Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Pac-Man Contest ends Sunday, 4/10/16 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:29:55 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mbd39

Is this the most top heavy scoreboard ever? Bert's score is higher than the second through fifth place scores combined. I added them up and it's true.

I'm going to say no. The time we played Life Force in the 2013 tournament finals Tom (rdrunner) beat my second place score 8 million to 2 million. Then again he also held the world record at the time, so that's my excuse.

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:32:48 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Hhaahah shit I almost forgot about the pasta!

It might be a lot easier just to list what you do remember, if anything.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:33:30 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Hhaahah shit I almost forgot about the pasta!

It might be a lot easier just to list what you do remember, if anything.

It has pretty much all come back to me now, just needed a slight reminder hahaha

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:35:40 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

It has pretty much all come back to me now, just needed a slight reminder hahaha

I spent a Friday night involved in a page long discussion about Pac-Man pasta from 1984 with a guy from Canada on the internet. I have no words to make that sound even remotely normal.

Edited: 04/09/2016 at 04:12 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:57:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
This is one of those games where I play horribly 9 times out of 10, and occasionally get lucky. I don't know how to avoid getting trapped by ghosts all the time.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:13:51 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

This is one of those games where I play horribly 9 times out of 10, and occasionally get lucky. I don't know how to avoid getting trapped by ghosts all the time.

Ya, I've recognized the ghost pattern for like the first 20 seconds after that I give up and just go freestyle. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:16:57 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Try to beat them to the power pellet and wait for them to come to you. The corners can be really bad places to get stuck so try and clear those first before grabbing the power pellet.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:19:56 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Ya, I've recognized the ghost pattern for like the first 20 seconds after that I give up and just go freestyle. 

Mountain Dew Freestyle?

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:26:56 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Try to beat them to the power pellet and wait for them to come to you. The corners can be really bad places to get stuck so try and clear those first before grabbing the power pellet.

Yeah, I'm often getting stuck in corners.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:41:52 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

I spent a Friday night involved in a page long discussion about Pac-Man pasta from 1984 with a guy from Canada on the internet. I have no words to make that sound even remotely normal.

hahahhahhaha that is awesome

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:44:54 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

The whole thing sounds like something from an episode of Archer.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:00:12 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

The whole thing sounds like something from an episode of Archer.

I need to watch more of that show me and the lady watched the first 4 seasons, I think we left on when it goes to Miami or something.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:52:07 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
So I played this on the arcade... I did not know that after a certain level the power ups do not work. I am not sure if it is the same way on the console since I obviously do not have that high of a score.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:09:06 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Richard keeps beating my high score last minute and I want to kill him hahah

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:48:14 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

So I played this on the arcade... I did not know that after a certain level the power ups do not work. I am not sure if it is the same way on the console since I obviously do not have that high of a score.

The power pellets haven't stopped working, but after you get so far, you have about half a second to eat the closest ghost.  Not really enough time to get one unless you plan it very carefully.  Not really worth it either.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:48:58 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: bertsampson

The power pellets haven't stopped working, but after you get so far, you have about half a second to eat the closest ghost.  Not really enough time to get one unless you plan it very carefully.  Not really worth it either.

For the arcade version right? The ghosts do not even flash...

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:55:04 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington

Originally posted by: bertsampson

For the arcade version right? The ghosts do not even flash...

I was talking about the NES version.  Ms Pac man on NES does this though, kinda.  The power pellets change to just large pellets.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:00:50 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Mountain Dew Freestyle?

That's what I'm missing!  

hey Everybody check out what I got today  

ive got a few front loaders so I figured I'd check it out. 

photo 40EE543C-CEDD-430F-AE96-BAC99177D3A8.jpg

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 12:01 AM by skinnygrinny

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:02:47 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get the lil square 8bit style decal. Instead they gave me this bumper sticker style

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 12:03 AM by skinnygrinny

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:46:56 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Update.

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 12:37 PM by gutsman004

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:12:45 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

You're not the first person! Take a number😜

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:15:16 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

I've only got time for a few more runs tonight and maybe a couple tomorrow! Odds are that if you beat my score I won't be able to top you this week. That is a big IF though !

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:15:28 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
**********************************************************************************************
2016 WEEK 8 SANTA WEEKLY NEWS UPDATE!!! - PAC-MAN
**********************************************************************************************

After a refreshing Week 7 bye, the Nintendoage Weekly Contests are about to wrap up month #2 of competition.
Some new players have jumped on board this week and as always - there are plenty of stories to report on.
Take a look below for all your Pac-Man highlights!

*********************************************************************************************
OVERALL POINTS LEADER BERTSAMPSON LAYS WASTE TO ALL IN HIS PATH

Staggering points lead is good enough for 2nd place all time on world leader boards

For the 2016 season - juggernaut bertsampson has been dominant nearly every week of the contests. After 2 months of battle, can anyone hold a candle to him?

