Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS In the Pipe (waiting) Hello other AVS owners

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:13:46 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Hello all, I joined nintendoage recently and one reason is I have ordered an AVS from retrousb. 

I'm looking forward to HD NES'ing. 

How many of you out there have ordered the AVS for the next summer batch?

Also, current AVS owners, how you liking the system thus far?

Edited: 07/09/2017 at 11:21 AM by pezmed

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:23:15 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I ordered my AVS the day after Christmas last year. Still waiting on it, sadly.

-------------------------

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:29:51 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: pezmed

Love it. It's really hard to put into words.

I'm looking forward to further firmware updates, as well as possibly a more rigid USB port and less-rigid cartridge connector, but I've fortunately not hit any compatibility issues or other problems. I've thrown a lot of random homebrew and pirate carts at this thing (both 72 and 60-pin) and haven't personally experienced a single problem. 

I guess my only real "complaint" is that the console ruins the experience on my others, haha. I have a toaster hooked up on a second TV via RCA and it's just a night-and-day difference. Not to mention that's also a flat-panel and I have noticable latency compared with the AVS.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:32:48 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: Gloves

That was much earlier than me. I ordered June 16th. I already psyched myself up to not worry about when it gets here.

To help with my compulsion/A.D.D. problems, I went ahead and re-purchased an orginal NES (I had sold my originial '85 Christmas NES, I got as a kid, years ago) and buying plenty of games. That's helping my problem but not my wallet.  

Edited: 07/07/2017 at 11:33 AM by pezmed

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:36:10 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

That was much earlier than me. I ordered June 16th. I already psyched myself up to not worry about when it gets here.

To help with my compulsion/A.D.D. problems, I went ahead and re-purchased an orginal NES (I had sold my originial '85 Christmas NES, I got as a kid, years ago) and buying plenty of games. That's helping my problem but not my wallet.  

I wasn't worrying about when it'd get here back when I ordered it in December and the estimated arrival was in April/May. Now it's over half a year later and the estimated date has been pushed back to (maybe) August. It's hard to keep trucking and stay positive having waited so long, but I know that it's primarily issues with the Chinese factory, and not so much the fault of the seller.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:38:09 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

I'm looking forward to further firmware updates, as well as possibly a more rigid USB port and less-rigid cartridge connector, but I've fortunately not hit any compatibility issues or other problems. I've thrown a lot of random homebrew and pirate carts at this thing (both 72 and 60-pin) and haven't personally experienced a single problem. 

I guess my only real "complaint" is that the console ruins the experience on my others, haha. I have a toaster hooked up on a second TV via RCA and it's just a night-and-day difference. Not to mention that's also a flat-panel and I have noticable latency compared with the AVS.
That's good about the latency, Rivets. I have a 11 year old 46 inch Samsung I use in game mode for my toaster. I don't notice any lag to be honest (playing Mega Man 2 right now, so that's a good test). I do plan on hooking up my AVS to my ASUS 27'' IPS ROG monitor that has great response times. So I think I'll be good with low latency/lag issues. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:42:06 AM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

I wasn't worrying about when it'd get here back when I ordered it in December and the estimated arrival was in April/May. Now it's over half a year later and the estimated date has been pushed back to (maybe) August. It's hard to keep trucking and stay positive having waited so long, but I know that it's primarily issues with the Chinese factory, and not so much the fault of the seller.
I totally can understand your concern waiting that long. Yeah, that Chinese New Year I've heard stories about. RetroUSB looks to have top respect in the community so I'm sure it will get to us eventually. In the meantime, I'm finding many things to occupy my time (NES game collecting, 3D printing, keyboard building, lol..)

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:58:07 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

That's good about the latency, Rivets. I have a 11 year old 46 inch Samsung I use in game mode for my toaster. I don't notice any lag to be honest (playing Mega Man 2 right now, so that's a good test). I do plan on hooking up my AVS to my ASUS 27'' IPS ROG monitor that has great response times. So I think I'll be good with low latency/lag issues. 
my experience is respectfully the oppisite of barrels. the avs has made me appreciate my front loader / crt 100x over again. 

also as for lag. thats my main issue with the avs. you cant just throw it on any lcd flat screen. you really have to do your homework researching what tv is best for no lag. ive heard monitor is actually the best option for the avs. 

some people have no issues with lag on the avs. and its not noticable on most games even smb3 but i can def tell when playing mike tyson punch out. so i know its there on all games and for that reason have stop using it for serious play or even posting score with it. its nice for a casual play and visually it is amazing. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:59:29 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

ouch. that deserves a discount imo   

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:00:21 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I just want the damn console lol.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:02:00 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I just want the damn console lol.
lol   

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:05:57 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I want the replacement connector.  

