Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNK Bermuda Triangle for NES

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:14:28 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Any information of this title. All I could find was the cover image included in with other NES game stickers. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1988-Imperial-Toy-SNK-Nintendo-...

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:28:44 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I hadn't heard of this one being ported to the Nes from the arcade. Maybe it didn't get very far. I assume maybe it was just an idea but nothing ever happened with it? Don't you have that art? I guess more of a arcade piece but it's neat to know that maybe it would have been the cover had it came out? I guess a good chance it would have been changed also since other SNK art was different than the arcades? Also, since it's a triangle, which is different from other SNK Nes covers, I personally think it would have been redone had it released for the Nes. I could see the arcade art having been used for promotion though.

Edited: 07/08/2018 at 09:57 PM by mydogsrule

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:57:53 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

I hadn't heard of this one being ported to the Nes. Maybe it didn't get very far. I assume just an idea but nothing ever happened with it? Don't you have that art. I guess more of a arcade piece but it's neat to know that maybe it would have been the cover had it came out? I guess a good chance it would have been changed also since other SNK art was different than the arcades?
Interesting that the triangle design was used on some Kemco games. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle etc.  Shadgate even matches the same tilt. 

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:00:01 PM
mydogsrule (165)

Tennessee
Originally posted by: Buyatari

I hadn't heard of this one being ported to the Nes. Maybe it didn't get very far. I assume just an idea but nothing ever happened with it? Don't you have that art. I guess more of a arcade piece but it's neat to know that maybe it would have been the cover had it came out? I guess a good chance it would have been changed also since other SNK art was different than the arcades?
Interesting that the triangle design was used on some Kemco games. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle etc.  Shadgate even matches the same tilt. 

I actually just edited my orI final post concerning the triangle image. I would assume maybe the arcade art used for that sticker would have been used for promotion and another new painting would have been done strictly for the Nes since SNK didn't use triangles like Kemco.

Edited: 07/08/2018 at 10:01 PM by mydogsrule

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:53:27 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

Originally posted by: Buyatari

I actually just edited my orI final post concerning the triangle image. I would assume maybe the arcade art used for that sticker would have been used for promotion and another new painting would have been done strictly for the Nes since SNK didn't use triangles like Kemco.

It doesn’t mean SNK couldn’t use a triangle in cover design. SNK was ok using a triangle design on the arcade machine when none of their other arcade games used triangle designs. If anything I wonder if Kemco was inspired by the Bermuda Triangle design. 

Natural design element for this title as the game is called Bermuda Triangle. The art was done already and here they are using it for a Nintendo promotion.

Other NES games have reused art. Spy hunter uses the pinball artwork. If it works it works. 

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:27:12 PM
mydogsrule (165)

Tennessee
I agree they may have kept the triangle. I just assume they maybe would have changed the art since it seemed they always used different artwork for their other arcade to Nintendo ports It's neat regardless though. Maybe Frank knows more about this game and will chime in sometime.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:27:53 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California

I agree they may have kept the triangle. I just assume they maybe would have changed the art since it seemed they always used different artwork for their other arcade to Nintendo ports It's neat regardless though. Maybe Frank knows more about this game and will chime in sometime.

I've spent the last 18 years studying unreleased NES games and I'm the project lead on the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection for Switch so this is pretty much the perfect question for me!

That triangle art and logo is lifted directly from the U.S. version of the arcade flyer, and I have no reason to believe that SNK at any point planned an NES version of this game. I'm 99% sure that SNK U.S. was just delivering whatever art they felt like for the stickers, regardless of whether it was for NES or not. I know it's tempting to point out that all of the other stickers are for NES games, but I'll counter that by pointing to Touch Down Fever. Yes, Touch Down Fever was released for the NES...in 1991, whereas the rest of these games are SNK and Tradewest titles from around 1988. The Touchdown Fever sticker is literally the arcade flyer, with the arcade screenshots. The arcade version was released in 1987.

-------------------------

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:07:06 AM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

I've spent the last 18 years studying unreleased NES games and I'm the project lead on the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection for Switch so this is pretty much the perfect question for me!

That triangle art and logo is lifted directly from the U.S. version of the arcade flyer, and I have no reason to believe that SNK at any point planned an NES version of this game. I'm 99% sure that SNK U.S. was just delivering whatever art they felt like for the stickers, regardless of whether it was for NES or not. I know it's tempting to point out that all of the other stickers are for NES games, but I'll counter that by pointing to Touch Down Fever. Yes, Touch Down Fever was released for the NES...in 1991, whereas the rest of these games are SNK and Tradewest titles from around 1988. The Touchdown Fever sticker is literally the arcade flyer, with the arcade screenshots. The arcade version was released in 1987.

Nintendo allowed only so many titles per year. Is it possible that all of these games were planned and Touchdown was just pushed pack for any number of reasons. 

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:21:59 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

I know it's tempting to point out that all of the other stickers are for NES games, but I'll counter that by pointing to Touch Down Fever. Yes, Touch Down Fever was released for the NES...in 1991, whereas the rest of these games are SNK and Tradewest titles from around 1988. The Touchdown Fever sticker is literally the arcade flyer, with the arcade screenshots. The arcade version was released in 1987.

Touchdown Fever was released on the Famicom in 1988, though.

Also, I notice that Bermuda Triangle is loosely related to Alpha Mission. So maybe (wild guess), they planned to release it, but Alpha Mission bombed and they didn't.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 07/22/2018 at 08:42 AM by scaryice

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:34:25 AM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
It is always POSSIBLE, yes, but we know all of the titles that SNK announced in this era, and neither one of those was ever on the lists (there is one unreleased NES announcement from this era though, a home version of Psycho Soldier). I find it extremely unlikely that they would have put two unannounced titles in sticker packs but never solicited them for sale nor mentioned them in any promotional material. In this instance for me the simpler solution wins, they provided art for all of the titles they were promoting at the time, regardless of console.