Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reviews of AVS original games?

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:35:04 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >
Does anyone have any reviews of the AVS original 8-bit games (Solaris, Twelve Seconds, More Glider, Quadralords, A Winner is You, Assimilate, or Power Coloring)?  For $45 a pop, I want to know what I am buying. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:39:11 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
If I'm not mistaken, they are repurposed versions of the 8 bit Xmas games. Perhaps you'll have an easier time searching those?

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 07:39 PM by Bort License Plate

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:52:05 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >
No.  Not the same thing.  The 8 bit Xmas cartidges are limited release mini-games.  The games I listed are homebrews that Retro USB continues to sell on their site. 

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php...

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:01:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Quadralords should be the same on its X-mas cart. 2011 IIRC. The ROM should be on the Retrousb site.

It's basically an NES port of Atari's Warlords. If you have Vaus controllers, I would consider it.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:05 PM by Tulpa

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:02:22 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: fonzob1

No.  Not the same thing.  The 8 bit Xmas cartidges are limited release mini-games.  The games I listed are homebrews that Retro USB continues to sell on their site. 

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=36

You can always go to YouTube. Just saying!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:19:53 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Okay, good point.  I was able to find some demonstrations there, which gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect.  Quadralords might be the only game worth paying $45 for.  Solaris looks interesting (like an amped up Space Invaders), but I wouldn't pay $45 for it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:23:30 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Okay, good point.  I was able to find some demonstrations there, which gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect.  Quadralords might be the only game worth paying $45 for.  Solaris looks interesting (like an amped up Space Invaders), but I wouldn't pay $45 for it.

So you join the site to ask for reviews to be led to useful videos because you could not use Google yourself and you then crap on the games without playing them. Classy.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:24 PM by Mega Tank

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:33:24 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Buy Solaris, Quadralords, 12 Seconds, Assimilate, More Glider, and A Winner is you now. Power Coloring has always been more of a joke, I think, like a poke at Color A Dinosaur. I havent gotten it yet, but I will. All the others are worth more than $45, especially boxed.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:36:25 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >

So you join the site to ask for reviews to be led to useful videos because you could not use Google yourself and you then crap on the games without playing them. Classy.

What does class have to do with that scenario? 

Calling into question someone's class for no good reason?  Now that's "classy."   

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:38:41 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Fleck586

Buy Solaris, Quadralords, 12 Seconds, Assimilate, More Glider, and A Winner is you now. Power Coloring has always been more of a joke, I think, like a poke at Color A Dinosaur. I havent gotten it yet, but I will. All the others are worth more than $45, especially boxed.
I am strongly considering Quadralords.  I will wait until I get the AVS in the mail.  I have seen on reviews of the system that some people have received a game for free with the console.  I will wait and see what game I get (if I get a game).

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:40:30 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri

People work really hard making these games. It's not something that just anyone can do and there's not an enormous market for them, so its a labor of love for them. Saying that they aren't worth $45 is what wasn't very classy. You've joined a very tight knit community that sticks up for each other. I would suggest you browse the site and take advantage of all it has to offer including introducing you to an amazing homebrew scene. Welcome to NA!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:41:34 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I am strongly considering Quadralords.  I will wait until I get the AVS in the mail.  I have seen on reviews of the system that some people have received a game for free with the console.  I will wait and see what game I get (if I get a game).

That was the $650 LE AVS.

Regular AVS is the console only.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:43 PM by Tulpa

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:44:15 PM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >

People work really hard making these games. It's not something that just anyone can do and there's not an enormous market for them, so its a labor of love for them. Saying that they aren't worth $45 is what wasn't very classy. You've joined a very tight knit community that sticks up for each other. I would suggest you browse the site and take advantage of all it has to offer including introducing you to an amazing homebrew scene. Welcome to NA!

Thank you for welcoming me.

I just dropped $170 on a game system I won't see for months and spread the word on other message boards.  Clearly, I am supporting Retro USB's cause.  What is worth $45 to you may not be worth $45 to me.  I don't see a problem with having an opinion. 

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:46 PM by fonzob1

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:51:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
It's not just Retrousb. Often the Homebrewers are independent programmers. We're all in it together in our support.

