Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"For Display Only" SNES boxes Are they legit?

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:39:08 PM
soundwave925 (32)
(Adam Wilson) < Crack Trooper >
California
Hello there fellow nintendoagers!

So I have been hunting down CIBs or box only of most of the hard to find snes games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Kirby Super Star, etc., and as most of you know, its not easy to find them in near mint quality without paying some kind of premium, which is a lot of money to put it lightly. Well I came across these on ebay and was wondering if anyone else here has some kind of knowledge or experience with them.

I have been contemplating on getting some of them but also very hesitent. Are they really OFFICIAL "For Display Only" boxes or are they just reproduction boxes? Sellers are claiming them to be real and have multiple copies on hand which is one reason why I'm feeling kinda sketch about the whole thing. Also the prices seem to be all over the place, $24, $34........$70!!!

Just wanted to get some more opinions before I decide to get them or not get them. Thanks for all your guys's help

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 02:46 PM by soundwave925

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:44:12 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Yeah I think your seeing Tcvidiot's boxes. I'm pretty sure they are legit. He has had those listed forever (like 2+ years). I know Techbabe has a ton for cheap - around $15, but she is in the HOS here and a pain to deal with. I think her boxes are reproductions because the quality of her boxes is very poor. Maybe the "for display only" boxes are poorer quality than originals?

Also I think these boxes were shipped out in bulk, so it makes sense that sellers would have a ton of them on hand. The majority of these are unused so it should be easy to find them in nice shape.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:58:41 PM
soundwave925 (32)
(Adam Wilson) < Crack Trooper >
California
hhhmmm interesting, thanks for the info. Would you recommend them as the best alternatives to original boxes?