Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Battletoads & Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 6/22/14 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:30:51 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests.  I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for helping me a few weeks ago with getting my girlfriend Marian back from my brother, Jimmy.  Man did we ever kick his ass!!  Can you believe how much he cried when I put him in that headlock?  What a wimp!  Now let’s fast-forward to today:  Jimmy and I are getting along a lot better now.  Jimmy started dating this new girl, but they broke up and she seemed really pissed about it.  So, this afternoon the two of us are chilling back at home with our new neighbors, the Battletoads.  I know, right?  I can hardly believe it myself!  I’m neighbors with the…Battletoads!  Their fourth brother, Jerms, couldn't make it unfortunately.  They said he ate too much Spam the night before and got really sick.  I'm sure Jimmy and I will meet him sooner or later.  Also, the Ninja Turtles were supposed to be here, too, but they had to go save Manhattan from Shredder.  Man, that Shredder guy is a party pooper!   I was looking forward to hanging out with Michaelangelo since he’s a party dude and all.  Anyway, the doorbell rings and Jimmy goes to answer the door.  We get all excited because we think the Ninja Turtles have finished saving Manhattan.  Pimple is practically shrieking like a girl, while Rash and Zitz are getting out their Ninja Turtles comics to get them autographed.  Jimmy flings open the door, and much to our disappointment, there’s this giant rat standing there dressed up like a pizza-delivery man holding a pizza box.  As Jimmy turns around and says “Who ordered a pizza,” the Battletoads’ jaws all drop to their knees and their eyes pop out of their heads as they bob up and down and point.  Before I can do anything, this gas grenade comes flying from behind the rat and lands in the middle of the living room.  Gas immediately pours from the canister and we all pass out.  The last thing I remember before blacking out was seeing a half-man, half-robot shove his way past the rat and into our place, followed by a giant bull, and Abobo himself!  And Abobo was saying something about leaving a special “Super C” gift in the toilet.

A little while later, we all came to and our attackers were nowhere to be found.  Jimmy noticed a note pinned to his shirt and Rash immediately pulled it from his shirt.  He unfolded the note and read the words scrawled across the paper:

“Jimmy,

It was stupid of you to break up with me!  Can’t you see that we are supposed to be together forever?  Since you don’t want me anymore, I have no choice but to destroy Earth!  And to help me do that, I’ve recruited your arch-enemy, the Shadow Boss!  You know, he is kind of handsome, hahaha!  You want to stop me?  You’ll have to get past Abobo, Roper, Big Blag, Robo-Manus, General Slaughter, the Shadow Boss, and yours truly!  You and your brother Bimmy and those slimy toads don’t stand a chance!  Hahahahahahaha!  Come and get me…if you dare!

Much Love,
The Dark Queen

P.S. My minions also turned all your books around backward, re-arranged your DVDs so they are no longer in alphabetical order, drank all your beer and didn’t use coasters while they sat around your coffee table and watched wrestling on Pay-Per-View (wait until you get your cable bill, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!), and last but not least, changed the time on all your clocks!!  Hahahahahahaha!!!!  Oh, and Abobo left you guys a nice “surprise” in your toilet.  You will probably have to call a plumber.”

Can you believe this???  Jimmy was dating the Dark Queen????  Was he out of his mind???  And what is this with everyone calling me Bimmy?  Hello, my name is Billy…B-I-L-L-Y…Billy!!!  Not Bimmy!  Bimmy isn’t even a real name!  Also, if any of you out there is a plumber or knows a plumber, get them over to my place right away!  What Abobo did to my bathroom this time around pales in comparison to the last time.  Anyway, this is where we need your help.  Jimmy, the Battletoads, and I need you to help us get to the Shadow Boss and the Dark Queen and stop them from destroying the planet.  Cuz if you don’t, it’s lights out for all of us.  And then afterward, please come help me plunge the toilet.  I swear I will make it worth your while.  I will give anyone who comes by to help a free copy of the Double Dragon Movie.  Jimmy and I have tons of copies.  I don’t understand why we couldn’t sell all of them.  The movie wasn’t that bad, was it?  Anyway, help guide the Ultimate Team to the bad guys’ base!  Hmmmm, Ultimate Team…that sounds like a good tagline…I think the Battletoads and Jimmy and I should trademark that line…Anyway, here’s what you all need to do:

• 1 player only
  • Choose whichever character you want
  • Play until your last life (No hearts remaining)
  • No continues allowed
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • Lowest score takes precedence in the event two or more people get to the same spot in the game
  • Furthest progression wins
  • GENRE: Beat 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 6/22/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/22/2014 at 04:04 PM by bimmy_lee

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:58:02 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Why does this cost so much on eBay? I wanted a hard copy.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:28:08 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Score edit.

Edited: 06/21/2014 at 11:26 PM by gutsman004

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:45:04 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Added my typical humorous intro to the contest since I didn't have time to do it before work on Sunday Hope you all enjoy it.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:57:23 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Added my typical humorous intro to the contest since I didn't have time to do it before work on Sunday Hope you all enjoy it.

ZING!

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:28:19 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Just to clarify, this one is akin to how TMNT: Arcade was rated?

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:55:19 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
First time playing this... I love Battletoads so I love this game too! Here's what I could do after a few games.

267750. I was in an area where there were some crows and some birds in stage 3-2 I believe

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:50:38 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Just to clarify, this one is akin to how TMNT: Arcade was rated?

Correct.  Your goal is to get as far in the game as possible while at the same time keeping your score low.  If two people end their runs in the same spot, the lower score takes precedence.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:22:30 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yikes! Was hoping for controls that felt more like the Double Dragon series.

This is brutal!

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:44:03 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I think we need some clarification on the rules. The idea is play until the start of your last life, right? The rules say "Play until your last life (One heart remaining)" but that is actually your second-to-last life ... your last life is really when all the hearts at the top are hollow. Shouldn't that be the stopping point?

I've beaten this game before and trying to beat it low-score style adds a nice layer of difficulty to an already difficult game. I don't think I've ever beat the game on a single continue though.

At least this week features a game I enjoy playing!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:51:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I think we need some clarification on the rules. The idea is play until the start of your last life, right? The rules say "Play until your last life (One heart remaining)" but that is actually your second-to-last life ... your last life is really when all the hearts at the top are hollow. Shouldn't that be the stopping point?

I've beaten this game before and trying to beat it low-score style adds a nice layer of difficulty to an already difficult game. I don't think I've ever beat the game on a single continue though.

At least this week features a game I enjoy playing!

I thought the same thing,but I just did what I was instructed anyway.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:19:55 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
arnpoly is right, your attempt ends once you only have 1 life left, which corresponds to no hearts.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:38:24 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Level 4-2, phase 5 when the big ship started shooting homing missiles out the front.

If someone happens to get to the same spot, score is 457,350.

Edited: 06/18/2014 at 11:17 PM by mattbep

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:53:22 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Seriously, Bimmy simply goofed about the hearts count. He meant last life, last life = no heart.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:59:17 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: guillavoie

arnpoly is right, your attempt ends once you only have 1 life left, which corresponds to no hearts.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:01:06 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

No problem man, I'm paid to do this (wait, I'm not paid at all!).

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:47:27 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Wouldn't it be a sweet job if you were!

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:50:38 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Hehe, yeah, you can bet the leaderboards would be instantly updated all year long. Speaking of that, the main leaderboard is updated, I'll fix the genre leaderboards pretty soon (matter of 1-2 days) so everyone knows if they can get their hand on an icon.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:40:43 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Sorry guys, I goofed the rules a little bit. It should have read no hearts remaining instead of one. I typed this all up in a matter of a couple minutes as I was supposed to be heading out the door to work lol. The rules have been adjusted and are now correct. For those who submitted scores already, they still count, but you may want to make another attempt to take advantage of using your last life.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:42:32 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I'll pay you in Double Dragon: The Movie DVDs, hehe

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:02:53 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Sorry guys, I goofed the rules a little bit. It should have read no hearts remaining instead of one.

That Super C messed you up really bad!

Edited: 06/17/2014 at 08:03 AM by gutsman004

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:24:30 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Sorry guys, I goofed the rules a little bit. It should have read no hearts remaining instead of one.

That Super C messed you up really bad!

Yeah, no one would come plunge the toilet, so I had to go in hands first.  Damn Abobo!

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:56:23 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

That's okay, I prefer to do it for free then

Edited: 06/17/2014 at 11:56 PM by guillavoie

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:32:37 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

That's okay, I prefer to do it for free then

Hey it's got Alyssa Milano in it,it has to be worth something.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:12:22 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Level 7

Edited: 06/22/2014 at 07:43 PM by BriGuy82