NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-22T21:32:05 -05.00 attakid101 75
But when it came to 2017, however, I was going to do a complete Japanese run portable Dragon Quest games. Between Mandarake, Luida's Bar, eBay, and one other online store I was around nine games away from having every variant published by both Enix and Square Enix. This excluding "first press" sticker variants since there was no difference when it came to the packaging. But I ended up quitting for a number of reasons. With parts of it being why I will not try to do a Switch version of this goal.

And still might not. Unless they announce numerous versions of Dragon Quest Monsters 3. Then I'll wedge it in. Because the main Monsters line of games are my favorite and I am officially burnt out waiting for Shin Megami Tensei V. ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-22T11:49:47 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: rlh

Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: romiked2689

Idk how you full set collectors do it. More power to you. I know I'd be bothered by all the shovelware that exists for each system if I were to go after a full set. Not to mention how expensive a full set must be and how much time it takes to complete a set.

I agree so much with shovel ware being the killer for me. I recently got all the super rare games co. Switch set and I'm already over it. So many turds 

I know when I made my choice to get seriously into collecting a set, I had a short list of sets I desired and then I slimmed it down until I had one that felt "right".  Quantity was important and though I expected some shovelware, I didn't want a system with shovelware titles outnumbering titles that at least the developers really put effort into them.

I settled on the GB because the form factor is small, I loved my GB as a kid, just over 500 games and legit shovelware never really hit that system.  IMHO, that didn't start until the GBA era.

Alternative systems I considered were the N64 (lol, I didn't know everyone else felt that way too), the NES (onle SE kept me from choosing this, cause I'm not dropping +$5,000 for a game), the Game Gear (which I'll likely pick up next) and I dreamed momentarily of going for a CIB PS1 set but then I laughed at that idea after 30 seconds of research.

Anyway, now that I've been doing this for four years, I have to say what's most fun is hunting down the rare stuff that no one thinks to look for.  This is usually game variants, and errors that had a run long enough that they can be found with enough searching.  Plus, variant hunting is a way to cheapily enjoy the thrill of the hunt without having to drop a ton of money for something rare.  I'm actually enjoying that more than finishing my GB set, of which I only need 35 more titles... I'm getting so close.

A couple of questions What are your favorite Gameboy games? And for variants, do you count those as necessary to complete a set?

#1.  Many of the old classics were classics for a reason and arr still some of my favorites.  The couple of games that I'd never heard of and fell in love with from this process were Trax (which in some wierd way just get's what it's doing right, but doesn't look special), and Xenon 2.

#2.  Nooooo, I do not include having every variant as having a complete set.  This is partly because many of them are super rare, and also because a few of us round here that are looking still find unknown variants every month or two.  This is cart only too, and they are often only minor changes to the label and you only notice it by the bump in revision.  Last was found by Splain was Castlevania Adventure.  I've only seen his copy and the only difference beside the serial number is that beside the logo on the sticker is a (R) rather than a (TM).  He found the revision and then it took a while for me to actually spot the difference!

Nice! Might have to look into traxing Trax down. It looks interesting. And that makes sense about the variants. Cool that you guys are still finding new ones!
Trax is a Hal Labs game (people behind Kirby). It's a shooter game. It's difficult to find that game cib, I've been looking for about a year, but you can buy the loose version pretty easiliy if condition is not an issue. There are many great shooters on the gameboy, he also mentioned Xenon 2, which is pretty rare and even the loose cart is expensive for a gameboy game. Another game that I would recomend is the original Game & Watch Gallery for the gameboy. That game (on a sp 001) is straight magic. And Sword of Hope. I just started playing this game and it might be the best rpg I've ever played. It's a throwback to the text-based dungeon crawlers and the writing is superb. I don't know why I like it so much, but it feeds your imagination so well. Like when you walk into the room and use the "look" command and it says the room has a foul stench. With the Link's Awakening, as great as that is, you really don't get a sense of the world like you do with Sword of Hope.
  ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T19:01:39 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: rlh

Idk how you full set collectors do it. More power to you. I know I'd be bothered by all the shovelware that exists for each system if I were to go after a full set. Not to mention how expensive a full set must be and how much time it takes to complete a set.

