Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Dreamcast turns 20 today! 9-9-99

Sep 09 at 7:18:52 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I remember seeing them when they came out but we got an N64 around that same time so I was hooked on that.

Ended up with one at my Grandma's house when she got them clearanced out in like 2001 or 2002. She would play Bust A Move 4(?) and Wetrix and eventually she bought us a small stack of games for Xmas one year. I remember Sonic Adventure 2, Gundam Sidestory, NFL 2k1, Jedi Power Battles, Star Wars Demolition, and King of Fighters 99. My brother later bought Record of Lodoss War from one of his friend and we snuck it to Grandmas one day after church and hid it because it was rated M (we were like 14-16 at the time) He played the hell out of it whenever we were over and never let me play it

-------------------------
WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Sep 09 at 8:17:13 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Post image

Sep 09 at 8:44:36 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I got one in 2001 when the burned discs were available to download. Played the shit out of Tokyo Xtreme Racer

Oh I forgot about that one I had this one too played it a lot until I got crazy taxi 

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Sep 10 at 12:40:22 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
With the mini craz, wonder at when they will have their own being reissued

Sep 10 at 12:40:30 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Happy 20, DC!

Man, I feel old now. I was 16 when that console came out. lol

*glares* ...I was 25 :/ 

lol I was 1 year old. Those were the days...

I eventually got one in 2011. Crazy Taxi 1&2 are great. Space Channel 5 and Sonic Adventure are also fun. I played Shenmue up until disc 2. I will finish it someday whether its the original or the PS4 rerelease. I'd like to find SEGA's arcade racers sometime. Specifically Sega Rally 2 and 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker. I used to play 18 Wheeler at a Chuck E Cheese!

Sep 10 at 10:09:48 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I remember it but not super vividly. I do remember wanting one badly and two of my friends got one and I was really jealous. But I literally just started working at that point and I made almost no money so I couldn't afford it. Plus I had N64 and was heavily into that so my parents justified it as me not needing another console. I always wanted one, and bought one used about 2 or 3 years ago and it didn't work so I returned it and just said screw it. Most of the games I wanted on DC are on other platforms anyway.

Sep 10 at 10:17:49 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
This was a few years later and this was the GC versions but when I first played the Sonic Adventure games in my college days (early 2000s) I just could not get over how CUTE those little Chao were! ^^ And I thought it was neat how in Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) you could even unlock a Chao Heaven and a Chao Hell   That being said, I couldn't believe or understand at the time how people at GameFAQs could be so mean to them  

Now torturing Omochao on the other hand...hee hee...

*holding Omochao* Hey! Stop it! Let me go!
Me: Awww you are so cute!
Omochao: What do you think you're doing??
Me: But Chao love to be snuggled, isn't that what you said in the tutorial?
Omochao: Why don't you get yourself a teddy bear?
Me: Why don't you get yourself an attitude adjustment?  

Omochao: Press B button to lock on...
Me: Okay...*locks on to Omochao*
Omochao: Release to fire a homing missile...
Me: Okay...*missile hits Omochao*
Omochao: Owie! I can't believe you did that to me! Why would you do something like that!?
Me: I was just doing what you said!

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 09:26 PM by Estil

Sep 10 at 10:46:05 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
The only thing I remember Dreamcast having was better sports games the 2K games, Power Stone and the best version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I don't know of any other standout games, and I was still feeling the burn from lack of games on Saturn.

Sep 10 at 11:06:40 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
My very first experience with Dreamcast was at a friend's place and the only game he had at the time was the Sega Bass fishing game. It was actually a lot of fun. Dead or Alive 2 was the next game I got to play and at the time I was very impressed with how great it looked and how smooth it played.

I opted for a PS2 when the time came for me to pick a system, and I don't regret that decision. But Dreamcast had a ton of good things going for it, and was ahead of it's time with the web browser function.

Sep 10 at 11:39:47 AM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
My neighbor picked up her DC on the exact day of launch, it was amazing to me to see this brand new console with a fresh stack of games. We suffered through the initial copy of Ready 2 Rumble Boxing that would skip/freeze often, and I remember this particular system being really loud with it's motor.

Years later I had my own system but mainly bought it for Resident Evil 2/3, and the amazing SNK fighter ports (Last Blade 2, Mark of the Wolves, KoF Dream Match '99).  

Sep 10 at 9:25:26 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2005, been a huge fan of it ever since.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 11 at 1:14:24 PM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Traded in all of my N64 stuff to get one on launch day. No regerts.

It has the best launch lineup of all time and amazing support from Capcom.

The controller is terrible though. At the time, it was great but the analog/d-pad is atrocious now.

Sep 11 at 2:58:13 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Silent Hill

The controller is terrible though. At the time, it was great but the analog/d-pad is atrocious now.

Agreed. I like the arcade stick and the Ascii pad though. I avoid using the standard controller whenever possible.

Sep 11 at 3:23:22 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
One of the few things that seems like it is older than it is. Seems like it's been around a lot longer than 20 years but I guess my age probably has a lot to do with that. I remember playing Power Stone at my cousins when it first came out an I was pretty impressed. Already balls deep in the 64 and didn't have that kind of money back then. Ended up saving for a PS2 instead.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 11 at 11:50:44 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I know I’m late to the party but I’ve been in Disney World for the past couple of days, so I’m giving myself pass.I’ve wanted a DC for two games only, which i’ve still yet to play on the DC— Tony Hawk 1 & 2. They look like the best versions of those classics that I love, so I have to get those games some day. And speaking of Disney World, I saw this behind the check-in counter here at Pop Century for a 90s display. Fitting for the 20th b-day of the Dreamcast, and for me since I love the Game Boy. (And yes, I am aware that the GB really came out in the 80s.)

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 12 at 12:21:55 AM
GamingSuperHero (24)

(Game Super Hero) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
got my dc at microplay for 79.99cad in late 2000(about a year after it came out). For some reason I remember some guy buying a copy of phantasy star online and thought why is he buying that? you can just burn it.. Thinking back now that must have been cool playing the online service at the time of its peak. I also remember when crazy taxi 2 came out and my brother came home with it and another controller a vmu and two used games tomb raider revelations and sega gt. I remember telling him why did you buy these? i could have burned them.. It was well spent in the end since i actually started to collect dc originals years later. I miss the times of seeing dc games at ebgames, compucentre and zellers at one of the local malls.

Sep 12 at 2:29:11 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Silent Hill

I don't know if I'd say "terrible" exactly...but at the time I did find it really bulky and just plain weird.  Why did they make the controller so gigantic yet made the four face buttons (is that the right term?) so tiny?  And what was up with that weird upside down controller cord?

I mean I know it has had a cult following from the very start and especially since its retirement in 2002(?) but outside of the Sonic Adventures (which are on GC with bonus stuff) I don't really personally see anything that special about it in terms of exclusives, at least nowhere near enough to justify having another whole console (actually two; it wouldn't make sense to have GEN/SMS and DC and then leave a gen cap by not also havig a Saturn) plugged into my 20" CRT (I mean I already have seven consoles hooked up to it for Pete's sakes, plus another three on my 32" HDTV/computer monitor).

If I really did want to add another console to my collection someday, my first choice by far would be a Light Sixer Atari 2600 (with AV mod of course) and a Harmony cartridge.  What can I say?  I'm all about retro/history sorts of things (well not that the DC is not by now retro/history, well...you kinda know what I mean).

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 09/12/2019 at 02:30 AM by Estil

Sep 12 at 7:50:53 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
The console that gave the world big the cat...........

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here