Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball Contest ends Sunday, 6/14/15 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:13:36 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Actually looking back at RBI Baseball from a previous contest, I see the rule was written the same as it is here and I see that several people tanked and lost by 10 but they were all ranked at the bottom.

Again, I am fine with being dead last this week but in the future I think that rule needs to say something like "Largest margin of victory wins" instead of "Greatest differential between your score and the computer wins. A positive score takes preference over a negative score." It's probably ambiguous either way.

-------------------------
Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:13:59 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: bertsampson

12 (14-2 Win)

photo IMAG1131_zpsafxrfu4c.jpg

Do you have an earlier score from the week to post?  That way you can get credit for a score this week since this one is missing your name.

He already explained how he made this score but forgot to put his username paper, and I told him to post his score anyway cause I can identify his setup. I think we should let this one slide, but feel free to have the final word on it sir.

No problemo, my friend.  I didn't realize you had made a ruling on it earlier in the week.  I will let it stand since you had already verified and validated the score

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:19:46 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Actually looking back at RBI Baseball from a previous contest, I see the rule was written the same as it is here and I see that several people tanked and lost by 10 but they were all ranked at the bottom.

Again, I am fine with being dead last this week but in the future I think that rule needs to say something like "Largest margin of victory wins" instead of "Greatest differential between your score and the computer wins. A positive score takes preference over a negative score." It's probably ambiguous either way.
I won't lie, when I read the rules, I saw this very ambiguity too, but thought that no one would consider that a big negative score would really make it to the top. What's funny, is that it may be actually rare to lose by a huge ass score, cause the computer might just start to play like shit when the score is too much at his advantage, is it the case?

As you suggest it, we'll try to avoid such ambiguity in the rules for the future

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:23:00 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Scoreboard all updated. I'm pretty sure I got it right.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:28:07 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
The most it's possible to lose by is 13 because the game ends anytime the CPU is winning by 10, so if you are down by 9 and give up a grand slam, all 4 runs count and the game ends right there. With positive/winning scores it's possible to go much higher than a differential of 13 because the CPU bats last and always gets a chance to bat before the game is over, so the player can run up the score as high as possible in their batting half of the inning. In part because that's how these baseball games work is also how I though my "strategy" was okay since -13 is the worst possible score. But in reality this was my attempt at taking a shot toward the top because I could not get there by actually trying to win a game. I only had the time for 3-4 attempts this week due to my life being what it is now. Also I just don't "get" how to play sports games well so it was worth the shot in trying to game the rules. I admit I am a little embarrassed at misinterpreting the rules but at least I wasn't the only one, and I thought it was kind of fun to lose in the most extreme way!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:39:41 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: Red

Just a warning, I'm playing right now and I feel like I have a shot at first place.

You're gonna give Doug a heart attack.

I was definitely sweating it out up to the deadline. I honestly expected him to post an 18-0 score at 10:59.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:39:54 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States

Come on Red,watcha got? Clock's ticking! Tick Tick Tick!

I was still playing up until my 10:57:42 post.  I struck out in an inning I was ahead by 14, but didn't have enough time to try to do better the next inning, so I posted a score from earlier in the day.  I seemed to keep getting to 14 or 15 points ahead, then I'd choke and strike out.

I don't usually like baseball games, but this one was pretty good.  I bought it 10 to 15 years ago but never got around to playing it.  Now that the contest is over, I think I'll try to actually beat the game.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:46:13 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Okay everyone, it's time to do another random prize drawing!  The game up for grabs this time around is Shooting Range for the NES.  The game has been cleaned and tested on my front loading NES and works perfectly.  There are a couple of initials written on the front of the cart and the back label has a small tear, but other than that, the game is great!  The game even responds well to the Zapper.  Just remember that this game is best played on a tube TV.  The winner will not be disappointed in this game   Here is a picture of the cart:

Here's how the drawing will work.  Everyone who submitted a score this week has been given a number at random.  I will use a random number generator to determine the winner.  The only two people exempt from the drawing this week are EgasKrad and Red since they have already won a random prize this year.  Here is everyone's number:

1 - arnpoly
2 - gutsman004
3 - TWarwick07
4 - cdbblw
5 - Caleb47
6 - bertsampson
7 - zobber
8 - floydfan38
9 - UncleTusk
10 - dra600n
11 - bearcat-doug
12 - skinnygrinny
13 - mattbep
14 - Balloon_Kid

I will announce the winner shortly.  Good luck to everyone

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:56:12 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
And we have a winner!!  Here is the winning number:

The winning number is 12, which means skinnygrinny is our big winner!  Congratulations on winning Shooting Range!

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:06:30 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I was still playing up until my 10:57:42 post.  I struck out in an inning I was ahead by 14, but didn't have enough time to try to do better the next inning, so I posted a score from earlier in the day.  I seemed to keep getting to 14 or 15 points ahead, then I'd choke and strike out.

I don't usually like baseball games, but this one was pretty good.  I bought it 10 to 15 years ago but never got around to playing it.  Now that the contest is over, I think I'll try to actually beat the game.

I beat it last week. It's pretty tough,but then again I wasn't using even close to the lineup I use now so maybe I'd smoke them if I played them with the roster I use.I actually started playing again once I saw that you had a good run going,but I couldn't do any better than a 13 run win.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:50:52 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

And we have a winner!!  Here is the winning number:

The winning number is 12, which means skinnygrinny is our big winner!  Congratulations on winning Shooting Range!

Allright!! Thanks for all your time and effort. All of you have made this very enjoyable. Trying to post my best score is something I look forward to every week.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:29:57 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States

I beat it last week. It's pretty tough,but then again I wasn't using even close to the lineup I use now so maybe I'd smoke them if I played them with the roster I use.I actually started playing again once I saw that you had a good run going,but I couldn't do any better than a 13 run win.
Yeah, it would probably be pretty easy for you now.  I breezed through it last night.  My current team is very different from the one I started with as well.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:04:42 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Not gonna lie, I have a serious issue with the highest scores being played on an emulator without video proof.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:08:58 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

Not gonna lie, I have a serious issue with the highest scores being played on an emulator without video proof.

Not gonna lie, that's why I won't submit scores if I don't own the game (e.g., this one). When I emulate, I can't help but save state. It's a compulsive thing, whether or not I fall back to them, they're there, and it's tempting.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:13:31 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Not gonna lie, that's why I won't submit scores if I don't own the game (e.g., this one). When I emulate, I can't help but save state. It's a compulsive thing, whether or not I fall back to them, they're there, and it's tempting.

There's also no excuse for not recording either. File -> log avi. Do a predetermined key press set by Bimmy and continue on with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if a score or 2 was posted this week, especially when there's been the slip up of using save states in the "can an beat every nes game". I don't buy it, and that's why I'll probably stop playing the weekly competitions.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:35:31 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

There's also no excuse for not recording either. File -> log avi. Do a predetermined key press set by Bimmy and continue on with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if a score or 2 was posted this week, especially when there's been the slip up of using save states in the "can an beat every nes game". I don't buy it, and that's why I'll probably stop playing the weekly competitions.

Hate to see you go man! I'd play every game on cart if I could but I just don't have the expendable income to buy every cart. I have recorded videos of runs in the past and I want to do more and post them Youtube,especially for Mega Man games. Also why I created that "thoughts on speed running" thread.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:22:33 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Hate to see you go man! I'd play every game on cart if I could but I just don't have the expendable income to buy every cart.

Same here. The cheapest copy I saw on ebay was $49 and that's a bit much to spend on a game that I may not play beyond the week of the contest. I think flash carts allow the use of save states too, so unless the person has their console in the picture, it would look like they were playing on an actual cart based on the screenshot alone.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 06/17/2015 at 03:40 PM by bearcat-doug