I agree so much with shovel ware being the killer for me. I recently got all the super rare games co. Switch set and I'm already over it. So many turds 

I know when I made my choice to get seriously into collecting a set, I had a short list of sets I desired and then I slimmed it down until I had one that felt "right".  Quantity was important and though I expected some shovelware, I didn't want a system with shovelware titles outnumbering titles that at least the developers really put effort into them.

I settled on the GB because the form factor is small, I loved my GB as a kid, just over 500 games and legit shovelware never really hit that system.  IMHO, that didn't start until the GBA era.

Alternative systems I considered were the N64 (lol, I didn't know everyone else felt that way too), the NES (onle SE kept me from choosing this, cause I'm not dropping +$5,000 for a game), the Game Gear (which I'll likely pick up next) and I dreamed momentarily of going for a CIB PS1 set but then I laughed at that idea after 30 seconds of research.

Anyway, now that I've been doing this for four years, I have to say what's most fun is hunting down the rare stuff that no one thinks to look for.  This is usually game variants, and errors that had a run long enough that they can be found with enough searching.  Plus, variant hunting is a way to cheapily enjoy the thrill of the hunt without having to drop a ton of money for something rare.  I'm actually enjoying that more than finishing my GB set, of which I only need 35 more titles... I'm getting so close.

A couple of questions What are your favorite Gameboy games? And for variants, do you count those as necessary to complete a set?

#1.  Many of the old classics were classics for a reason and arr still some of my favorites.  The couple of games that I'd never heard of and fell in love with from this process were Trax (which in some wierd way just get's what it's doing right, but doesn't look special), and Xenon 2.

#2.  Nooooo, I do not include having every variant as having a complete set.  This is partly because many of them are super rare, and also because a few of us round here that are looking still find unknown variants every month or two.  This is cart only too, and they are often only minor changes to the label and you only notice it by the bump in revision.  Last was found by Splain was Castlevania Adventure.  I've only seen his copy and the only difference beside the serial number is that beside the logo on the sticker is a (R) rather than a (TM).  He found the revision and then it took a while for me to actually spot the difference!

Nice! Might have to look into traxing Trax down. It looks interesting. And that makes sense about the variants. Cool that you guys are still finding new ones! ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T15:40:31 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: yukfou

]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T15:25:13 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: rlh

A couple of questions What are your favorite Gameboy games? And for variants, do you count those as necessary to complete a set? ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T15:24:53 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: rlh

A couple of questions What are your favorite Gameboy games? And for variants, do you count those as necessary to complete a set? ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T08:39:18 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: romiked2689

I agree so much with shovel ware being the killer for me. I recently got all the super rare games co. Switch set and I’m already over it. So many turds 

Anyway, now that I've been doing this for four years, I have to say what's most fun is hunting down the rare stuff that no one thinks to look for.  This is usually game variants, and errors that had a run long enough that they can be found with enough searching.  Plus, variant hunting is a way to cheapily enjoy the thrill of the hunt without having to drop a ton of money for something rare.  I'm actually enjoying that more than finishing my GB set, of which I only need 35 more titles... I'm getting so close. ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-20T05:21:22 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: yukfou

I agree so much with shovel ware being the killer for me. I recently got all the super rare games co. Switch set and I’m already over it. So many turds 
  ]]>
Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-19T17:56:09 -05.00 attakid101 75 Have any of you full set collectors thrown in the towel? http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=188589 2019-09-19T16:59:21 -05.00 attakid101 75 Originally posted by: DarkKobold

Here's a question for everyone - does it count as "throwing in the towel" when you finish 99% of a set, but don't get "that" game? (For reference: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...)

I mean, I have a complete 3DO set, aside from DinoPark. A complete A'can set, aside from Rebel Star... etc, etc, etc.

I bet a lot of people here have NES sets they consider "complete" despite not having Stadium Events.
I think the Stadium Events/World Class Track Meet loophole could be argued with the NES. I don't really know about the other consoles though, but are those games simply expensive or are they the same as some other game?

However, people should just go by their own goals and be happy  
  ]]>