Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New NES Homebrew, NEScape! KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!!!! LINK IN FIRST POST!

Sep 23 at 10:53:13 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
I finally got around to downloading my goodies last night and looking around to see if I needed anything extra to play this on my flash cart of choice. It seems that a special mapper is required to be added to either an Everdrive N8 or PowerPak in order to get NEScape! going, but I can't find any consistent answer as to which one definitely works, if any. In a developer forum, I found a post saying that custom mapper #111 for the Everdrive N8 should do the trick, with one post late in the thread stating that someone had tried it and only got a yellow screen when attempting to run it this way. I found references in the same thread to custom mapper #30 for the PowerPak being the trick, and suggestions that perhaps the one for the Everdrive might work as well.

With that out of the way, has anyone successfully gotten the ROM to play on their flash cart? If so, which one, and how was this accomplished? I've tried to research around on this but am not finding any solid answers just yet and figured it was easier to ask than to start tinkering around in folders and with files via hex editors that I currently know less than zero about and end up breaking something. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Sep 23 at 11:47:20 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I've definitely had it running on my PowerPak with the addition of the mapper file located in the FAQ section of my Kickstarter.

The person who attempted to use the EverDrive mapper who only got the Yellow screen didn't properly edit the .bin file that is needed to tell the EverDrive which mapper file to use for mapper #111. If you only add the mapper file to the EverDrive but don't edit the .bin file it doesn't know which file to use automatically.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 23 at 12:00:29 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I've definitely had it running on my PowerPak with the addition of the mapper file located in the FAQ section of my Kickstarter.

The person who attempted to use the EverDrive mapper who only got the Yellow screen didn't properly edit the .bin file that is needed to tell the EverDrive which mapper file to use for mapper #111. If you only add the mapper file to the EverDrive but don't edit the .bin file it doesn't know which file to use automatically.

Good to know, thanks!  So will either 111 or 30 work, if added properly?  I've got both flash carts but personally prefer the easier to use (to me, anyway) menus and such on the Everdrive.  I'd like to add every mapper I can to ensure across-the-board compatibility, but don't want to have the game go nuts should I present two options that it can/will work with.  Thanks again for the heads up!

Edit:  Well, nevermind the first question, I guess.  Just took a look at the FAQ response you mentioned and it appears that the PowerPak mapper referenced there is also 111, so I imagine there wouldn't be any conflict if I installed both 30 and 111, as only 111 is the correct one for GTROM.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Edited: 09/23/2019 at 12:02 PM by darkchylde28

Sep 23 at 12:40:33 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Correct. While mapper 30 and 111 offer comparable features to the programmer, they are completely different mappers and shouldn't cause any sort of compatibility issues if you have both installed.

Since you prefer the EverDrive option, I'd be happy to edit the EverDrive maprout.bin file for you if you'd like to email it over to me. All you'd need is that edited file as well as the mapper file added to your EverDrive and you should (in theory) be good to go. I just don't have an EverDrive to personally test with, so I can only go off of what I read others say.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 09/23/2019 at 12:40 PM by KHAN Games