Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Speaking of high scores... What happened to Twin Galaxies?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:00:24 AM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: AirVillain

So, where are the past contests located? I'm always interested in seeing some high scores. Whether it's recorded or not, I don't really care. I hold alot more legitimacy in a recording done on an actual NES console, in it's entirety. I could easy take a picture of my high score after dominating a game with the game genie, or leeching all the way. A full recording shows exactly the game and allows for critique. I think even SDA requires a recording... that's what the sites based around.

Editors Note: How EASY is it to find gamers recording themselves on Youtube purely to show games or do a review?? If you are good at a game, just pick up a camera/VCR and let some people know. I for one find it prettty cool to see some incredible feats of gaming on youtube. Adventure Island front to back, speed runs of Battletoads.... much more.

Already made these same points, but people just don't want to understand the importance of it. I want to ask them "Hey what are your best records?" , and then when they tell me, I'll say "Oh well I beat all of those. Want a screenshot? No problem". Since they think a full documented video recording is too much to ask for official records protection, it just becomes the wild west of video game records claims just like back in the early '80s.

Remember Jeff Yee from back then? He got all sorts of TV time and even the president's attention, and on what? A complete fabrication of his Pac Man high score as it was later discovered. His 5+ million "score" ended up being impossible when the kill screen was later discovered, making the score cut-off at just over 3.3 million. Later when he was pitted against a kid that actually knew how to get to the kill screen, he stank and was immediately left in the dust.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:31:20 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Yeah, Firebrandx, most certainly... I was pretty much trying to back you up and reinforce what you were saying. I agree with everything you just said as well... Especially considering the technology available these days, providing a "screenshot" is nothing more than a Photoshop project....

I don't remember the Jeff Yee thing, but I understand its significance.

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:00:45 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Firebrandx

I seem to recall Walter Day had sold the rights to TG a couple years back. I used to work for TG some years ago, but hated it. My brother I and were constantly having to fight with what I call "the old guard" comprised of record holders from the early 80's. First, they resisted every one of our innovative new ideas like speed-gaming records for consoles, and then later we discovered a lot of the records from the '80s were bogus because video proof was not required back then. The worst was "Mr. Activision" (aka Todd Rogers), where I and several others were able to prepare a case and conclusively prove Todd had been completely fabricating world records for various Atari games. To name a few:

Barnstorming (2600): Todd's record, which stood for many years, was proven to be impossible once we broke down the game code and stripped the stage of any obstacles. With the stage completely blank, flying a straight line to the finish was slower than Todd's record. When we presented this evidence, we were attacked by fans and supporters of Todd, and eventually an excuse was cooked up that I lovingly refer to as "the coffee stain excuse". Yes, after being attacked and told we were clueless about how good Todd was, one of the referees covered for him and claimed the 'document' detailing his record had a coffee stain on the part where the record time was listed. Instead of throwing the record out and forcing Todd to do a legit one on video tape, they just simply adjusted the record to be MAYBE possible by adding a half-second to the time.

Sky Jinx (2600): Todd's record time for this game also proved to be bogus, and I showed how it was physically impossible when a modified version of the stage that required only 10 banks instead of 16 showed the plane always came in slower than Todd's record.

Donkey Kong (2600): Todd's record was entered as 15 million. I immediately suspected it was bogus, since the best results from professionals at the game were well under 1 million. I protested the record and Todd claimed there were full video tapes documenting the marathon session. One of the refs (the same one that came up with the coffee stain excuse) claimed indeed there was a set of tapes. I asked one of the lead referees to investigate and verify these supposed tapes of the records. After several months, the lead ref concluded the tapes never existed and removed Todd's record from the database.

Who knows how many records were fudged back before more strict requirements got put in place. After a while of constantly banging heads with the often corrupt "old guard", my brother and I both had enough and quit TG entirely. Eventually the one lead referee we could trust at the time also quit, and that was a major loss for the site.

This is why I don't like TG and have never submitted a score. Plus,I don't really care if I'm recognized as the record holder for a certain game or not. I know I'm good at a particular game or games,and that's all that matters to me. Anyway,even if I did want the recognition,what would I get for my efforts? My name on a website? Whoopdie do. That's a pretty crappy tradeoff for pulling an all nighter (or several) shotting red bulls,etc.trying to get your name on a website. For some games anyway....   I am encouraged to see that Richie Knuckles and Jon eXidy are part owners now. Those guys really do give a crap and I'm sure they will help change things for the better.

Edited: 12/31/2012 at 02:02 AM by gutsman004

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:16:22 PM
Firebrandx (7)
United States
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Anyway,even if I did want the recognition,what would I get for my efforts? My name on a website? Whoopdie do. That's a pretty crappy tradeoff for pulling an all nighter (or several) shotting red bulls,etc.trying to get your name on a website. For some games anyway....  

I'd normally agree with you there, but the only reason I was encouraged to help TG stay afloat was because the official world records keeper, Guinness, deferred to TG for video game records. This gave TG official rights to publish video game records on behalf of Guinness. A book was eventually published after I left, and I was told from people as far away as France they saw some of my achievements in the book on the stand.

So at the time, Twin Galaxies wasn't just some web site that tracked video game scores. It was in fact the official site for video game records as far as Guinness was concernered. That's why I fought so hard to make sure every entry was fairly verified. It's also why strict proof is required of fully documented record attempts.

Edited: 12/31/2012 at 03:16 PM by Firebrandx

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:15:21 PM
Greg2600 (0)
(Greg Mario) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
Seems they are hoping to have the database back by time of the Brooklyn Barcade tournament in March. Also happy to read that Richie has re-opened his arcade in Flemington, NJ.

PS: Do records still have to be on VHS? Can't use a digital camera?

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:36:42 AM
Firebrandx (7)
United States
Originally posted by: Greg2600

Seems they are hoping to have the database back by time of the Brooklyn Barcade tournament in March. Also happy to read that Richie has re-opened his arcade in Flemington, NJ.

I seem to recall they accepted DVD recordings, but you might want to verify that first before attempting anything.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:20:56 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I recall you can actually e-mail them a digital file (AVI, MPEG, MOV, etc) and they would accept that. If they're back up, check out their approved methods for submission. I believe the video file had a very small file limit (10 MB maybe?) so it would only be useful for speed runs of short games.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:36:58 AM
Chux (12)
(Chuck Forrester) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
Funny story, kinda related: I was at the opening of The Art of Video Games exhibit in DC last year. Had recently watched Chasing Ghosts with a buddy and was talking about Walter Day and Billy Mitchell. Went to the exhibit, met Hideo Kojima, etc etc, as we were leaving the front door somebody had opened it from the other side and it was Walter Day (complete with Ref shirt) and Billy Mitchell (With TM American Flag Tie). They were great dudes, posed for pics and we all went about our way.

Back to your regularly scheduled posts.

Current Wants

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:13:18 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Firebrandx

Originally posted by: Greg2600

I seem to recall they accepted DVD recordings, but you might want to verify that first before attempting anything.

They accepted DVD recordings under the previous regime (my last submission with them was on DVD, so I can vouch for this).  Videos from digital cameras worked as well, but you needed mail them a physical copy of the file (online submissions only worked for small files).

Not sure if that will change once things get rolling with the new staff, so best to ask them.  I can't imagine that they will force you to use VHS though.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:32:09 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Looks like the website was updated today. Not fully there, but there are some live feeds of q-Bert going to anyone interested.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/...

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...