Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is this a clone of the AVS and/or NESRGB??

May 23, 2017 at 7:18:52 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I found this on ebay while looking for a Famicom controller that plugs into the Famicom expansion port. It uses a couple of FPGA chips and what looks to be either a Famicom/NES CPU or PPU on the bottom. It looks like a very well made Famiclone, with RGB output. Not bad if I may say so, but I wonder how it works if I all I see is one CPU/PPU chip and then a couple of FPGA chips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Famic...

Edit: Or maybe it's using a Famicom/NES CPU chip and then just has an NESRGB clone built on it? It possibly uses the FPGA to replace the PPU and also output RGB. That's my guess on how it works if it's outputting VGA along with different palletes.

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 09:25 AM by roadkill

May 23, 2017 at 11:56:59 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
I remember that being around on nesdev a couple years back.

May 24, 2017 at 12:15:23 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I don't think the AVS ever had an RGB prototype. IIRC, it was always an HDMI solution (originally for the toploader.)

Probably someone else's project.

Edited: 05/24/2017 at 12:16 AM by Tulpa

May 24, 2017 at 12:56:47 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
It is probably the (abandoned?) UniversalPPU project. NESRGB needs to piggyback off a real PPU which isn't there.

May 25, 2017 at 9:29:51 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

It is probably the (abandoned?) UniversalPPU project. NESRGB needs to piggyback off a real PPU which isn't there.

Oh ok, I never heard of the Universal PPU project before. I just mentioned NESRGB or even possibly your AVS because I've never seen any other Famiclone like this before, and it has FPGA chips on it (although I just recently learnt that your AVS doesn't use the Cyclone II FPGA chip). Thanks for the clarification.

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that