You can have an opinion, but the people behind the games are probably seeing it. Would you tell that opinion the way you stated it to their face? Probably not.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:54 PM by Tulpa

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:53:29 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Double post.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 08:54 PM by Tulpa

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:25:12 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Thank you for welcoming me.

I just dropped $170 on a game system I won't see for months and spread the word on other message boards.  Clearly, I am supporting Retro USB's cause.  What is worth $45 to you may not be worth $45 to me.  I don't see a problem with having an opinion. 

Usually people that write reviews and make a public opinion have actually tried the game out themselves by either purchasing the item/game or by having the developer/s send it out to them to review to gain exposure.

The way you just claimed something is not worth your money is an opinion best kept to yourself when you decide to not purchase the item. Maybe if you tried the game you would like it. Some research helps avoid any confusion with purchases such as what came with the LE bundle compared to the standard unit. You could have reached out to their support by email if you had any questions or concerns.

I hope you enjoy your time here and you enjoy your AVS! Do not forget to participate with the online leaderboards.  

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:40:08 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
If you have a Vaus or two I would definitely recommend Quadralords. Or even if you have at least one friend that you game with in person on a regular basis; that game is still a blast with the regular controller.

What kinds of games do you normally go for? Might help with some recommendations on which of the others you may like.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:46:57 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

They are the same. The sprites and music are different, and there are minor code changes but otherwise they're all the same as the 8 Bit Xmas games.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:23:43 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Go to the discontinued page at retrousb: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php...

Check out the free demo roms available for 8bit Xmas 2011, 2013 and 2015 to play the Christmas versions of Quadralords, Solaris and 12 Seconds respectively. Boot em up on your favorite emulator, or better yet, your PowerPak and give em shot to see how you like them.

While you're there, be sure to order your copy of 8bit Xmas 2016 for some classic Christmas pinball action. Tomorrow's the last day to order before it's gone forever and there's no demo rom for that one.

You're welcome!  

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:00:00 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Solaris has many more levels and animations than 8 BIT XMAS 2013, and probably some bug fixes too. Get this one if you like Galaga type shooters. The first level is meant to look like Space Invaders but the game is more complex than that.

Twelve Seconds added another 50 levels onto 8 BIT XMAS 2015 for a total of 150. Mog also fixed up a few of the previous ones. Get this one if you like timed runs, but without the frustration because you can pick any level. This is the one I play most because there is replay-ability in trying to beat either your best time or fewest lives.

Quadralords is the only one that was not heavily expanded from 8 BIT XMAS 2011. I would only get this one if you regularly play with other people. 1 player will get boring quick, 4 player (with drinks) is hours of awesome.

More Glider is 6x bigger than the original Glider. If you didn't like the original, you won't like the new one   More about exploring with small sections of challenge.

A Winner Is You is the best music ever on a NES, and that is it. MetalJesusRocks just did a good review with Sergio. His videos are a must watch!

Power Coloring is honestly worth far more than $45   The crazy part is it probably has the most complex programming by far! It takes crazy math and caching and to do the paint fill quickly. I wanted to buy the IP to name it Color a Dinosaur 2 but it is all tied up with Interplay.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:02:12 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Welcome to the site!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:35:08 AM
fonzob1 (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

If you have a Vaus or two I would definitely recommend Quadralords. Or even if you have at least one friend that you game with in person on a regular basis; that game is still a blast with the regular controller.

What kinds of games do you normally go for? Might help with some recommendations on which of the others you may like.
Dragon Warrior is my all time favorite.  Otherwise, I dig the usual suspects (Super Mario Brothers, Punch-Out, Castlevannia, etc.).  I am sure they don't have anything as complex as Dragon Warrior, but I was just trying to get a feel for what other people thought about these games.  So far, feedback has been pretty good.   

Edited: 01/01/2017 at 09:31 PM by fonzob1

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:49:27 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I just played Assimilate for the first time and would highly recommend it. The game was released years ago on NA and at the time I was still new to Homebrews. Its great that this game is now available again, go buy it.

Playas Guide Logo