Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Games with MAJOR box art variations? Not counting REV-A, Hangtabs & Seal of Qualities.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:58:09 AM
Deathgaze (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Victoria
Would PAL variations count? As in PAL box art different to it's NTSC counter part.

If so here's some:

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 04:02 AM by Deathgaze

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:46:19 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

You forgot the unlicensed ones:

Also Gun.Smoke cartoon art is the original and the profile art is the variant.

A few others I would consider:
SMB 3 ("Bros." at left and right on box/cart/manual) pretty obvious, but overall art remains the same
Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge (w/ and w/o large Daytona 500 trip offer)
there are a few others with offers on the box:
TMNT II
Mega Man 2 & 3
Castlevania 3

but these are all debatable as to how "major" the art difference is to the overall design.

Yeah I've actually seen 3 different varients for King of Kings The early years.

-------------------------
Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:50:13 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I think most of the big ones have been mentioned. Another one I can think of is the Mario is Missing with and without the "Mario Discovery Series" logo on the front. Coincidentally someone sold one of each earlier this month, market didn't seem to value them any differently. IMO, Discovery Series is significantly rarer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:07:25 AM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Bases Loaded had a box variation as well. One has the oval seal in the bottom right, and the other has a banner touting a free poster.

Oval Seal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASES-LOA...

Poster Language: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bases-Loa...

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:41:04 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Bases Loaded has 4 variants, I posted my pics long ago of all 4 in the Variant thread in the Help Wanted section of NA.
Found my old pics in that old thread.  4 different variants all with different boxes.  LOL to think I actually had boxes that were once this beat up, thankfully they've all been upgraded since this pic.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 01:46 PM by Braveheart69

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:48:46 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Oh and you can't throw in PAL to this list otherwise it's just crazyness.  This is an old pic from about 4 years ago of just my non USA SMB.  Since this pic, I've got at least double this many CIB's of SMB non USA.  Collecting NON USA makes it fun because the quest can continue, kinda like beating Zelda for the first time back in the day.  But for sake of this list I think you have to contain it to USA.  But it's not my list so.... Not to mention Brazil stuff and others.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 11:51 AM by Braveheart69

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:21:57 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Braveheart's right, not including international stuff. There are too many regions, too many variants, too many things to account for and simply too many unknowns.

I've updated the list to include unlicensed / licensed, and unlicensed titles as well.

MAN this list is really piling up! I love it

C'mon guys, anything more? I'm including things like "Warning Labels added to side" of box now too.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:02:11 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Heh if you are including unlicensed then Trolls has all the different hair color dolls attached and the non hole punched box that never came with a troll attached at all.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:09:37 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Following the troll theme, Monster in my Pocket has different colored monsters with different rarities too. That's not a box variation, but still a "complete in box" variation if you catch my drift.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:20:32 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
If it's a list of box variants, the different trolls and the monster from MimP should not be tracked. The Trolls variant with no troll should definitely be tracked though.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:31:25 PM
goldendark007 (76)
(Grodacious ) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: jonebone

Following the troll theme, Monster in my Pocket has different colored monsters with different rarities too. That's not a box variation, but still a "complete in box" variation if you catch my drift.
I thought there was a specific exlcusive monster that came with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons...

Originally posted by: Guntz

I must say though, it's almost movie-like that a repro collector gives his green horns a try at soldering a repro cartridge.
http://teamchris.org

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 03:31 PM by goldendark007

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:38:45 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: goldendark007

Originally posted by: jonebone

I thought there was a specific exlcusive monster that came with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_in_My_Pocket#Video_games

There are four colors of the same monster, some rarer than others.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:07:46 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Phleo,

Not sure what original on your list means but if its to mean first issue, then you have the three tengens backwards, the licensed versions came first (rbi, pacman, gauntlet).

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:59:48 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Thanks for the correction Bronty.

The list is for first issue *and* major variants tracking.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:17:55 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
cool. So if we are trying to track original versions here then I think we need to be careful about some of these.

I think flying dragon is backwards too?

How do we know the non-promo mega man 2 came first, etc etc.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:20:51 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
The red box Flying Dragon was first. The white came second. Too lazy to check which one he's got listed

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22:54 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Very true, I was hoping some of the experts can help me clear that up.

But for most things I just checked if there was a Circle Seal / Oval Seal or Rev-A non Rev-A version to determine which came first. For the ones where that's not possible, I have no clue so I chose the one I thought proper.

Perhaps for the capcom stripes games we can cross reference the release dates of all the NES Capcom games.

Edit: Fixed flying dragon.

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 05:24 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:56:36 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
^ Sure, I just think that if you are going to label one as original you should limit it to ones we are sure about. Ones where you aren't sure maybe a separate section or a different column name?

Maybe erik can help on some of these too.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:57:00 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

The red box Flying Dragon was first. The white came second. Too lazy to check which one he's got listed

yeah that's what I understood it to be as well.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:03:52 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
The promo capcoms are first as evidenced by the box still being there but the promo language removed. They would not have made a blank box blocking the artwork to go in later to add a promo. Not to mention that I know off tje top of my head that the Mickey Mousecapade with the promo removed is a -1 coded box. Also true on Rescue Rangers the -1 code box has the promo stripe removed.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:14:47 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Thanks, fixed!

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:16:42 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
There are 3 different label variants for Impossible Mission II:
AVE version
EPYX/SEI color label
SEI black & white label

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:20:37 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Label or Box? This is a list ONLY for boxes.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:25:39 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
thx Erik

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:39:45 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Originally posted by: pegboy

There are 3 different label variants for Impossible Mission II:
AVE version
EPYX/SEI color label
SEI black & white label
Uh... we're talking about boxes.  Don't start intermingeling label variants, etc... otherwise I have 8 different on this one.