Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Monthly Contest: October - Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Street Fighter II (CLOSED) Winners - GhostofSparta & Andy_Bogomil

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:52:40 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

If Guile doesn't tell me to go home and be a family man, I am consistently getting to Sagat now, but I am scoring low on the bosses.
And Sagat will be a completely different beast to beat. His tiger shots are a tough pill to swallow here with Zangief.

Made it to Vega with a few perfects on the way as I am starting to memorize the AI patterns with Zangief, but lost badly to him.
Tomorrow I will have my revenge against him.
I am always having my shapely butt handed to me by Guile, Honda or Blanka.
Honda is the worst. Zangief has no means to beat the hundred slap in this port. The strong sweep has a hit box that is much too small to even trade with it.
But I will figure something out.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 09:12 PM by Bea_Iank

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:35:32 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
Wow it's been a while since I played this, will give it a try with Guille, I played this non stop when my brother and I got our SNES for Christmas, I was able to beat it consistently at the highest difficulty (easy to do with Guille by turtling vs CPU).

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:40:36 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Ryu and Ken are great until you get to Vega, with Guile and Chun being quite easy to beat him due to range/high jump. With Ken/ryu it's tough though because the dragon punch doesn't knock him down unless he's in mid air and his jump+heavy kick is ridiculously OP. I don't remember their jumping animations lasting throughout the entire time they are airborn?? I feel like this changed in later installments.

Having Honda, Blanka, and Chun will also net you a few points extra from the bonus rounds due to their rapid moves.

All the enemies are insanely cheap in some form though. Sagat hit me with an uppercut when he was still in his fireball animation which takes an absurd amount of damage. I might try with Chun or Guile next if I don't have luck again with Ken/Ryu.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:07:17 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 10/14/2016 at 10:03 PM by mbd39

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:31:04 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Honda is the worst. Zangief has no means to beat the hundred slap in this port. The strong sweep has a hit box that is much too small to even trade with it.

I was thinking he could ducking PUNCH it, with a quick or mid.  I know a strong punch gets him hit.  But at least honda can't move forward while doing it   
If you're a bit away from it, pretty sure a body splash (Jump, D+HP) can break it too

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:41:29 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

I was thinking he could ducking PUNCH it, with a quick or mid.  I know a strong punch gets him hit.  But at least honda can't move forward while doing it   
If you're a bit away from it, pretty sure a body splash (Jump, D+HP) can break it too

With the body splash, the best I get is a loss trade, if that much.
I am being able to handle Honda with fierce sweeps and random throws now, at least.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:25:59 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Updated my score a bit.
Slowly getting the hang of this back. It had been well over 12 years since I last played this specific port of the game.
After I got Turbo, I never played it again.
With Super, I would still revisit Turbo once in a while because there were things I liked it better there.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:23:41 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Updated my score a bit.
Slowly getting the hang of this back. It had been well over 12 years since I last played this specific port of the game.
With Super, I would still revisit Turbo once in a while because there were things I liked it better there.

Back when I used to play the hell out of this game as a kid, I beat the game perfect on level 7 with every character except Zangief. I totally suck now. Either that or it's easier on a real SNES with a SNES controller rather than on PC with a PC gamepad.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:26:37 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

Updated my score a bit.

Back when I used to play the hell out of this game as a kid, I beat the game perfect on level 7 with every character except Zangief. I totally suck now. Either that or it's easier on a real SNES with a SNES controller rather than on PC with a PC gamepad.

The AI pattern on this one is pretty easy to memorize. I too have beaten it all perfects on level 7 with all characters (Zangief included, it was the first one I pulled it.  ).
But I am way too used to the newer, faster, more balanced games.
Luckily, we have a whole month to break down the AI to the point of no return. And to make matters even simpler, we are at default, level 3 difficulty.
This is going to be fun.  

