Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed Can NA Beat Every SNES Game In A Year - 2016 Games Beaten: 417/715 - Last Beaten: Equinox

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:16:30 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Well I'm off to a damn good start on Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2. As previously reported, I had incorporated Gongsun Zan's forces into my own, and eliminated Yuan Shao. Han Fu fell shortly after resuming the game today, but further expansion required my biggest test yet - I had to go through the combined forces of Cao Cao and Dong Zhuo, who were strong in numbers, if not ability. However, I lucked out in one of the two battles against Cao Cao's forces and managed to slay him in battle, meaning the strongest ruler still currently in the game has fallen by my hand and will no longer pose a problem! I also managed to capture his general (and real life cousin) Xiahou Dun, one of the better early-game generals. While this was going on, Sun Jian attacked Dong Zhuo's forces in province 19, meaning I had the opportunity to wipe out yet another potential problem. Another plus to this was that he was situated in Province 10, which is coded to ALWAYS drop war spoils. After decimating his forces there and giving the spoils (a gem which boosts a general's Charm stat along with maxing out their loyalty) to the previously captured Xiahou Dun, I figured I'd be stupid not to take his final province out while he was weakened from my attacks. My general, Zhou Tai, managed to defeat his top general Hua Xiong in a duel, so I didn't have to face the only threat he had left on the battlefield (and I get to keep his 100 soldiers as well - saves me from having to recruit more to cover my losses). I'm also now perfectly positioned for the slow march through the southeast and then westward. When done correctly, it's actually possible to minimize the extent of your front line, only needing to garrison along 5 provinces at a time. I should have it done within a couple days, unless a fatal glitch happens to me again. I really do hope to avoid that, I want this off my "to beat" list, seeing as the NES version is one of my top favorites, yet I haven't beat the SNES one yet

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:07:03 AM
Steve (12)
(Steve RVG) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

What are the difficulty options for 7th Saga?
"Easier version" is a retooled repro of North American 7th Saga, so I doubt that counts. IIRC it is the Japanese version (which apparently was a lot easier due to stats being more user friendly) with the English translation.

BTW I saw you beat Super Widget. How did you like that one? Been meaning to play that one forever now. Hopefully this year!

RVGFANATIC | SNES reviews and remembrances

RELIVE | REPLAY | REMEMBER

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:15:40 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Holy hell, I'm getting extremely lucky here! Winning duels I shouldn't be able to win so I can not only win easier but get an awesome general to add to my juggernaut war machine, but the CPU is doing me favours as well! Liu Biao attacked Ma Teng and not only won the battle, but managed to capture his son, Ma Chao. That allowed me to swoop in to snag not only one of the best generals in the game according to War ranking, but one that is highly compatible with my ruler (Liu Bei), meaning his loyalty won't drop! I now have a third of China under my rule, and with Cao Cao's line wiped out (I have since destroyed his son, Cao Ang...although I did add his cousins Cao Ren and Xiahou Yuan to my ranks because, well, why not) I have no serious opposition to me. Sun Jian may pose a bit of a threat, but his generals are no match for mine. Liu Biao looks like a threat because he has a TON of generals and a nice chunk of land, but he's pretty worthless overall. Also, I did manage to threaten another minor ruler into my camp (he was actually serving under Dong Zhuo at one point, before I convinced him to revolt...ain't I a dickens ), but I fully expect one of the four surrounding rulers to destroy that territory at some point before I get supplies to them. Unfortunately, though I got two generals, I got no money and no soldiers to do anything with that territory. If I get lucky though, I'll make it another couple turns and be able to at least arm them so they can mount a defense. Neither of them are really worth keeping though, I just did it because I had nothing better to do that turn

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:31:07 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Steve

What are the difficulty options for 7th Saga?
"Easier version" is a retooled repro of North American 7th Saga, so I doubt that counts. IIRC it is the Japanese version (which apparently was a lot easier due to stats being more user friendly) with the English translation.

BTW I saw you beat Super Widget. How did you like that one? Been meaning to play that one forever now. Hopefully this year!

Its fun, but quite easy aside from one boss.  Definitely plays like an NES game too

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:07:44 AM
Laseki (75)
(mooga moon) < El Ripper >
Ohio
That time of the year again, i'll knock a bunch off later tonight.

All I do is speedrun Megaman X games honestly.
http://www.twitch.tv/laseki...
https://twitter.com/LasekiSP...
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lase...

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:20:55 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Andre Agassi Tennis is done:

This time around I used a female player, which requires fewer sets to win (8 vs. 12). I'd forgotten that the men's matches were 5 sets, so I played most of an opening match with Agassi but bailed when I realized I had another set to win.

