Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SuperVision Mega Man 6 Famicom cart

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:10:16 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I just came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...010&item=200039634859

This is only the 2nd Famicom cart I've come across from SuperVision. I figure someone on here might be interested

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:09:37 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Pretty cool Speedy! I have never seen one like that before. The only ones I have seen had pretty much the same generic lable the NES ones have just smaller. Not a bad price either really. If I collected Fami stuff I would snag that in a second.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:34:29 AM
jajaja (8)
(jajaja jajaja) < El Ripper >
Other
Excuse my ignorance, but what is so cool with SuperVision, its just pirate carts?

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:37:33 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Nothing super special about SuperVision games -- they're extremely common for the NES, but I think what Speedy was saying is that they're a lot more uncommon for the Famicom (AFAIK).

-Dain

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:49:08 AM
jajaja (8)
Other
But why is a pirate with SuperVision logo more wanted than a "normal" pirate, even if its the same game.

Edited: 10/24/2006 at 08:49 AM by jajaja

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:58:16 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium
I guess they're cool because they have their logo branded into the carts, and other details like the boxes that some, if not all, of their games came in.

NGD, I have a Famicom SuperVision cart with a multicart label. They're basically just another pirate company if you look at it that way

Speaking of SuperVision, I also came across a SuperVision Famicom to NES converter recently that I'm gonna try and get my hands on

Edited: 10/24/2006 at 08:59 AM by Speedy_NES

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:59:43 AM
JC (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
It's kind of unfortunate, actually. For some reason people see a name brand pirate and think it's cooler than any other pirate just because it's got the company name on it. I think it has to do with the aura of quality that name brands typically have. I don't care one way or another; I like all pirates.

And I saw this auction a few days ago, but I thought the price was too high. Because there are so many Famicom pirates, more than NES, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for this one, even with the converter. Just isn't all that special.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:20:36 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I have to agree -- it seems that pirate games that were organized enough to have their own logos, nicer labels, etc, tend to be more popular (such as SuperVision, Video Deon, HKGCC, etc...). Personally, I have so many SuperVision games that I don't even go for them anymore unless it's dirt cheap (<= $10 shipped).

I agree that the price they're asking is too much.

-Dain

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:11:36 AM
jajaja (8)
Other
Ok, i knew it was a collecting thing of course, but if its better quality it makes more sense
Thanks.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:23:25 PM
JC (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
That's the thing...it's not necessarily better quality. You have to ask yourself: better than what? It's just an aura of better quality because it's got a nice clean looking label and the brand name imprinted. I'm not saying the Supervisions are crap, but I'm saying there are lots of non-name brand pirate carts of the same and better quality as the Supervisions, with beautiful, creative labels and perfectly functioning games. Hell, some of the non-name brand carts come with boxes and manuals -- highly organized, and yet without a name brand. Plus, it's often that the non-name brand pirates come with ports, hacks and originals...though you'll find name brand ones, too.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:45:18 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the SuperVisions actually contain EPROMs, whereas many other, cheaper pirates have those really small PCBs with that black stuff on them. I find that the heavier, sturdier carts are of better quality, as I've never had one that didn't work, but I have had light-weight pirate carts that didn't work. I guess the difference is somewhat comparable to the difference between the sturdy old school NES/Famicom clones (i.e. Pegasus series) and the latest NES-on-a-chip lightweight pieces of ****.

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:25:39 PM
JC (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
For one, when looking at an auction, it's hard to tell what's inside the cart. You can sometimes guess by the design of the cart's plastic and label, but it's still hard to know for sure what's inside without holding the cart in your hand or opening the cart up. And also, even some of the older carts with 'PROMs have serious glitches because of improper programming. I've got some that hardly even work, though they've got the good stuff inside. I'd say that there's no surefire way to know whether you're getting a cart that's got fully functional games on it, programmed perfectly. Most of the dated carts, the newer ones (1996, 1998, 2000), have the small boards with that black glob in the center and work like a charm.

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:22:36 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I have to disagree here guys. I like Supervisions better than other multi carts. I find them very interesting and somewhat mysterious. Most of there products are good quality compared to a lot of other pirates and I think they just look good in general. Same with HKGC Inc stuff to me. I like all mutli carts don't get me wrong, but I just like the more well oraganized companies better. I guess it is just personel preferance. They do usually go for more than they are worth, but n00bs bid them up. My general rule of thumb is that I won't pay more than 30 shipped for any multi cart, unless it is one of the 2-3 that I really want like Cartridge Story 1.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread