Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homiebrewz 8 BIT XMAS 2018 dev on drugs!

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:00:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Photos for this post are at https://www.facebook.com/retroUSB...

I don't think I can yet coherently code (drugs are good mkay), but here is the general plan.  In January I was looking for something nobody has done and was interested in angled surfaces like Marble Madness, Kirbys Dream Course, Monkey Ball, etc.  Brad Lizard and Orab have also worked on isometric drawing.  A Ski Free type game has always been on my list and previously I had made a proto that was multiplayer, but that didn't work well.  The speed differences between the players was a big problem to where whoever was slow essentially could never catch up.  They just endlessly teleport like RC Pro AM.

Combining the angles with Ski Free turns it more into an exploring or casual trip down.  The problem with those games is they only do flat or 45 degree angles, so it doesn't really look 3d.  There is where the graph paper comes in!  Had to figure out how to draw 3d terrain with tiles instead of lines, how many angles I could get, how to calculate the height or slope at a point on screen, etc.  Once I got to the "yes this will work" point on paper I pretty much put it down until today.  The next step is many hours of programming before seeing anything on screen...

The first ROM is available is from that 2014 effort at Ski Free.  It endlessly scrolls with randomly generated obstacles.  Collisions and speed changes works but that is all.  I don't remember how to get the 2nd player now.  Support the Assembly Line podcast at https://www.patreon.com/nesassemb... to get access to all the ROMs for this project, including the final game!

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:03:33 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Do we get to play as Santa? Or how about we play as The Grinch and we're trying to get to the North Pole to take out Santa? So obstacles could be Christmas items. Various scores get you to a certain point in the game. Just spit ballin

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:53:39 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
if your looking to do 3d here are some games/homebrews that did good on a 3d effect.

personally i would mind seeing 8 bit xmas version snake rattle n roll  

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:41:15 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
None of those have actual hills tho. Nessenstein is extruded 2d, Days of Thunder is like a prerecorded movie, and World Runner is stretching/compressing a flat terrain. Snake Rattle n Roll is the closest but like the others still only uses 45 degree slopes. The atlas maps of it are awesome! http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/Snake...

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:38:21 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Good work as always Brian, look forward to this year as I do every year. I still need to pickup an '17 cart at some point. Missed that one  

-------------------------
May the force be with you.

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:08:00 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Good work as always Brian, look forward to this year as I do every year. I still need to pickup an '17 cart at some point. Missed that one  

Still shows available on their site

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:54:44 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Shane

Originally posted by: Foochie776

Still shows available on their site

Gold to know!!

May the force be with you.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:44:12 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
It is very weird to be dumb but smart enough to know you are dumb   The drugs took away more brain power than I was expecting so I have only been able to focus enough to figure this stuff out in the last few days. I would start writing down how to calculate the terrain but just go in circles for an hour and make no progress. Now I have an excel file that generates the random slopes, and a website (leftover from pinball layouts) that draws the data so I can see if it is correct. You can see the current version at https://retrousb.com/x8/slope/slo... Use - and + to zoom in lots, then rezise the window so you can see 32 x 28 blue squares and that is the size of the NES screen. There are 65000 points so it could take a while... I might need to change the randomizer so there are fewer flat and very steep areas. Next up is writing the NES code to draw the landscape.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:35:11 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
You wanna talk problems? I made a great DMC of a donkey but can't get a clean jingle bell sound (official music track listing in 37 days).

Good luck doing the lord's work, Brian!!!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:36:05 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
What if you hop tile to tile with other players down an isometric snowy mountain/city/christmas-y place while grabbing power ups, and trying to sabotage each other? Planting traps on squares, sliding attacks that travel across a row of tiles, behind you, or at an angle. Plus you gotta have some snowballs you can throw at each other! Maybe the goal could be collecting stuff on the way down or just first one to the bottom. The collecting stuff along the way could help solve the problem with people getting stuck too far back since everyone would have to stop and move towards the must-have collectibles. It'd be fun trying to collect stuff along the way, but as you all get close to the bottom trying to be first for extra points or something.

If someone was intentionally not moving forward and stuck against the back of the screen the other players could push against the bottom of the screen a few times to damage the lagger against the top/back and knock him up a few squares so he could get his rear in gear. With this you could eventually TKO them this way so they couldn't keep doing it. Plus it'd be funny. =)

Someone should notify Commander Santa! Heck he should be a playable character. Actually it'd be cool if some of the NA members were playable or secret unlockable characters. Can I play as NGD?

Just my thoughts! Looking forward to the next X-Mas game! =)

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:13:26 AM
Kevin (0)
(A Fart Personified ) < Little Mac >
Washington
According to the RetroUSB facebook page this game is coming out mid-late October. Can't wait to play, wooo

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:59:12 PM
zi (73)
New York
There's a nice vid of the process on retrousb's FB page. It seems like a good time to give the track listing:

1. All I want for Christmas
2. Jolly Ol Saint Nicholas
3. Dominic the Christmas Donkey
4. Winter Wonderland

I'm pretty sure those are correct!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:29:13 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
I was just thinking about the X-mas carts, and what new you could do. Have you ever considered using the expansion audio? Obviously, you'd want a switch, since many people don't have the expansion audio mod. Also, you'd need to integrate new chips in, since you probably mostly use a new template every year. Was just a thought, since you've been so creative with these in the past.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:16:55 PM
Mechachrome (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Washington
Will this be available at PRGE?

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:19:35 AM
Shane (146)
United States
Any updates on the XMAS dev?

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:29:24 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I just posted a (maybe?) final ROM over at the Assembly Line patreon page.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:53:48 PM
BacteriaMage (2)
< Cherub >
Wisconsin
I just tried the latest ROM from Patreon. I enjoyed it; really nice work! Laugh-out-loud too the first time I (ahem) died.

One question: I see it's keeping score and that the score resets after crashing. Is there a highest score display or a high score list? If there is I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to show.

Thanks!

https://bacteriamage.wordpress.co...

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:04:12 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Any word on when they go up for sale this year since the ROM (seems) finished?

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:21:07 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
8-bit Xmax 2018 is a Ski game (not unlike the free Win3.1 Skifree app) up on the "hidden" page at RetroUSB, so shouldn't be long. Oddly enough, it's November and 8-bit Xmas 2017 is still available. Presumably no pinup posters this year. Was 2016 Pinball the end of an era?  

This xmas we are hitting the slopes and doing some skiing, so suit up and grab your gear (snowboarders are welcome too)! Score by making your way through the gates, or hit the ramps and pull off some sick tricks for big points! Be careful not to crash, it will hurt lots and your score will reset!

Think you are king of the mountain? Xmas Skiing is scoreboard compatible, you can upload your best score with the AVS and see how you rank!

This original game cartridge is built using all new parts. No donor carts were harmed in the making of this game.

Anywho, looking forward to this. Believe it or not, I had fun on thd Win3.1 game bitd. I wonder if the pooping dog and the abominable snowman make a return?

Been busy with my second hobby (ceramics) plus a full time job, so my free time is divided.  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 11/12/2018 at 12:35 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:08:01 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Sale page is up!

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:07:27 PM
Kevin (0)
(A Fart Personified ) < Little Mac >
Washington
Wooo! And the Christmas cards have returned!

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:40:11 PM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I opted out of the poster when ordering because I dont know what it looks like. Anyone have a pic of it?

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:13:24 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:16:51 AM
zi (73)
New York
OMG GET YOUR SHOES OFF THE COUCH!

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:09:58 PM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: zi

OMG GET YOUR SHOES OFF THE COUCH!

That's funny. I wish she had on some muddy Rick James boots.