I used a down-the-line return heavily last year to win points quickly on my opponent's serve, but this time I couldn't get it to work reliably for some reason, so it was more of a grind.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:58:09 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Well, I'm getting there with Romance 2. Have about half the map, give or take, and aside from Sun Jian, I don't really have any major competition left. I just need to avoid spreading myself too thin at this point. Also, my turns are taking an insane amount of time to finish. The game-breaking glitch I encountered last time I played it occurred when I delegated some provinces to the computer, so I'm not doing that this time. As a result, it takes a LONG time to go through every last province to end a turn. That extra time may end up making it take me a bit longer than expected to finish, but it's not going to take too long regardless. I'm actually moving at record time this time around, as I JUST got one of my generals' sons to appear (usually that starts happening long before I get anywhere near where I'm at...it's only been 4 in-game years!).

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:23:13 PM
WATA GRADED WEBSITE (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Fatal fury 2, street fighter 2 turbo and toy story complete. I actually really enjoyed fatal fury 2. Much better than the first one. I've had it for 4yrs and never played it

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Edited: 01/06/2016 at 09:06 PM by WATA GRADED WEBSITE

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:11:35 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time is toast.  You guys should have seen this one coming XD

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:15:56 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Damn wiz, I think you've inspired me to tackle a Koei game this year. I have most of them. No manuals though, except Inindo

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22:05 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York

Damn wiz, I think you've inspired me to tackle a Koei game this year. I have most of them. No manuals though, except Inindo
Oof, without manuals it's tough. Gemfire is pretty straightforward, though, and Genghis Khan II is addictive. If you can figure out Operation Europe, let me know how it works.

I own a CIB Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness that I might tackle later this year. Not anytime soon.

Edited: 01/06/2016 at 11:36 PM by bronzeshield

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:37:11 PM
WATA GRADED WEBSITE (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia

I've got a bunch of them as well,  I'm a bit intimidated by them though, I haven't really played many games that style

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Edited: 01/06/2016 at 11:37 PM by WATA GRADED WEBSITE

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:00:17 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
In October of 193 I managed to unify China. That's record time for me...and it was the first time I played without finding Zhuge "Never Gives Incorrect Advice" Liang. Anyway, Romance II is done, so gimme my 10 points

Maybe I'll do it for the NES thread soon...just as soon as I get around to changing the battery

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:01:54 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Super Adventure Island II

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:02:25 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

In October of 193 I managed to unify China. That's record time for me...and it was the first time I played without finding Zhuge "Never Gives Incorrect Advice" Liang. Anyway, Romance II is done, so gimme my 10 points

Maybe I'll do it for the NES thread soon...just as soon as I get around to changing the battery
Awesome, 10 points well earned

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:10:03 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Awesome, 10 points well earned

It's kind of funny because I can do that game so easily...I always worry when I am working my way around, and I always estimate that it'll take longer than it does.  I thought I wouldn't finish before Friday, but once the juggernaut starts rolling, that's it   It's a solid 6-point game in my mind, it's probably one of the easiest Koei titles out there.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:12:10 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Well at the very least it's ensured to be 7 points next year. If we beat enough 6 may happen. Another reason I need to knock out some of those damn sports titles sooner rather than later.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:17:23 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Some of the sports games do take some serious effort though. Not all of them have a handy-dandy "sim season" option Anything that just requires winning one game shouldn't be worth much, but there are some that should legitimately be worth some heavy duty points.

Ugh, I hate this "just beat a game, what's next" mode I'm in. I wanna play something, I just don't know what...and I'm not sure I want to start something new at midnight Maybe I'll just play some Xbox tonight and see if something grabs me in the morning.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:20:32 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I'm thinking of finally tackling Dracula X or Hagane, two that have teased me for a long, long time.  But I've been drinking so I probably wouldn't even beat the first level tonight

Edited: 01/07/2016 at 02:21 AM by Brock Landers

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:35:17 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ok, everything is now updated. ALTQQ now has the 3rd most clears in a year, all-time, already.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Wow, I've had the same output this year as 2013 and 2014 combined! And it's only been a week!

Edited: 01/07/2016 at 01:26 PM by the_wizard_666

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:19:25 PM
Laseki (75)
(mooga moon) < El Ripper >
Ohio
MMX3 down, i want to be a lot more active for this year with this, I'll be getting plenty of others

All I do is speedrun Megaman X games honestly.
http://www.twitch.tv/laseki...
https://twitter.com/LasekiSP...
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lase...

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:22:57 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Laseki

MMX3 down, i want to be a lot more active for this year with this, I'll be getting plenty of others
Nice, moves you up to 19th

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:29:15 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York

That masterpiece of 16-bit gaming, Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool, is done. I did a no-death/1CC run, despite not having played it in a year or two.

Edited: 01/07/2016 at 06:30 PM by bronzeshield

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:47:53 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Hah, I think I died 3-4 times last year on it

I've been buying up dumb games like Al Unser and Super High Impact so I can get them knocked out and their point values lowered. If anyone has them and wants easy points you have from now until when I receive them