Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Mega Man Contest ends Sunday, 11/24/13 at 10 PM NA time

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:39:29 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  I'm gonna get things started early this week because I will not be around at 10 PM to post the contest and I don't want you guys to have to wait around for this one.  This week's game is going to be a Capcom classic which spawned one of the most popular video franchises of all time.  That's right, this week it's going to be Mega Man.  This contest is going to be a furthest progression/low score contest, so the key to this one will be to get as far in the game as possible while keeping your score as low as possible.  Here are the rules (be sure to read them very closely):

• Get as far in the game as possible
  • The lowest score takes precedence in the event of a tie (ex. If two people beat the game, who ever had the lower score takes precedence in the standings)
  • Play until Life "0."  You are allowed to play on Life "0" so it will be easier to determine how far participants get in the game.  Scores will not be accepted on the Game Over screen.  You must take your picture before you get a Game Over.  Play it safe and capture pictures of your score as you prgress through your last life.
  • You must play the stages in this order: Bomb Man, Guts Man, Cut Man, Elec Man, Ice Man, Fire Man.  Anyone suspected of not playing in this order will have their score disqualified.
  • The use of the "pause trick" to safely kill enemies, bosses, progress through the game, etc. is strictly forbidden.  Anyone suspected of using this trick, or any other trick in the game that can help them bypass enemies, bosses, parts of the game, etc., will have their score disqualified.
  • It is forbidden to farm for extra lives, health, energy capsules, etc. by scrolling the screen.
  • Re-entering stages is strictly forbidden.  If anyone does this as an alternative to playing through parts of the game to make it look like you played all the Robot Masters, you will be banned from further competition.
  • If you beat the game, take your picture quickly after Dr. Wily has been defeated.  Be ready to take your picture.
  • Video proof of a score may be asked for at any time for any reason for this contest.
  • Furthest progression with the lowest score wins
  • GENRE: Action/Platformer

The contest ends Sunday, 11/24/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

A couple more things I want to mention.  One, mattyjmania has a little surprise in store for everyone this week that I'm sure you all will be excited about.  And two, mattyjmania runs a website called 8bitevolution, where you can buy video games, some cool pins, and some awesome perler art.  There's also a blog that has some really cool video game related articles.  Check them out here:

http://8bitevolution.com/

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 11/25/2013 at 12:03 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:11:17 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Holy crap a game I actually have that I can play this week. I haven't had any of the games for like the last seven weeks, so I'm looking forward to competing this week. I also suck at original Mega Man, so this is a perfect time to get better at it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:25:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
This should be interesting since the boss points are randomized. I've never paid attention to it before, but does your score carry over when you beat the game?

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:12:46 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Nevermind. According to the Twin Galaxies website the game does loop so you should be able to get your final score that way.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:19:10 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:22:17 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I made a couple updates to the rules, especially re-entering stages. Don't even think about it or you will be banned from the contests.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:50:18 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
i hate you have to mention this but i guess it should go without saying.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:23:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I made a couple updates to the rules, especially re-entering stages. Don't even think about it or you will be banned from the contests.
I didn't even know that you could reenter the stages. Since it's a low score contest that probably wouldn't make sense to do anyway.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:28:55 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I didn't even know that you could reenter the stages. Since it's a low score contest that probably wouldn't make sense to do anyway.

Technically, one could just re-enter a stage they're really good at a bunch of times and then go to Fire Man and act like they lost all their lives there without putting much effort into the game.  I want to keep stuff like that from happening this week.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:53:03 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I made one more update to the rules. I would like anyone who beats the game to take their picture right after they beat Dr. Wily. This will be the fairest way to determine if someone beat the game legitimately or not. Taking a picture on Bomb Man's stage after beating the game presents a lot of possible problems that I would like to avoid. I would recommend everyone be ready to take a picture as soon as Wily is defeated. I would urge everyone to take a picture while fighting him in case you miss the chance to get a picture after he's defeated.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:01:36 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Oh man, I've been waiting for this one. Been extremely busy the past few weeks, but I will definitely try to find some time for this.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:14:48 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Also bimmy remember that you can farm life and weapon energy,e.g. you can collect weapon/life capsules, leave the screen and go back and collect them again. That should be forbidden.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:16:01 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
I haven't played this Mega Man but I know in other ones you have your screen with all your acquired powers that you can select to use. Does this one also feature something like that? And if it does should a picture be included of the powers that are acquired to show exactly how far you have gotten?

