NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T23:26:11 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: guillavoie

I never noticed that,but then again I never,to my knowledge,pulled it off. Maybe I did. I dunno. Next time,I think you should reveal stuff like that before the contest is over....to challenge someone to beat your score with that knowledge. That way you can say you beat everyone even by giving them the strategy you used. Makes for more satisfying victories in my opinion. And if they beat it,well then congratulations. Either way great score man! In that particular case, I thought that it was such an oddball bonus that I preffered to keep it in my pocket. Plus, giving it out would have forced me to make a much higher score, and I wasn't really tempted to it play for hours. I deliberately stopped using it to go further in the game, but I could have stick to it.

In fact, to be totally honest, I like my competitors to hide their strategies from me. So, I think for myself that others might like that too, which is not always the case. We're just playing for one week, and I don't mind others keeping some secrets for that week. When it's over, we share and take note for future purpose. But I get what you mean though, and I may reveal that kind of stuff earlier to let others profit from it in the future.

Also, I'm not taking too much pride in this 1st place, that contest was borderline bogus I may say ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T22:25:01 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88
1st: 2,204,900 – guillavoie +11 points
2nd: 2,000,000 – rdrunner +10 points
3rd: 916,000 – Vectrex280996 +9 points
4th: 588,200 – ookii_risu +8 points
5th: 387,300 – bearcat-doug +7 points
6th: 348,900 – dev(2) +6 points
7th: 318,800 – gutsman004 +5 points
8th: 248,000 – Krunch +4 points
9th: 243,100 – link463 +3 points
10th: 210,700 – Caleb47 +2 points

PARTICIPATION

210,500 – Crabmaster2000 +1 point
122,100 – hitmantommy +1 point
110,400 – UPN +1 point
76,700 – Logo1285 +1 point
71,900 – EgasKrad +1 point
65,500 – RetroDave +1 point
61,700 – treismac +1 point
35,500 – GibbyVA +1 point ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T22:15:49 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 Originally posted by: guillavoie

Okay, I'd like to share the strange bonus I found in that game. I wanted to get picture to explain it, but right now we are reconfiguring the basement for the new TV and I can't play at the very moment.

It must be performed at the second bomb, but you can't do it before getting to the second boss. At the second boss, make sure to get it flashing red, and then die on purpose.

When you restart, you'll be immediately before the second bomb appears. You need to hit the bomb as soon as it appears on the right. I don't know if anyone found that too, but when you explode the bomb immediately when it appears, you get some sort of automatic 10kish bonus points. But, if you died when the boss is flashing red, you get something like 60kish bonus, and all the background graphics change to a green aesthetic, and remain like that for about 30 seconds (IIRC, you can also hear a specific sound when it turns green.)

What I found interesting, is that green variation of the landscape is coherent, even the land enemies look nice. I'll take pictures later tonight to show it off.

I never noticed that,but then again I never,to my knowledge,pulled it off. Maybe I did. I dunno. Next time,I think you should reveal stuff like that before the contest is over....to challenge someone to beat your score with that knowledge. That way you can say you beat everyone even by giving them the strategy you used. Makes for more satisfying victories in my opinion. And if they beat it,well then congratulations. Either way great score man! ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T22:00:35 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88
It must be performed at the second bomb, but you can't do it before getting to the second boss. At the second boss, make sure to get it flashing red, and then die on purpose.

When you restart, you'll be immediately before the second bomb appears. You need to hit the bomb as soon as it appears on the right. I don't know if anyone found that too, but when you explode the bomb immediately when it appears, you get some sort of automatic 10kish bonus points. But, if you died when the boss is flashing red, you get something like 60kish bonus, and all the background graphics change to a green aesthetic, and remain like that for about 30 seconds (IIRC, you can also hear a specific sound when it turns green.)

What I found interesting, is that green variation of the landscape is coherent, even the land enemies look nice. I'll take pictures later tonight to show it off.

]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T21:37:11 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 65500

]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T21:30:56 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: guillavoie

I agree with you Tonya, we should consider an official rule about this. But we need to judge everything case per case, cause there are multiple kind of situations that would be judged differently giving their nature.

For this week, let's just call it a loosy experience week

When I realized some players were getting how to profit from all those spots in the game, I felt that it was too late to step in and forbid this and that, especially cause we couldn't go back and make it a 1-life rule contest, which was the only real way to make it 100% fair around. So, I adopted the 'if you can't beat them, join them' philosophy, and to tell the truth, I had my fun finding the cheap ways to boost your score in the game, haha! Also, like Tom noted too, performing some of these stunts were not super cheesy easy. Being able to loop the game constantly was still the the best way to assure you to raise your score while keeping maximum lives count.

