Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Toobin' Contest ends Sunday, 11/23/14 at 11 PM NA time

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:15:55 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

All seriousness, it's in a group of obsticles, one of the sets with four lined up in it that you encounter.  The problem is, I don't remember which set exactly nor which one in the line it is, I just know its in one of the sets of four.  Hey, it was late when I found out, so cut me some slack

That is actually a big help, since it saves me hitting anything on the right-hand side (the groups of 4 were all on the left).

Cuts out 3/7 of the targets.

Cuts it down even more if I skip the first couple of rows of 4.

We'll see if I can pull it off, though   Not actually sure if I'll get a game in this weekend, or not.

-------------------------

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:12:34 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

That is actually a big help, since it saves me hitting anything on the right-hand side (the groups of 4 were all on the left).

Cuts out 3/7 of the targets.

Cuts it down even more if I skip the first couple of rows of 4.

We'll see if I can pull it off, though   Not actually sure if I'll get a game in this weekend, or not.

Good luck man, I hope you do have time to try again. 

I'm probably done now since I don't think I have any more room to improve but I'll still be score watching

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:39:45 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Managed to get the apostrophe!

Made it all the way to Class 5 Yukon, but didn't quite match your score.
Would have had an extra million if not for the tornado depriving me of the B (probably would have been worth dying to try again to get that letter)

Ended up with 3.2 mil and change.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:09:54 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin

Would have had an extra million if not for the tornado depriving me of the B (probably would have been worth dying to try again to get that letter)

Wow nice run!  Maybe I'm not done yet afterall!

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:13:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Wow nice run!  Maybe I'm not done yet afterall!

Yeah, you get the first word completed after Mississippi, and can get a second one done by the time the 2nd apostrophe shows up, assuming you snag that damn B.

If I'd cleared the couple of levels to get as far as you, we might have been roughly tied.
So yeah, pull off your same run and spell the word twice, then you're golden.

There MIGHT be a scoring strategy in skipping the first "T", since there are two "T" levels in a row after you'd have otherwise completed the word.  If both of those "T"s were after the class letter bonus, then you could (a) collect the 210k bonus, (b) finish the word with the first T, (c) get your 2nd word started with the 2nd T and sitll finish the 2nd word on schedule when the 2nd apostrophe shows up.

Can't remember if those two T's in a row straddle the class change, or not, though.

EDIT TO ADD:

Also, took the level 1 warp just to see what it did, there are 2 sets of 3 1-ups, but you can only pick one or the other.  If you get to the end of the level, the shortest distance warp takes you to Yukon Class 2.

I don't think the 3 lives are worth missing the entirety of class 1, but I could be wrong.

Edited: 11/22/2014 at 07:23 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:10:05 PM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
I completely forgot to submit my score last week, breaking my streak for the year. Oh well, I did get some time to put in some practice on this score.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:31:59 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin

Yeah, you get the first word completed after Mississippi, and can get a second one done by the time the 2nd apostrophe shows up, assuming you snag that damn B.

If I'd cleared the couple of levels to get as far as you, we might have been roughly tied.
So yeah, pull off your same run and spell the word twice, then you're golden.

There MIGHT be a scoring strategy in skipping the first "T", since there are two "T" levels in a row after you'd have otherwise completed the word.  If both of those "T"s were after the class letter bonus, then you could (a) collect the 210k bonus, (b) finish the word with the first T, (c) get your 2nd word started with the 2nd T and sitll finish the 2nd word on schedule when the 2nd apostrophe shows up.

Can't remember if those two T's in a row straddle the class change, or not, though.

EDIT TO ADD:

Also, took the level 1 warp just to see what it did, there are 2 sets of 3 1-ups, but you can only pick one or the other.  If you get to the end of the level, the shortest distance warp takes you to Yukon Class 2.

I don't think the 3 lives are worth missing the entirety of class 1, but I could be wrong.

I managed to get two "TOOBIN'"s spelled out in a run and...I wasn't able to turn it in for a second million.  After I got the second apostrophe in American, the screen only said "press A for Beach Party".  I may have pressed a wrong button, since it wouldn't be the first time I screwed something up (I missed the "B" in Class 4 and claimed there wasn't one after Class 2 before.  Oops), but I'm fairly positive I did it right.

Anyway, I still managed to improve my score by over 200K, which I'm guessing is thanks to the 280K bonus after Class 4.  I may try some more runs today if I have time.  Otherwise, I'm fine with this effort as well.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:49:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Crazy. I would like to see it myself, but probably won't get to it today since I have to get stuff readying for a holiday trip that is back to back with a business trip to a tradeshow.

