Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Programming Organized - Nerdy Nights

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45:48 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I personally use Tile Layer Pro, but some others use Tile Molester or YY CHR.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/g...

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:47:33 AM
The Adventurer (0)
(James Purcell) < Cherub >
Connecticut
Hmm. Tile Molester seems to open .NES files. But it just gives me gibberish for sprite data. It doesn't open .chr files.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:18:45 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Just use YY-Chr, it's definitely the best editor for pretty much all systems.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:38:46 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Hey im not sure if somone has mentioned this in the past. But I would like to see a dvd video series on this. I learn mostly by watching. I can read all this and it still confuses me a lot. Playstaion had somthing like this in there underground series when the released a system called Net Yaroze. There was even a contest with it. Anyways just wanted topost my idea. Hope you all have a great night Megamanfan

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:14:29 PM
tuomasth (0)

(Tuomas Hyvönen) < Cherub >
Finland
Someone probably has explained this before... But because I still have had little troubles with implementing simple walls, please allow me to ask this here.

So how should walls be made with 6502 Assembly? (I have studied the language itself very well and the commands are clear enough.) You know, the idea is to stop a sprite when the player tries to move it over a line. The areas where the player is not allowed to move are defined in a ".bin" file with 00s and 01s. I know at least that ".INCBIN" is the right command that must be used but things are still a bit unclear. How do you make a connection between the level data and background graphics? What are the right memory addresses that should be used?

I'm sure there are experts who have made walls many times and this is an easy job to them. It would be nice to see some program code that does the following:
- A binary file is read and the data is connected with a wall's graphics showed on the screen.
- If you press a directional button, a sprite moves. (This part is pretty easy, even I have got this working.)
- When the sprite touches the line, it stops even if the directional button is still down.

Sorry if you think that making this is a waste of time. But thanks in advance if someone explains how this works. If someone has already made this kind of program somewhere, it would be the best of course. In that case please copypaste the link as an answer.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:08:50 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
See the tutorials here, not really having to do with the NN tutorials:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

They will help to answer some of your questions.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:48:49 PM
SegF4ult (0)
(Xander ) < Little Mac >
Netherlands
Hey guys, I'm new here and I hope to have a blast. I've taken the liberty to start to compile bunnyboy's Nerdy Nights post into a PDF for single download. I've edited some things and added as well, just to hope it would be a nice contribution to the community.

you can find my starting attempt at http://media.bitbruisers.com/docs...
If you have feedback, just let me know via PM or reply.

Greetings, SegF4ult

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:36:08 PM
Beep Boop! (1)
(Bzzt Bzzzt) < Crack Trooper >
Korea, Dem. People's Rep of
Originally posted by: SegF4ult

Hey guys, I'm new here and I hope to have a blast. I've taken the liberty to start to compile bunnyboy's Nerdy Nights post into a PDF for single download. I've edited some things and added as well, just to hope it would be a nice contribution to the community.

you can find my starting attempt at http://media.bitbruisers.com/docs/nerdy_nights.pdf
If you have feedback, just let me know via PM or reply.

Greetings, SegF4ult

The worst part was the one that said "Next Week: (...)". It's simply awesome, keep up the good work! Just a suggestion, finish all chapters and compile them in a single file instead of releasing separated chapters.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:20:59 PM
SegF4ult (0)
(Xander ) < Little Mac >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Punch Ball Mario Bros.
The worst part was the one that said "Next Week: (...)". It's simply awesome, keep up the good work! Just a suggestion, finish all chapters and compile them in a single file instead of releasing separated chapters.
That's the idea, except it takes quite a bit of time to write the LaTeX for it. As a small teaser I uploaded this to get comments from the community. I will be adding the rest of the chapters soon. (First I have to finish my own gameconsole)

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:09:57 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
AAAAAAAAAA+++++++ i am currently working on ASM 6502 and C and plan to make an NES game with my wife who was a professional C++ programmer for 4 years and also has ASM skills although slightly out of tune; as for me: I learned C++ and BASIC from in grade school, high school, and college, but it's been a while plus ASM is new to me meaning I have a lot to learn. I am very committed to this project and I am making progress but I need to take one step back in order to move 2 steps forward before things start to come together. So one day, XYZ will be reporting back happy to announce a game, HOPEFULLY a very good game!!!!!!

This thread in my opinion is one of the best things on Nintendoage. So thanks to Bunnyboy and the others who have helped put time into making all these tutorials.

Edited: 03/17/2013 at 07:11 PM by XYZ

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:40:05 AM
SegF4ult (0)
(Xander ) < Little Mac >
Netherlands
A small update on the bundling of the Nerdy Nights programming tutorials. I've been really busy in real life lately and I haven't had much time to go towards LaTeX compilation of all the documentation I've come across. It's not forgotten though, I'll try and see if I can make some progress this weekend.

Greetings, SegF4ult

May 14, 2013 at 12:18:25 AM
funraiser (0)

< Cherub >
Hope someone can clarify how to make the NESASM3 to generate zero page indexing code :

The problem is :

ZP20 = $20

LDA ZP20,X

==== Now using NESASM, the above LDA instruction will generate this code

00:C000 BD 20 00

============

However, can I make the NESASM3 to generate the binary code as ZeroPage,X ?

