Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew 8 BIT XMAS 2017 development multicart time!

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:36:16 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
What is the size of the screen? Going to order a screen protector while I wait for it.

-------------------------

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:48:08 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: romevi

What is the size of the screen? Going to order a screen protector while I wait for it.

You could always buy a cheap gorilla glass phone protector and cut it down to size. Not sure how you'd cut tempered glass or mount it on the cart face though. Maybe remove the plastic/rubber grommet and glue it to the cart lid...  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 01/04/2018 at 08:50 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:21:08 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

You could always buy a cheap gorilla glass phone protector and cut it down to size. Not sure how you'd cut tempered glass or mount it on the cart face though. Maybe remove the plastic/rubber grommet and glue it to the cart lid...  

A plastic one is fine. I'll just order some cheap $0.99 off eBay or AliExpress. Doesn't really matter to me, but having the screen bare like that makes me cringe.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:57:04 AM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I haven't got around to playing all the games yet but that fireplace one is fun with more than one player, does anyone know if you could play 4 players?

Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:42:24 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: dragonwarrior83

I haven't got around to playing all the games yet but that fireplace one is fun with more than one player, does anyone know if you could play 4 players?
Yes it is 4 players.  http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

Also

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 01/05/2018 at 12:44 PM by NESHomebrew

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:36:23 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

A plastic one is fine. I'll just order some cheap $0.99 off eBay or AliExpress. Doesn't really matter to me, but having the screen bare like that makes me cringe.

you still ned n extremely thin screen or a way to glue/mount an additional overlay on the cart. te new screen is flust with the cat edge

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:01:16 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I'm shocked this is still in stock.

- Socrates

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:27:35 PM
Mases (0)
(Mases Hagopian) < Cherub >
Illinois

Be weary of using alcohol to clean the screen. I cleaned some fingerprints off mine with 91% isopropyl, and there was a visible smudge underneath the screen which affected the contrast making it appear lighter or darker. I was scared this effect would be permanent, but appears to have disappeared in the last couple hours, possibly capilary action pulled the liquid underneath and it has since started drying?

I also discovered a bug in Xmas 2014 where tapping Select to trigger the ROB strobe screen resets the game back to the select menu. At least it does this on AVS. Have not played yet on my NES. Toasters and blinky lights don't go together LOL! Not that ROB would work off an AVS / flat panel, but annoying I can't access this mode during play.

Also I hastily created a makeshift end label today at work using the company label maker, and trimmed it when I got home. I would really love a more permanent and professional solution though if anyone decides to create one. Perhaps one front label for top loaders and a different one for AVS console based on how the screen is oriented.

Just got mine in... and was disappointed by the lack of an end label! Nice job with this one. 

I think I might grab this idea. Do you have the small image file. What kind of label maker do you have. Never did anything like this, but looks awkward on the shelf next to its brethren. 

Edited: 08/02/2018 at 01:28 PM by Mases

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:54:26 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Mases

Be weary of using alcohol to clean the screen. I cleaned some fingerprints off mine with 91% isopropyl, and there was a visible smudge underneath the screen which affected the contrast making it appear lighter or darker. I was scared this effect would be permanent, but appears to have disappeared in the last couple hours, possibly capilary action pulled the liquid underneath and it has since started drying?

I also discovered a bug in Xmas 2014 where tapping Select to trigger the ROB strobe screen resets the game back to the select menu. At least it does this on AVS. Have not played yet on my NES. Toasters and blinky lights don't go together LOL! Not that ROB would work off an AVS / flat panel, but annoying I can't access this mode during play.

Also I hastily created a makeshift end label today at work using the company label maker, and trimmed it when I got home. I would really love a more permanent and professional solution though if anyone decides to create one. Perhaps one front label for top loaders and a different one for AVS console based on how the screen is oriented.

Just got mine in... and was disappointed by the lack of an end label! Nice job with this one. 

I think I might grab this idea. Do you have the small image file. What kind of label maker do you have. Never did anything like this, but looks awkward on the shelf next to its brethren. 

There is no image file.

I used a portable label maker at my job site to print the end label. It is a Brother brand (I don't know the model offhand), runs off aa batteries, and takes up to 24mm thermal ribbon cartridges. Basically you key text into the device then select font, style, and size. It also contains a variety of generic symbols. I put a "black text on red" cartridge into the label maker to print the custom decal. 12pt font, four lines (the upper three lines were intentionally left blank to offset the text). I trimmed the adhesive label with sissors when I got home.

FYI, the label maker is meant to be used strictly for business, so while I might get away with making an occasional one-off label for personal use, I can't just exploit company resources by printing off a bunch of custom end labels en masse. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Here's the exact model I used at work. There are also some (much cheaper) current models available:
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Co...

Edited: 08/03/2018 at 01:32 AM by Kosmic StarDust