Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NESRULER CONTEST Presents: Smash TV Ends Next Sunday 12/13 at 9 o clock Central time (2 weeks left!

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:14:31 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Hey guys!
This weeks game is smash tv!
Post your score here with your name. no name no score!

NEW FOR 2010 NO EMULATORS WILL BE ALLOWED!!! JUST FOR CHEATING PURPOSES NO ONE EMULATORS FOR THE NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!! IM GONNA START PACKING STUFF UP FOR THE WINNERS! (HOPE YOU GUYS ARE NICE WITH SHIPPIN MONEY )

JEREMY

-------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:18:04 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Smash TV, might have played at most about 15 minutes of this (got through a few levels) when I first got it years ago, can't see me doing too good at it, this game is really chaotic, I don't do well under chaos, but if I'm up for it I'll give it a shot or few.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:30:17 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Hehehe...I might actually do pretty well on this one! I played this game quite a bit as a kid.

As for rules, we'll have to just go with no continues, since it's sometimes tough to realize you've died and thus one-life-ing it would be difficult.

Jeremy, just to clarify, PowerPaks on actual hardware are still allowed in 2010, correct?

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:49:25 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I guess powerpaks on actual hardware should still be allowed, as long as you can't have the extravagant possibilities an emulator offer, a rom on the real hardware is the same thing as the cart itself.

You just solved my problem Arch, I'll get my hand on a Powerpak for next year contest.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:23:59 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Powerpak is what I use 90% of the time. I only use carts when I have a bad file header or feel like changing the cart. Otherwise I'm just too dang lazy to switch the carts out constantly

Let's Go Penguins!

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:36:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Exactly.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:07:04 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I agree with the no continues rule as well. It would be really difficult to get far on this game with just one life.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:10:43 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I agree with the no continues rule as well. It would be really difficult to get far on this game with just one life.

No kidding.  One life in this game will get your through a few rooms

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:38:31 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Isn't this the game where you can use two controllers simultaneously to shoot and move on different axes?

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:46:43 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Yep, that's how I'll be playing it. Easier with two D-pads than using the buttons to shoot, feels more natural for this game since you can move any any direction with one, and shoot in any direction separately from how you are moving with the other.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:56:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
using both d-pads in the ONLY way to do well at this game. You'll get destroyed if you try to play with one controller.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:51:00 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

using both d-pads in the ONLY way to do well at this game. You'll get destroyed if you try to play with one controller.

Truer words have never been spoken.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:54:52 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
This game is f'in insane. I remember this was one of the first games I grabbed when I began collecting since it looked fun. It was definitely fun but it also was one huge PITA so I'm curious to see what types of scores we get.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:57:10 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
hmmm... i've only been using one controller. maybe i'll try it with two

Let's Go Penguins!

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:04:02 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

hmmm... i've only been using one controller. maybe i'll try it with two

you'll do more than twice as well

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:34:05 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i love this game always played at the arcade they had it on free play so i used to play for hours loved this game!
Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:35:44 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
After all this hype, maybe I'll have to try it out.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:47:01 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
I think rockin' 2 x Advantages is the way to roll

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:48:21 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I guess I'll get things started for the week.  I did very well, in fact almost made it to the cobra boss, before I lost all my lives.  We won't have to worry about the no continue rule this week because once you lose all of your lives, it's game over.  The game tries to make up for this by setting your life total to 5 after you beat a boss and start the next level, stage, arena, or whatever you want to call it.  I noticed this after I beat both Mutoid Man & Scarface, as I only had like 2 lives left after beating them.  If we need to revise the rules because of this, then I'll pull my picture, but for now, my score after losing all my lives is 6,542,335.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:28:08 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
My first attempt at Smash TV since I first got the game years ago. This game tires my fingers out, I have a hard time getting those diagonal shots especially when trying to shoot diagonally left because of how my thumb is situated on the D-pad and the vertical angle of the controller, and not used to only holding a controller one handed but its the only way to go. Boy this game is crazy, total chaos coming from everywhere!

Smash TV-score 2.314.335-game 1 (score at game over)
Photobucket

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:31:53 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I guess I'll get things started for the week.  I did very well, in fact almost made it to the cobra boss, before I lost all my lives.  We won't have to worry about the no continue rule this week because once you lose all of your lives, it's game over.  The game tries to make up for this by setting your life total to 5 after you beat a boss and start the next level, stage, arena, or whatever you want to call it.  I noticed this after I beat both Mutoid Man & Scarface, as I only had like 2 lives left after beating them.  If we need to revise the rules because of this, then I'll pull my picture, but for now, my score after losing all my lives is 6,542,335.

Probably should just do until game over, would be kind of hard to mentally keep track of how many deaths you have.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:25:51 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
^I was thinking the same thing. Nice score by the way, Megan. I have a hard time making the diagonal shots too, so one strategy I use is to run circles around the room. That way I can kill a bunch of enemies as they're coming out of the doorways. Give it a try & see if it helps you out.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:16:12 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
My second attempt at this, much better, made it to the snake boss, boy that thing got tough once it split in two, and then started breaking off segments of itself that exploded. I would've had more chances to kill it but wasted a bunch of lives on one of the buffalo arenas, "Use the Buffalo Gun", I hate those ones. Ugh, and them defaulting your lives to 5 after defeating a boss and going on to the next round can also work against you too, I had 8 lives after I defeated Mutoid Man, and when I got to the next round it took some of them away from me, starting me with 5 lives, terribly mean of them. It was rough getting to those snakes, takes so much concentration focusing on all that action coming from every direction, wore me out, took a long time to get up there too, don't think I could play more than one game at a time without having to stop to take a break.

Smash TV-score 6.468.270-game 2 (score at game over)
Photobucket 

Edited: 12/08/2009 at 01:16 AM by Miss Clawful

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:43:44 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Gave the game a third try a little while ago, made it to "Enter Key Room 2". Interestingly, after defeating the twin cobra bosses I didn't go back to the studio, instead just entered another arena room, so no lives defaulted to 5 this time, I was stuck with what I got there with, only 2 lives, ouch. By the time I got to the next room I only had a single life left, I was beaten to death. I figured something had to be up with the straight up continuation after the snakes, so looked it up in a faq, damn, I was close to beating this game! All I had to do is survive this room and I would've been on to battle to last boss. I'm pretty confident that this will be my next game victory.

Smash TV-score 8.064.340-game 3 (score at game over)
Photobucket Photobucket

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:53:59 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I gave it a try Yesterday night, and it was the first time I played this game with the two controllers. The only other time I played it that way, we were four players so 2 players were controlling one character, that wasn't really working well.
But I must admit the two controllers method is the only decent way to play this game, otherwise you get killed every now and then. I played with my bro when we were young and it was one controller each, and now I know for sure we never beat that game, I don't even think we went as far as Mutoid Man.

So I gave it a try Yesterday and could not finish my game. It took me about 40-45 minutes to pass the second level, and I just paused the game then. That's a long run for sure.
How much time it took you to get that far Megan?

Edited: 12/08/2009 at 02:54 PM by guillavoie