Last year's batch had some delays, too. It's China(town.)

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:10:28 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

my experience is respectfully the oppisite of barrels. the avs has made me appreciate my front loader / crt 100x over again. 

also as for lag. thats my main issue with the avs. you cant just throw it on any lcd flat screen. you really have to do your homework researching what tv is best for no lag. ive heard monitor is actually the best option for the avs. 

some people have no issues with lag on the avs. and its not noticable on most games even smb3 but i can def tell when playing mike tyson punch out. so i know its there on all games and for that reason have stop using it for serious play or even posting score with it. its nice for a casual play and visually it is amazing. 

Considering you've invested in the AVS, have you considered finding a TV where you do not have the lag? I know I read from Bunny on here that the AVS has no lag from the console itself. TV's are fairly cheap these days (even monitors). There may be a good online site that talks about good TV's to use for gaming. I would defintely do that if my TV had noticeable lag.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:11:35 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Tulpa, is that the weak USB connection you are talking about? Do we know if the new units have this issue fixed?

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:12:31 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Tulpa, is that the weak USB connection you are talking about? Do we know if the new units have this issue fixed?

They do, yes.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:14:29 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

They do, yes.
Awesome  

Edited: 07/07/2017 at 12:17 PM by pezmed

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:17:52 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

They redesigned the USB connector with a through-board design. Last year's batches had two screws to reinforce all but the very first shipment (RetroUSB will repair any unit that does break.) It was actually a pretty minor problem, and they're supposed to create a 3D printed brace for any unreinforced units.

The pin connector issue was separate. It only affected any games that had a green strip across the pin connectors.

These games do work if you insert the game by pushing left side first. But the new units have improved connectors and a replacement drop-in connector should be available as well.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:19:44 PM
Gutling (133)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Pre-ordered mine feb 6th this year. Excited to one day get it lol

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:19:53 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Considering you've invested in the AVS, have you considered finding a TV where you do not have the lag? I know I read from Bunny on here that the AVS has no lag from the console itself. TV's are fairly cheap these days (even monitors). There may be a good online site that talks about good TV's to use for gaming. I would defintely do that if my TV had noticeable lag.

yes i have an avs. whats cheap, another $150-$200? 

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:21:17 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
id like to get a good monitor that works with the avs for no lag. im not buying another tv tho.

the avs introduces no lag its the tv.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:23:23 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

id like to get a good monitor that works with the avs for no lag. im not buying another tv tho.

I understand the costs. I'm not one to talk as I don't do good saving money at times. 

Have you tried any other consoles on that TV (XBOX, Playstation, etc..)? Just curious if the lag in inherent across the board.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:23:43 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Not to speak for Tulpa, but I believe he's referring to the replacement cartridge connectors.  He and I were pretty active in the "green strip" discussions that occurred shortly after launch and have both been waiting for the updated replacement connectors to resolve that issue since.  Without buying a new system, there's not really any way to get a replcaement USB connector.  The ones originally used can be secured to the board via nylon washers, screws & nuts, but so far as I know bunnyboy isn't offering to "upgrade" any existing units to the through-hole component that was supposed to be used for the USB this time around.

Also, I saw on the retroUSB Facebook page last night that the wireless controllers have arrived, so I'm assuming that it means that the new batch of systems and the replacement connectors have either arrived as well or can't be far behind.  Fingers crossed!

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:26:59 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

If you're still open to considering a TV, you could always do what I did (after asking, of course) and bring the AVS to your retailer of choice and test it out on the sets that you're considering.  As my cheap RCA TV adds no lag, I did just to see if it would be allowed (everybody was ok with it, even Walmart) in preparation for the day when I want to replace the current set.  Can't hurt to ask!

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:32:26 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

If you're still open to considering a TV, you could always do what I did (after asking, of course) and bring the AVS to your retailer of choice and test it out on the sets that you're considering.  As my cheap RCA TV adds no lag, I did just to see if it would be allowed (everybody was ok with it, even Walmart) in preparation for the day when I want to replace the current set.  Can't hurt to ask!

this is def the plan for my next tv/monitor purchase   

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:37:19 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

this is def the plan for my next tv/monitor purchase   

If/when you do, consider taking along a USB battery pack (if you've got one) to hook the system up to.  It made it a lot easier for me, as most of the time (Walmart being the exception, but possibly because the guy was so excited about seeing an AVS) the folks who work there wanted to hook everything to the TV themselves.  One less thing for them to fiddle with and no chance of not being able to test a set due to the onboard USB not putting out enough power (which happens--my RCA will technically power my Fire and Chrome sticks but both bitch about there not being enough power and demand to to be connected to an external charger).