Well, now let's simply turn the page and focus on the next contest

What I'm going to do in regards to rules is take each game on a case by case basis.  If I feel there is a place in the game where there could be point racking spots, game glitches, or infinite loops that will cause problems, I will make it forbidden.  I feel such things should be judged differently given the rules I create for a certain game.  There may be times where point racking will be acceptable to add a twist to a contest.  I try to explore the games we play the best I can for unfair scoring spots, but occasionally I might miss something.  This is not intentional, and if we catch it early enough in the week, the rules can be altered to accomodate things.

I think that's fair,and as far as point racking goes,I think it should be allowed on occasion to add variety to the contests,just like using the 1 life rule,etc. I am just happy that these contests are being hosted and that the games being chosen,for the most part,are really fun to play. I just wish I had more time to invest in the contests,but having 2 jobs definitely puts a damper on that. ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T21:21:55 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 Originally posted by: guillavoie

I agree with you Tonya, we should consider an official rule about this. But we need to judge everything case per case, cause there are multiple kind of situations that would be judged differently giving their nature.

For this week, let's just call it a loosy experience week

When I realized some players were getting how to profit from all those spots in the game, I felt that it was too late to step in and forbid this and that, especially cause we couldn't go back and make it a 1-life rule contest, which was the only real way to make it 100% fair around. So, I adopted the 'if you can't beat them, join them' philosophy, and to tell the truth, I had my fun finding the cheap ways to boost your score in the game, haha! Also, like Tom noted too, performing some of these stunts were not super cheesy easy. Being able to loop the game constantly was still the the best way to assure you to raise your score while keeping maximum lives count.

Well, now let's simply turn the page and focus on the next contest

What I'm going to do in regards to rules is take each game on a case by case basis.  If I feel there is a place in the game where there could be point racking spots, game glitches, or infinite loops that will cause problems, I will make it forbidden.  I feel such things should be judged differently given the rules I create for a certain game.  There may be times where point racking will be acceptable to add a twist to a contest.  I try to explore the games we play the best I can for unfair scoring spots, but occasionally I might miss something.  This is not intentional, and if we catch it early enough in the week, the rules can be altered to accomodate things.
]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T19:36:25 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 Originally posted by: rdrunner

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Holy crap man! I have a question in general. What are you doing different from everyone else? Surely you take some sort of different approach than most or the rest of us to consistently post these amazing scores. Do you map out the areas to memorize where enemies will be,etc?
Not really sure what I do differently.  I had never played Terra Cresta before this week.  I can tell you my approach to this week if that helps...

I started out on GameFAQs.  I read everything that has been documented about the game.  I also googled the game to see if any web sites have anything interesting posted about them.  I stumbled upon a nice YouTube video where someone played through two loops.  Good stuff there.

Next, it was practice time.  To do this efficiently, I usually use a Game Genie, but since I don't own the game, I used save states.  I don't like to waste time playing through the easy levels only to fail at the place I'm stuck on.  Doing this lets me work on the hardest parts of the game with as many reps as possible.

Finally, I ditch the cheating devices and start playing.  I had a few lousy games before I discovered the "atomic dino" trick.  That got me my first 400k.  I tried another game with the trick and came up with 900k, but that was mostly luck.  I spent almost the whole game with a small number of lives.  Finally, I realized that I could do better by ignoring the trick and just playing the game straight.  First run after I decided to do that, I got the 2 million.

So there you have it.  Hope this helps!

It does help. Thank you! I do get on gamefaqs for the games I've never played before. Ad far as walkthroughs go,Terra Cresta doesn't get much love. I did watch a few videos,but many of them were using turbo controllers. I have used save states to practice before,but I got away from them for some reason. I guess I'll need to go back to thr drawing board. After seeing some of the latest scores,I realize I'm not as good at this game as I thought I was. Blah. Overall I really do like this game and hope to get a cart of it at some point. And it does remind me to Xevious Tom,but more fun and with better music. ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T19:27:12 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88 248,000

Not much time to play this week but I'm happy with this score. No "Atomic Dino" trick here, but I die often on the first boss (the one that won't lesve the screen) and I respawn before a set of bombs so I'm sure points were unintentionally pressed.

Excited for next contest, 1-life...(and maybe design mode?) ]]>
NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Terra Cresta http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=103930 2013-06-02T18:27:50 -05.00 bimmy_lee 88