NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner $1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T10:54:42 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: Quaze

Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I'm getting a whiff of envy in the thread. Weren't prices insane when guys like me came in and "took over" early this decade?

Guys like you....sure pal.    That one SE you finally managed to own really threw a Curtis Curve into the retro market.

I think you forget how close I was to a full CIB set. The “top” titles I were missing at one point we’re down to just a handful and I was even working on N64 at one point.

I remember back in NA chat I was called “insane” for paying $200 for a loose Samson, and I think it was $2400 for a CIB Samson+BB2+F2 from wrldstrman.

But regardless, I’m talking about the previous “wave” of new collectors like me. Not me specifically. Even Omar wasn’t that great and mighty on his own.

I used to be a part of an audiophile forum called Head-fi.org, and among all the people there just for the fun of the hobby and to make some new pals, there was this one guy that was always wrapped up in some weird drama.

His posts were always the serious quote trains in a thread thread, in between all the people having a light and fun discussion about the newest headphones or amplifiers. He was always posting about the earliest days of a site, name-dropping all the long-gone former users by their real names as opposed to their screen names (that even people who had been there for years didn't recognize or remember), and highlighting all the old controversies all the time with super tl;dr posts. He was always involved in a number soured deals/agreements/relationships, having these mile-long-post serious debates about versions of events, "he said/she said" situations, and basically just making a bunch of enemies and bringing shitty energy to the hobby etc etc. He didn't seem to really be enjoying himself anymore, and by the time I stopped going to the site he had this almost political take on his involvement in the hobby. It looked like the fun was so dried up for him and I always just wanted to ask him what he was doing there or what joy he was deriving from his time there.

Anyways posts like these remind me of that guy. I wonder what ol' AnalogHeart is doing these days. Maybe he switched over to video games and is reading this XD If so I hope you find the peace here you never found on Head-Fi brother, welcome XD
   Its like you are in my head. Still sad we couldnt see each other this weekend. 😀

]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T10:39:12 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: Prime2099

Originally posted by: Maertens29

Originally posted by: Prime2099

The thing that gets me about these 1st print games is that the game itself is the same to every release after that correct? The only difference being that the box is different than subsequent releases?

No, the cartridges also have variations that need to be correctly matched to the box variations.

But the game, the actual gameplay I mean is the same, right? Because I understand the whole 5-screw vs 3 screw thing, which to me is another irrelevant variant because it has nothing to do with the operation of the game itself, which is the point I was trying to make. Also I understand and respect that people are big into the variations for both the boxes and the carts, but these guys spending massive amounts of money for a first print just seems crazy to me. At least I am not the only one who thinks that from reading this thread.

]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T10:30:43 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I'm getting a whiff of envy in the thread. Weren't prices insane when guys like me came in and "took over" early this decade?

Guys like you....sure pal.    That one SE you finally managed to own really threw a Curtis Curve into the retro market.

I think you forget how close I was to a full CIB set. The “top” titles I were missing at one point we’re down to just a handful and I was even working on N64 at one point.

I remember back in NA chat I was called “insane” for paying $200 for a loose Samson, and I think it was $2400 for a CIB Samson+BB2+F2 from wrldstrman.

But regardless, I’m talking about the previous “wave” of new collectors like me. Not me specifically. Even Omar wasn’t that great and mighty on his own.
I used to be a part of an audiophile forum called Head-fi.org, and among all the people there just for the fun of the hobby and to make some new pals, there was this one guy that was always wrapped up in some weird drama.

His posts were always the serious quote trains in a thread thread, in between all the people having a light and fun discussion about the newest headphones or amplifiers. He was always posting about the earliest days of a site, name-dropping all the long-gone former users by their real names as opposed to their screen names (that even people who had been there for years didn't recognize or remember), and highlighting all the old controversies all the time with super tl;dr posts. He was always involved in a number soured deals/agreements/relationships, having these mile-long-post serious debates about versions of events, "he said/she said" situations, and basically just making a bunch of enemies and bringing shitty energy to the hobby etc etc. He didn't seem to really be enjoying himself anymore, and by the time I stopped going to the site he had this almost political take on his involvement in the hobby. It looked like the fun was so dried up for him and I always just wanted to ask him what he was doing there or what joy he was deriving from his time there.

Anyways posts like these remind me of that guy. I wonder what ol' AnalogHeart is doing these days. Maybe he switched over to video games and is reading this XD If so I hope you find the peace here you never found on Head-Fi brother, welcome XD
   ]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T09:45:57 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 $1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T09:44:24 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: Prime2099

The thing that gets me about these 1st print games is that the game itself is the same to every release after that correct? The only difference being that the box is different than subsequent releases?

No, the cartridges also have variations that need to be correctly matched to the box variations.

But the game, the actual gameplay I mean is the same, right? Because I understand the whole 5-screw vs 3 screw thing, which to me is another irrelevant variant because it has nothing to do with the operation of the game itself, which is the point I was trying to make. Also I understand and respect that people are big into the variations for both the boxes and the carts, but these guys spending massive amounts of money for a first print just seems crazy to me. At least I am not the only one who thinks that from reading this thread.
Usually, but not always.   Sometimes there are subtle changes (Tecmo rosters, Mario 3 spelling/grammar errors), and then some fix glitches (Turok Rage Wars, No Mercy).
  ]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-20T02:48:29 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: RalliArtEvo

Originally posted by: jonebone

I remember a time when most high end items traded privately. Now everyone wants the sales price documented so they can lure more unsuspecting speculators into the market to continue the Ponzi scheme. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this?

100k mario, article.
Someone spending 500k in video games, article.
1 million on games, article.
Go collect buying Dains collection and now dumping the vast majority on HA... creating public sales prices. We'll get an article too, dont worry.

It's literally a Ponzi scheme at this point. How many people can you try and recruit to the hobby....

I had very similar thoughts as you. Another trend I've noticed is WATA games and Heritage Auctions are always interviewed in these same articles. 
Because WATA / Heritage are the ones pushing these articles. It’s not like journalists are traveling the country looking for these stories. These are press releases. WATA & Heritage are trying to kickstart the next hot collectibles market. Every one of these stories is an ad.
  ]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-19T23:54:11 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 $1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-19T23:08:20 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: Prime2099

I have never understood the whole collectibility of "3 and 5 screw variants ,to me it does not make the game anymore collectible or valuable because of how many screws keep the cart together ..Too me that is just plain non-sense ..
  ]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-19T22:39:37 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142
Same deal as in comics. Or books, music, toys, etc. Reprint has the same stuff inside, but collecting for collecting's sake still wants the earlier version. It's more rare, more original, more whatever treasured quality. ]]>
$1,000,000 collection amassed http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=189048 2019-10-19T22:18:01 -05.00 SardoNumspar 142 Originally posted by: Maertens29

But the game, the actual gameplay I mean is the same, right? Because I understand the whole 5-screw vs 3 screw thing, which to me is another irrelevant variant because it has nothing to do with the operation of the game itself, which is the point I was trying to make. Also I understand and respect that people are big into the variations for both the boxes and the carts, but these guys spending massive amounts of money for a first print just seems crazy to me. At least I am not the only one who thinks that from reading this thread. ]]>