Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Nintendo Powerfest 1994 What's the story on this cart?

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:26:23 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
So is there a ROM or Reproduction cart for this Competition Cart??!

Thanks, Zwario

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:10:08 PM
Informationator (14)
(Information Ator) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee
If I recall correctly byuu has tried to work with both of the owners to obtain the cart for dumping but was not able to reach an agreement. I'm not surprised they don't want it dumped, but I wish they would if only to preserve it.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:15:50 PM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Informationator

If I recall correctly byuu has tried to work with both of the owners to obtain the cart for dumping but was not able to reach an agreement. I'm not surprised they don't want it dumped, but I wish they would if only to preserve it.

Thats not what I've read, check this thread out.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Last paragraph:
"I would like to dump the ROM for the scoring screen since this is the only known copy with the 10,000 points per home run.  I would hate for this to be lost to gaming if something were to happen.  Does anyone have an EPROM reader I could borrow to make this happen?"

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:18:37 PM
goldendark007 (76)
(Grodacious ) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I just read that yesterday as well. I am excited!!! Isn't he doing it with retrousb once the stock on Campus Challenge 92s are widdled away?

-------------------------

Originally posted by: Guntz

I must say though, it's almost movie-like that a repro collector gives his green horns a try at soldering a repro cartridge.
http://teamchris.org

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:49:40 PM
Tricky (0)

(John Smith) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Bunnyboy said he never got started on Powerfest, since sales of NCC '92 were so slow, he didn't think the effort would be justified. I PMed JJ almost two weeks ago, he said he was speaking with someone else about getting a repro made, no idea if that went anywhere. Snesmaster also said he'd upload the ROMs for Campus '92 and Powerfest if bunnyboy released Campus '91.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:57:22 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Rick Burns (SNESmaster) said he would release the ROM of this and Campus Challenge if Bunnyboy would release the unedited NES NCC 92 ROM (so all four - since NWC 90 has been dumped forever - would be available at the same time for the public).

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:04:13 AM
Zwario (30)
California
Hmmm, interesting... I have a Retrode version 2, Should I try and send it to byuu so that he can Dump his Rom? Would it even work?

Or should we reach out to SNESmaster and Bunnyboy to see if we can get them to release the ROMs to the wild??

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:47:33 AM
Tricky (0)

United States
Haha, good luck getting bunnyboy to respond in a timely manner Someone on NESDev tried dumping one of bunnyboy's Campus Challenge '92 reproductions with a Retrode, it didn't work.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopi...

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:59:24 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Hmmm, interesting...

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:33:51 PM
jjgames (47)
(JJ Hendricks) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
I am one of the owners of PowerFest 94 (the low scoring home run version that was played in qualifications). After I bought this I posted an article on our blog with some info about our plans for the game:
http://blog.pricecharting.com/201...

Basically, we want to get a reproduction made and freely provide the ROM to everyone who wants it.

The ROM files have all been dumped. But thank you for being willing to offer a Retrode. Quick aside, the Retrode cannot dump PowerFest because there are 4 different ROM chips. The Retrode just shows 'generic.scf' instead of the actual scf files on each ROM. They had to be dumped individually.

For the last 8 months I have been working with or in discussions with 5 different reproduction people. At this point nobody has been able to get a reproduction working. I am sure that bunnyboy could do it since he has done NWC, NCC 91, and NCC 91 but he has not returned emails or private messages. I've even offered to pay him a fee to cover his expenses and then I will take all the risk on selling the reproductions.

I want to release the reproduction before releasing the ROM files so I don't lose a ton of money on unsold reproductions, but at this point it looks like the reproduction might not be feasible. In that case, I would release the ROM as soon as I am confident it will not be reproduced.

Owner of JJGames.com and PriceCharting.com

See my games for sale on PriceCharting

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36:53 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
West Virginia
Awesome JJ, if I had lottery type money, I would definitely help out with this for the good of the community (and to see it get a release). Can't wait to play it in one form or another.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:59:29 PM
jjgames (47)
Colorado
Originally posted by: g_block

Awesome JJ, if I had lottery type money, I would definitely help out with this for the good of the community (and to see it get a release). Can't wait to play it in one form or another.
I had one person tell me they could get the cart designed for $3,000.  That is a bit more than I am willing to spend unfortunately.

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter for it????

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:03:08 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
West Virginia
Originally posted by: jjgames

Originally posted by: g_block

I had one person tell me they could get the cart designed for $3,000.  That is a bit more than I am willing to spend unfortunately.

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter for it????

