Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Block posts that quote members on your foes list. (Please lock)

LOCKED TOPIC

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:39:20 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
There are a couple of people on NintendoAge that add absolutely nothing to the site, and are just 100% toxic. These are the people I block because their posts upset me to read, no matter who they're responding too as it just gets me angry that a person can be so obnoxious.

The big problem with the foe's system though is that I can still see these people's toxic posts whenever somebody inevitably quotes them to argue with them. For all the rude members of the community, I'd rather not be able to see their posts at ALL.

I would love it if the foes system also blocked posts that quote foed memebers so I don't have to see the stupid arguments that these people cause.

-------------------------
"Do Not Give Energy to the Life Core!"

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 05:54 PM by PekoponGB

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:40:42 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
This thread will get locked....

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:44:02 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Silverspoon

I don't see why it should. It's a genuine flaw with the foes system that should be fixed.

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 03:47 PM by PekoponGB

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:46:13 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: PekoponTAS

I don't see why it should. It's a genuine flaw with the foe's system that should be fixed.

I understand that, but this should have been a PM to an Admin.  The first post makes you sound like an ignorant asshole, even if you are a cool guy.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:54:52 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
I'm just being completely honest about it. Some people on the site do contribute nothing at all, and every post of theirs drives me nuts. Using the block system doesn't make me ignorant, it's supposed to make the forum more enjoyable.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:00:52 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
at that level it's more about you and your triggers than site functionality.

don't get me wrong, i've foed folks, but when i see something of theirs in a quote i think, "huh, looks like nothing's changed. moving on!"

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:01:24 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Why?

I don't see why it should. It's a genuine flaw with the foes system that should be fixed.

It would be tricky. Some posts quote multiple people and address each quoted part separately.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:09:21 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: zi

at that level it's more about you and your triggers than site functionality.

don't get me wrong, i've foed folks, but when i see something of theirs in a quote i think, "huh, looks like nothing's changed. moving on!"

Sure, but would it NOT be an improvement to not see them? Isn't the whole point of the foe system to not see the messages from these people? It's a little dismissive to say "get over it" and say it's my problem when the point of the system isn't doing its function properly.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:11:10 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
If the system doesn't work, let's get rid of it. Problem solved.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:19:16 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Not sure how feasible that is? That would be pretty handy though.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:20:45 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
You also get a delightful message from Sqoon if someone you foe'd quotes you directly.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:25:33 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Thank you! Just a little indication that it would be a nice feature is appreciated.  

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 04:25 PM by PekoponGB

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:31:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I think once a quote makes it into a non-foed person's post, it's (as far as the software's concerned) no longer considered the foe'd person's post. So I don't think this software can do that.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:39:05 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Dang.... I guess I don't know how the software works, but it would have been nice if it could have been fixed. : (

For future threads, I'd rather more useful posts like Capt and Tulpa's be more encouraged instead of the earlier replies such as "you sound like an asshole" and "not my problem, so get over it"

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 04:42 PM by PekoponGB

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:41:57 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I've been on a lot of forums over the years and I'm trying to remember if any had a feature where a quoted post was still treated as someone's unique post rather than just text and an indent/box.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:44:50 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Thank you! Just a little indication that it would be a nice feature is appreciated.  

Would you download a Chrome Extension that has this feature? I can build an "NA Foe" extension which lets you have a list of names and you'd never see any posts that even mention that user's name (as you've spelled it in your list).

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:48:34 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Why?

It would be tricky. Some posts quote multiple people and address each quoted part separately.

Someone quote my previous post so OP will see it  

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:48:59 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Gloves

Would you download a Chrome Extension that has this feature? I can build an "NA Foe" extension which lets you have a list of names and you'd never see any posts that even mention that user's name (as you've spelled it in your list).

That would be really nifty! I use Firefox at the moment, but seeing as how I mainly use the internet for just a handful of sites, I'd be happy to switch to chrome just to use that. What a cool idea!

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:50:29 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Somebody call the waaaambulance 😂

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51:54 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I've been on a lot of forums over the years and I'm trying to remember if any had a feature where a quoted post was still treated as someone's unique post rather than just text and an indent/box.
If it is showing up as "Originally posted by: username", then it is properly formatted within a quote box that I would have thought should be detectable by the forum software and able to be cross-referenced with the foe list.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51:55 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Who said that?

edit: Damn you, Arch.  

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 04:52 PM by Tulpa

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:53:06 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Gloves

That would be really nifty! I use Firefox at the moment, but seeing as how I mainly use the internet for just a handful of sites, I'd be happy to switch to chrome just to use that. What a cool idea!

I build Chrome extensions to solve the little problems I have personally with various websites, and I should be able to build this pretty easily so you can download it. I'd not use it myself, but I already have a base extension for use on NA anyway, so to extend it to have this function wouldn't be too tough. I'll work on it.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:54:35 PM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia

Thank you for the extremely worthwhile post. How dare I post a thread in the help forum asking for something to be fixed. I must be some sort of spoiled child or something using the site's functions for their actual purpose. Good thing you were here to tell me that I was wrong. I give you an extra point of "net cred" for that witty post of nothing.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:54:56 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

Dang.... I guess I don't know how the software works, but it would have been nice if it could have been fixed. : (

For future threads, I'd rather more useful posts like Capt and Tulpa's be more encouraged instead of the earlier replies such as "you sound like an asshole" and "not my problem, so get over it"

It's definitely possible, this forum is custom software and just about anything reasonable could be implemented. Unfortunately new feature requests or updates like these tend to get put off indefinitely.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:02:22 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Thank you for the extremely worthwhile post. How dare I post a thread in the help forum asking for something to be fixed. I must be some sort of spoiled child or something using the site's functions for their actual purpose. Good thing you were here to tell me that I was wrong. I give you an extra point of "net cred" for that witty post of nothing.

Yes!! 

Im curious how you know the members your talking about don’t contribute anything constructive. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.