Will be stuck playing emulators for the next two weeks of the contest :/

Long story short, probably stuck with my 3.2-and-change from yesterday.

Though based on our scores, it looks less and less like the world record actually involved beating the game.

Edited: 11/23/2014 at 01:50 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:25:44 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Here's my final score... I would have loved breaking 300K but I couldn't. Also, where's that damn apostrophe? (I sunk on River Amazon).

Fun game!!!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:35:02 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Here's my final score... I would have loved breaking 300K but I couldn't. Also, where's that damn apostrophe? (I sunk on River Amazon).

Fun game!!!

The one in Mississippi is on the 2nd to last set (I think) of 4 trees on the .eft-hand side of the screen.

You need to hit the trees by stopping in the river and targeting them.
Then when the apostrophe appears, quickly get below it and catch it when it goes to fly off the bottom of the screen.

EDIT:  meant left... would be the player-character's right-hand side

Edited: 11/23/2014 at 05:48 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:40:02 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Bombed out in Argentum in Class 4.  I was really close to spelling out TOOBIN' for a second time, but after reading through the thread I guess it doesn't get you another million?  Either way, if I could have made it through Class 4 I'd be in the whereabouts of EgasKrad's score.   But don't worry, I think I'm done for this game. 

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:45:38 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Fun game!!!

The one in Mississippi is on the 2nd to last set (I think) of 4 trees on the right-hand side.

You need to hit the trees by stopping in the river and targeting them.
Then when the apostrophe appears, quickly get below it and catch it when it goes to fly off the bottom of the screen.

The way I figure out where the apostrophe is in that level is that you look for the line of three trees on the right side of the screen that line up in a slight downward slope.  Go further down to where the next set of trees is on the left and it's in the 3rd tree in that section.  I like the strategy to swoop below and grab the apostrophe as it falls down but I have stayed high and grabbed it before it falls.  I bet it's a bit riskier strategy but it worked for me!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:59:22 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Didn't have a lot of time this week.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:49:02 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

As i suspected, no chance to play today, so yesterday's game will have to do it.
(Also, had to ponder the diminishing returns of whether it was worth putting in more time to 1-up arnpoly, but since we're probably both locked into the top tier at this point, it probably isn't worth the time to get the point or two of difference )

Edited: 11/23/2014 at 07:49 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:27:57 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin
I did one more run to see if the TOOBIN' letters could be turned in twice and I can confirm it can only be turned in once for the million point bonus. I've been trying most of the day to find out, but I haven't had a good run until now. I apologize this being posted so late to the end .

It's been a fun week with a game I grew up with and it makes me feel good to be in contention once in a while too, I'd be lying if I denied that!

I'm unsure when I'll participate next. I'll be skipping Track & Field 2 this week since its going to be hectic here, Thanksgiving included. It's 50/50 if I'll participate with Bomberman, but I'll participate for sure with Dragon Spirit. Dragon Spirit, like Toobin', is a game I received over two decades ago with my first NES, so I want to be in on that one, even if it is my worst genre.

Anyway, great scores this week to everyone and I'll still be watching the scores until the end!

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:42:14 PM
Czar5 (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
Michigan
SCORE-606950

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:16:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I did one more run to see if the TOOBIN' letters could be turned in twice and I can confirm it can only be turned in once for the million point bonus. I've been trying most of the day to find out, but I haven't had a good run until now. I apologize this being posted so late to the end .

Well that definitely points to it being more beneficial to take the bonus then, depending on how far you think you will get.

Also looking forward to Dragon Spirit.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:42:45 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score: 2,145,250

Overall this wasn't that bad of a game. Still need it for the collection so I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually. I know I could do better but only got a little bit of time to play it this week. Impressive scores everyone!

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:46:37 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:42:39 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
TOOBIN' RESULTS :

1st - EgasKrad - 3,847,900 +11 points
2nd - arnpoly - 3,304,400 +10 points
3rd - arch 8ngel - 3,224,450 +9 points
4th - Vectrex280996 - 2,767,000 +8 points
5th - CLAYB1RD - 2,145,250 + 7 points
6th - BriGuy82 - 1,064,050 +6 points
7th - Caleb47 - 1,030,900 +5 points
8th - Czar5 - 606,950 +4 points
9th - JamesRobot - 446,300 +3 points
10th - Velinos - 386,950 +2 points

PARTICIPATION +1 point

BilltownSparty - 155,800

Thanks for participating in this week's contest!

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:43:32 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Leaderboards updated and sent to Guillavoie!

(also, caught an error from last week... Vectrex you have too many numbers behind your name )