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:31:00 AM
Abelardo (77)
Mexico
Most recent attempt:

Edited: 10/21/2016 at 11:13 AM by Abelardo

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:39:31 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Is mrs kai on NA? Dont be claiming her scores bro  
Lol just wait until you see her console and tv setup   

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:22:38 AM
Abelardo (77)
Mexico
2nd attempt, all the way to M Bison but got beat, final 4 are hard to get perfects, I was only able to do it once fighting barlog and nearly sagat, there's ample room for improvement.

Link to my most recent attempt:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 10/13/2016 at 05:46 PM by Abelardo

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:50:43 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Ugh vega is the most annoying in the game by far. That leaping strong kick pisses me off. I beat vega on my third highsst run but lost to sagat round 3. My highest scoring run i had quite a few perfects but vega got me round 3. Was keeping up even being patient. Time was running out because vega cheaply climbed the fence 3 times in a row so i couldnt do anything. Lost with single digit seconds left because i had to go for it to win since i was slightly behind.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:40:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Maybe the rules for Super Ghouls n Ghosts should be changed so that you play until your last life or until you lose your armor on your last life. Otherwise you don't get much time to take a picture.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:16:17 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

Ugh vega is the most annoying in the game by far. That leaping strong kick pisses me off. I beat vega on my third highsst run but lost to sagat round 3. My highest scoring run i had quite a few perfects but vega got me round 3. Was keeping up even being patient. Time was running out because vega cheaply climbed the fence 3 times in a row so i couldnt do anything. Lost with single digit seconds left because i had to go for it to win since i was slightly behind.
Who you using?  If Ryu\Ken, jab dragon punches and ducking mk -> fireballs are how I play that match.
If Chun-Li, I swear a lot.  Chun vs Vega is the fight where I can not remember how to fight him. He was one of my weaker foes so I praticed aginst him a lot, and got damned good aginst him, but damned if I can fight him now.  

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:28:18 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Who you using?  If Ryu\Ken, jab dragon punches and ducking mk -> fireballs are how I play that match.
If Chun-Li, I swear a lot.  Chun vs Vega is the fight where I can not remember how to fight him. He was one of my weaker foes so I praticed aginst him a lot, and got damned good aginst him, but damned if I can fight him now.  

I use chun li. Because I wont beat sagat any other way lol. Well, Im sure I can, just to get that far with another character to practice vs him isnt something I want to do. Probably will though since we still have a long time. I know how to fight vega with chun li, but sometimes vega doesnt ever do what you need him to do. And if you are too patient in later rounds , the asshole jumps on the fence and wastes time and keeps freaking doing it.

On my last run for today , I did get to Bison for my best score yet. Lost round 3 to him.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 03:32 PM by quest4nes

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:30:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Also, because this seemed unclear last month, make sure and submit your scores by the end of the month, NA time. Anything with a time stamp of November will not count

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:36:57 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Street Fighter II - 952,400

Super Ghouls & Ghost 36,600   Late Stage 2 (deep into the raft section)

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/31/2016 at 11:29 PM by quest4nes

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:40:14 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Wait did we change the rules back to single match loss? I thought we decided we were playing till continue(I.E. lost a match(2 rounds)) since the game adds a 1 to your score if you continue so that takes care of continuing. I re read the thread and that seemed to be the conclusion by you brock as well. Need to edit rules post to losing a match. Not single round

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 03:50 PM by quest4nes

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:34:07 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Man, you guys are getting really high scores. I don't know what I'm missing... pretty much consistently getting around 650,000-700,00. I got a double perfect on Balrog yesterday and just broke 700,000 which I felt was a pretty good run and my best score. Are you guys going to round 3 every time? More perfects I guess? I've been mainly using Ken, but have messed around with Chun and Blanka.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:34:41 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Pretty good score there, quest.  
Vega is definitely a pain on SF2 with that fierce strong jump kick of doom with impossible priority that lasts for the whole duration of the jump.
And Sagat would be so much easier on this port if you could duck under his high tiger shots, like you can on the arcade...