Hmmm, that's a possibility, the only issue is, if they get the $3,000, design it and it fails, then what? Are the Kickstarters out of luck? I'm down if the price is around or under what the SNES NCC costs on retrousb.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:06:24 PM
Tricky (0)

United States
Kickstarter worked for Active Enterprises Getting some kind of preorder investment type thing going could work. Even if not something out-right like a kickstarter, maybe just a thread gauging what kind of interest there is, how many people might buy one? Then you could see if it'd be financially feasible. I'd be interested in one, provided it doesn't cost TOO much.

Edited: 02/22/2013 at 01:07 PM by Tricky

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:19:33 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Tricky

Kickstarter worked for Active Enterprises Getting some kind of preorder investment type thing going could work. Even if not something out-right like a kickstarter, maybe just a thread gauging what kind of interest there is, how many people might buy one? Then you could see if it'd be financially feasible. I'd be interested in one, provided it doesn't cost TOO much.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

If it's (the price of the cart) in line with the SNES NCC from Bunnyboy (as far as price and quality) I don't think he'd have an issue at all drumming up enough interest

Would love to see it in a similar semi-transparant shell in the redish/orange color of the t-shirt/logo
http://pelord.sonicretro.org/play...

Edited: 02/22/2013 at 01:22 PM by Diamante Loco

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:21:13 PM
jjgames (47)
Colorado
I just contacted some electronics design contractors to see about costs and feasibility of making the reproduction electronics.  Once I hear from them I should have a better idea of how much it might cost and how much we would need to raise.

Then I can assess which option would be best.  If it will cost $10K to get a design made then I would definitely want something like Kickstarter to ensure there is demand.  But if it will only cost $1K then I could foot that myself as an investment and hope I can sell enough to make that money back.

I am aiming for a NWC reproduction price closer to $50 if possible. It will probably just be a cartridge with no box or manual or other high production value stuff. In order to make it easier and less expensive.

Edited: 02/22/2013 at 01:26 PM by jjgames

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:23:52 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
West Virginia
Originally posted by: jjgames

I just contacted some electronics design contractors to see about costs and feasibility of making the reproduction electronics.
Once I hear from them I should have a better idea of how much it might cost and how much we would need to raise.

I am aiming for a NWC reproduction price closer to $50 if possible. It will probably just be a cartridge with no box or manual or other high production value stuff. In order to make it easier and less expensive.
that would be great! and if someone wanted to do a box, I'm sure they could go to one of the resident box makers on the forums here (like UncleTusk, etc)

and as far as instructions go, I'm sure someone could whip up a printable PDF or something. 

Edited: 02/22/2013 at 01:24 PM by Diamante Loco

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:32:46 PM
Tricky (0)

United States
Would any of those contractors be able to design the cart as well, or would that just be manufacturing of a predesigned cart?

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:44:26 PM
jjgames (47)
Colorado
Originally posted by: Tricky

Would any of those contractors be able to design the cart as well, or would that just be manufacturing of a predesigned cart?
They all do design services too.  That is the part that I really need help with.  Getting it manufactured shouldn't be a problem, but getting it designed seems to be tripping people up so far.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:57:53 PM
Tricky (0)

United States
Ah sweet, hope to hear some good news from them soon then =)

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:51:31 PM
jjgames (47)
Colorado
Kickstarter is probably out of the question because Nintendo officially owns the copyright on this game and circuit board. I don't think Kickstarter would let it through. It would probably need to be an informal thing.

I'll update as I hear from people.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:00:02 PM
Zwario (30)
California
JJ, thanks for all the encouraging info, and as for the Kickstarter, I'm pretty confident that if we got the word out, just here on NA we could raise a few thousand bucks, (especially if we made special numbered "Donor" carts with a special Label or matching limited edition Box, I'm sure Vince over at UncleTusk could make some amazing boxes for these as well!)

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:28:53 PM
jjgames (47)
Colorado
Update: The circuit board design places won't touch it because of the 'Nintendo' copyright on the circuit board. I've spoken with two other reproduction stores and none of them can do it because of the Mario Kart DSP. They have said that RetroUSB is probably the only shop that can do it right now. Hopefully someday bunnyboy will be willing to do it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:40:50 PM
Tricky (0)

United States
Ahh, that sucks :/ Even if bunnyboy does eventually decide to do it, it likely won't be until he finishes and releases the HDMI NES and Scoreboard projects he's working on, which he estimates won't be done until the end of the year.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:17:22 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
West Virginia
that's depressing as hell...thanks for at least looking into alternatives JJ