Heading into the bye last week top players bertsampson and skinnygrinny were head and shoulders above the rest in total points with bert in control of first place. If the scores in Pac-Man hold up, bert will be in a class by himself.
Bert's current score of 274,270 is good enough to place him as Twin Galaxies 2nd place all-time performer for Pac-Man on the NES ahead of the score of 140,490 posted by Mason P Cramer way back in 2010.
Not even contest mod bearcat-doug could outpace bert this week. Doug's posted score of 142,840 would have also been good enough to beat Cramer's mark set back in 2010, but it is still 130,000+ points shy of Sampson's collossal achievement.

To give a further example of bertsampson's dominace, the combined scores of the rest of the top 5 in the NA contest add up to 233,560. Still 40,000 points shy of bertsampson's score.
An incredible and historic feat to be sure.
Congrats to bertsampson.
Is it possible for anyone to topple his score before the week's end?
Could world record holder Ron Corcoran (858,480) make an NA contest appearance?

***********************************************************************************************
BIMMY POETRY SIGHTED - AND FANS OF HIS WORK ARE DELIGHTED!

Contest fans rejoice as bimmy poetry makes a rare appearance to kick off Pac-Man

Contest veterans and fans alike know that it's not everyday the contests are kicked off with the flavor and flare of contest mod bimmy_lee's brand of poetry.
Coined "bimmy poetry" - this playful and often informative game themed rhyme will start a new week once every blue moon.

Bimmy sometimes sprinkles in his signature poetry during the week, but getting things started with it is truly a rare treat.
Here are 2 cuts from previous contests.
See if you can guess which game bimmy was describing using only two lines of "bimmy poetry."
(answers will be posted at the end of the update!)

"It is a puzzle game with pieces blue, green, red and gray...
and you need to make them all go away."

"**OMITTED** is our game of the week...
And if you like skateboarding or surfing, this game you should seek."

Think you know which games he was describing?
Check out the bottom of the update to see if you were correct!

COLORADO RIVALRY GOES FULL "SOUTH PARK" THIS WEEK

Richardhead picks a fight with Canadian upstart to see who can gobble the most balls

With his crosstown rivals JamesRobot and SuperJimtendo content this week to sit at the back of the bus with middle fingers up - Richardhead was again itching for a fight.
He found one in the form of contest newcomer ToxieRules.
Toxie had just finished up Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2, took some time off of work and busted out some weird Canadien brews to get settled to take on Pac-Man
when the man from Colorado without locks on his front door called him out for a challange.

In between  beer and pasta discussions, Toxie bested Richardhead's score and the two have traded places all week as they have climbed into scoring positions.
All the while Richard was "cheered on" by his hometown rivals with penis insults and general disdain for Pac-Man all week.
Perhaps it was JameRobot and SuperJimtendo who influenced the cheerful artwork of Krunch this week -  who depicted Pac-Man being sacrificed to an evil diety by Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Sue.

Although no crimes were reported this week in the rivalry, SuperJimtendo has claimed that he has a "souvenir" from Richardhead's abode and has yet to reveal what it is.
It's Colorado vs. Canada. Trey Parker and Matt Stone might want to pay attention.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MBD39!!

Fierce contest competitor's birthday is today - April 10th

We here at the contests would like to wish mbd39 a Happy Birthday! He's been a great competitor this year and has grinded his way into scoring position a few times.
Hope you have a great day today and good luck the rest of this year.

***********************************************************************************************
NEW PARTICIPANTS

Players that have posted valid scores this week that still need a "Contest Participant Icon"

In an effort to help the mods dole out participant badges, we list those that have submitted a valid score here in the newcomers section.

To be knighted with the Contest Badge this week...

- BingoRingo:   46,770
- Seppatoni:    39,370
- Dmusic88:     23,830
- Liminy:         22,910

...also in need of a badge from previous week

- Double0seven

*********************************************************************************************

That'll do it for the update this week.
Is there anyone who can stand against NES giant bertsampson  - or will he continue to destroy the competition?
Will Richardhead get back-up from his crosstown rivals in his fight against northern neighbor ToxieRules?
When will the next bimmy poetry make it's mysterious appearance?

Keep tuning in to the contest to find out!

--Answers to "bimmy poetry" clues--

#1 Puzznic  (June, 2014)

#2 T & C Surf Designs  (August, 2014)

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 02:25 AM by Commander Santa

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:16:59 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Nice work Santa! Awesome.

Happy birthday mbd39

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:15:12 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

NEW PARTICIPANTS

Players that have posted valid scores this week that still need a "Contest Participant Icon"

In an effort to help the mods dole out participant badges, we list those that have submitted a valid score here in the newcomers section.

To be knighted with the Contest Badge this week...

- BingoRingo:   46,770
- Seppatoni:    39,370
- Dmusic88:     23,830
- Liminy:         22,910

Thanks for keeping track of the players that need the contest participant icon. I've been trying to get these added for all of the new players at the end of each contest, so hopefully all of these guys will have their icons shortly.