I will be home soon and will work on my score a bit more. I need to do justice to Zangief.  

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:51:14 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

Wait did we change the rules back to single match loss? I thought we decided we were playing till continue(I.E. lost a match(2 rounds)) since the game adds a 1 to your score if you continue so that takes care of continuing. I re read the thread and that seemed to be the conclusion by you brock as well. Need to edit rules post to losing a match. Not single round
It could be that I'm just confusing the terms.  I don't really play fighters so I don't know what the proper names are.

We are saying your game ends if you continue.  Is that losing a match?  That appears to be what I have in the rules.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 04:53 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:27:12 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Man, you guys are getting really high scores. I don't know what I'm missing... pretty much consistently getting around 650,000-700,00. I got a double perfect on Balrog yesterday and just broke 700,000 which I felt was a pretty good run and my best score. Are you guys going to round 3 every time? More perfects I guess? I've been mainly using Ken, but have messed around with Chun and Blanka.
I dont remember the exact count. I think I had 3-4 perfects in the first 7 normal fights. Might have been 1 more. I had double perfect vs balrog and got a perfect vs 1 round of vega. Not many round 3s. A couple of people I feel very good about getting perfects against so sometimes Ill take the round loss, to try to get a perfect round 3. Risky though. Sometimes you get screwed over and the comp decides they want to play like a champ round 3. I normally get 600-700 too. Just had 1 really good run through. 

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 05:33 PM by quest4nes

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:28:29 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
To the ones asking tactics for ChunLi vs. Vega or vs. Sagat

P = punch K = kick
S/M/W = strong, mid, weak
UDLR = up down left right
Also, always assuming you are on the left side of the screen, else invert R and L

Ironically, I had more troubles (i.e. a bigger slice of these 56 continues) vs. Guile and Blanka.

ChunLi vs. Vega

Ok, the guy IS annoying. Pause before the game. Breath. Barlog was slow, this guy is fast. Ready now?

You can grab the guy mid air, with R+SP but you need "air superiority". It is all about timing, jump LU then RU against the left border, the goal is to encounter him mid screen being on an higher position (to avoid is landing kick), grab him and trow him on the floor: pretty noticeable damage. He can grab you too, so make sure to be above him, and to trigger the move as soon as the distance allows it. It works, if done correctly.

When he climbs charge the helicopter move (D), then before he jumps, execute it (U+SK): it works wonderfully, it is all about timing. In facts, when he spams climbing, he does you a favor.

ChunLi vs. Sagat

D+SK from some distance works wonderfully. Be sure not to get too close!

When he spams fireballs, the trick is find teh timing to jump over his head behind his shoulders: he's ALWAYS answering with the TIGER UPPERCUT IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!: jump towards him (you are in right side now, so LU) grab him mid air from behind his shoulders (L+SP), and bam on the floor! Lots of perfects this way, if the level is only 3 stars.

I wish I had a USB SNES controller... I think I could have some decent game in this competition for once.

I'm definitely not a master of the game, I just played it so much when I was way younger, so I remember some tactics I used.  
ChulLi vs. Zangief perfect is explained few posts above.

ChunLi vs. Bison, ChunLi vs. Blanka, ChunLi vs. Guile

Couldn't find anything very reliable to always work. Yep, the three toughest ones, if you ask me. M.Bison by far the most difficult (Ruy and Ken and many others are so much better to defeat M.Bison). If anyone has ChunLi strategies for these opponents, please share!  

As always, just my two cents.  

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:29:02 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

It could be that I'm just confusing the terms.  I don't really play fighters so I don't know what the proper names are.

We are saying your game ends if you continue.  Is that losing a match?  That appears to be what I have in the rules.

ok . Your term, single match threw me off.  I was reading it as single round. 

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 05:29 PM by quest4nes