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:09:13 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
GIVEAWAY

so as Bimmy Mentioned, myself and 8Bit Evolution (my company) will be doing a giveaway for this Mega Man Contest

We will be giving away Mega Man Wily Wars Repro CIB for the Sega Genesis

We take pride in what we do, as well, in addition to repros, do a lot of cool, custom things

Check out our site http://8bitevolution.com/, as it is a new site and is literally updated DAILY, so check back often.

We offer a wide range of products,have Community driven Blogs, and more

The WINNER will be chosen by random with Random number generator... ALL you have to do to enter the contest is,,,,well,,, enter THIS weekly contest and you are in! So tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell your enemies (so you can beat the crap outta them in the contest and make them sad).

I also have a bunch of Sega Reproductions for sale here: http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&thread...

Here is what the winner will get

Edited: 11/18/2013 at 11:11 AM by mattyjmania

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:17:26 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
^^ Incredible prize man. That's awesome of you.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:26:12 PM
Lance (0)
(Lance ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Quick Question: In Dr. Wily Stage 1 you need the magnet beam ammo to reach the boss. If you run out of ammo, is it acceptable to keep going back down to the shooting platforms to recharge your ammo?

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:58:04 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I added a second picture at the beginning of Bomb Man's stage after beating the game because the first one is a bit blurry: 1,015,000 (Game Completed)

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 11:52 AM by bearcat-doug

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:22:37 PM
Lance (0)
Alabama

I died before the boss rush trying to get the Yashichi and extra life. I recorded my playthrough, so i can provide more evidence as needed.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:35:22 PM
ProtoScott (26)
(Mr. SpaceBeard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
It's Monday night. I've got no homework, a 2-liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock!

Hey you!! Got some Mega Man games??? Wanna sell 'em???

Well Click here ----> http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it isn't checked off PM me!!

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:08:21 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Lance

I died before the boss rush trying to get the Yashichi and extra life. I recorded my playthrough, so i can provide more evidence as needed.

No Game Over screen submissions are acceptable because we need to see exactly where you stopped your attempt since this is a furthest progression contest.  If you have video proof of it, post the video here and I can make a determination.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:06:39 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: ProtoScott

It's Monday night. I've got no homework, a 2-liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock!

Relevant: 

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:32:03 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Just an FYI for all of you who are near the tops of the genre leaderboards. We are on the last leg of games for the year, so each week for the rest of the year is going to see a genre icon winner. If you're within reach of winning one of the icons, give it your best shot to earn a genre icon. 1942 marked the last Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up for the year and dev(2) and guillavoie tied for first in that genre, so they both win the icon. Mega Man is our last Action/Platformer of the year and there are several of you who could easily win that icon this week, so give the game your best shot

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:50:23 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Okay, just played through the game for a practice run (first time!) and noticed that in Wily's castle there is a part that you can only beat by creating steps out of the "M" platform generating gun. However, if you run out of energy for the gun you are stuck...unless you go to the previous screen over and over to collect energy capsules to fill up your bar again.

Should we make an exception to the "no farming supplies" rule for this part of the game? Or is there another way to beat it that I am not aware of?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:35:24 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Okay, just played through the game for a practice run (first time!) and noticed that in Wily's castle there is a part that you can only beat by creating steps out of the "M" platform generating gun. However, if you run out of energy for the gun you are stuck...unless you go to the previous screen over and over to collect energy capsules to fill up your bar again.

Should we make an exception to the "no farming supplies" rule for this part of the game? Or is there another way to beat it that I am not aware of?

Having the magnet beam for that part of the stage is mandatory.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 07:39 AM by gutsman004

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:07:16 PM
Lance (0)
Alabama
Yea, I would think going back and getting energy for the magnet beam would be acceptable, becasue there's no other way to refill your weapons unless you use a continue.

Would a last 15 seconds of gameplay be acceptable for judging, or should I post the whole video here?

If so, here is the video of the point where I died: http://tinypic.com/r/20fukv7/5...

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 07:33 PM by Lance