00:C000 B5 20

This will shorten the program rom size, but I cannot find any directive to make this happen.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

May 14, 2013 at 2:25:11 AM
thefox (0)
(Kalle Immonen) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
LDA <ZP20, X

BTW it's not a good idea to cross-post the same question to several threads.

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:32:16 AM
Gamewizard (0)

< Cherub >
Just started reading the tutorials, all I have to say is a whole hell of a lot easier than x86 asm

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:56:34 AM
typicalanimal (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Ireland
Originally posted by: Gamewizard

Just started reading the tutorials, all I have to say is a whole hell of a lot easier than x86 asm

Well if you just started then how can you say that? I've done x86 asm and well what we did for it in our course was easy. 

I think people should give more credit to the tutorials for making it so fun and relatively easy-ish. This is not a semantic language made for humans, but ASM, and the tutorials somehow make it fun and interesting.  

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 11:59 AM by typicalanimal

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:33:41 PM
DoNotWant (1)

(Ham Sammich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
Originally posted by: typicalanimal

Well if you just started then how can you say that? I've done x86 asm and well what we did for it in our course was easy. 

I think people should give more credit to the tutorials for making it so fun and relatively easy-ish. This is not a semantic language made for humans, but ASM, and the tutorials somehow make it fun and interesting. 

I agree with Gamewizard.

Yes, people should give more credit to the tutorial authors, but not because they make it easy to learn 6502 assembly,
because they don't. They do however make it very easy to understand the NES.

Not made for humans? That is exactly what it is, so we don't have to type it in as 0s and 1s.
E.g. LDA - LoaD Accumulator; very easy to understand.

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:56:29 PM
typicalanimal (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Ireland
Originally posted by: DoNotWant

I agree with Gamewizard.

Yes, people should give more credit to the tutorial authors, but not because they make it easy to learn 6502 assembly,

Not made for humans? That is exactly what it is, so we don't have to type it in as 0s and 1s.

No it is not. 

Assembly language is not a language made for humans. What you're talking about is just using symbols in place of instructions. A language like C is designed for humans while assembly is not. Now that's one of the most basic and undeniable claims you can make about programming. 

As an analogy with speaking languages: replacing all the words in one language with different (easier) ones does not count as creating a new specially designed semantic language.  

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 02:03 PM by typicalanimal

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:54:20 PM
DoNotWant (1)

Sweden

Originally posted by: DoNotWant

I agree with Gamewizard.

No it is not. 

Assembly language is not a language made for humans. What you're talking about is just using symbols in place of instructions. A language like C is designed for humans while assembly is not. Now that's one of the most basic and undeniable claims you can make about programming. 

As an analogy with speaking languages: replacing all the words in one language with different (easier) ones does not count as creating a new specially designed semantic language.  

Apparently it was easier for both me and Gamewizard here, so that's and argument you won't win.

Oh sorry, let me change that for you dear sir; "Assembly is syntax, created as a way for humans to write programs in a quicker and more efficient way than you could with binary code". -.-

Seriously, who is assembly made for then? Why didn't we go on with binary code, until we came up with high level languages?

I never claimed what your analogy there sais, but when I think about it, isn't that a false analogy?

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 02:55 PM by DoNotWant

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:57:06 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Technically it's not.

But honestly, assembly when it's not ass-backwards (Z80, anything Intel), it's VERY easy to humans. I mean, I can see program 10x easier in assembly than I can C. It may not be programming in binary code, but who does that? One guy on NESDev, who obviously has never shown a single demo even, haha. But the assembly we program in is a overlay to the binary code. Think of it as how you speak it, not what you're speaking, and speaking assembly isn't hard at all for 6502+680X series of processors.

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 02:59 PM by removed04092017

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:00:56 PM
DoNotWant (1)

Sweden
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Technically it's not.

How do you mean? And yes, both x86 and Z80 is very annoying.

Edit:
Assembly is NOT an overlay. What about assembler directives, macros, labels(!!!), e.t.c.?
I know that is part of the assembler, but what is assembly without an assembler?

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 03:03 PM by DoNotWant

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:22:18 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
This needs to be re-stickied, please.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:31:29 AM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Bump. Pretty-please? Do no mods come in the Brewery?

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:16:58 PM
Laserbeak43 (0)
(Malik Martin) < Cherub >
Maryland
Originally posted by: VileRedFalcon

Originally posted by: aaronrls01

I`m only 14 though.......BUT MY COCO 1 HAS 64K LOL.

I would have guessed 13.

Most shocking thing about this thread is the fact that a whole bunch of "adults" are picking on a kid for wanting to learn.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:56:24 PM
Ganrao (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Laserbeak43

Originally posted by: VileRedFalcon

Originally posted by: aaronrls01

I`m only 14 though.......BUT MY COCO 1 HAS 64K LOL.

I would have guessed 13.

Most shocking thing about this thread is the fact that a whole bunch of "adults" are picking on a kid for wanting to learn.

I was going to register just to say that, so now I registered just to say thank you for showing me other decent people exist on the internet.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:45:55 PM
Laserbeak43 (0)
(Malik Martin) < Cherub >
Maryland
Glad to be of service, Ganrao.