Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Possible to "Jailbreak" the AVS??? Analogue NT to play ROMs for other systems...

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:03:41 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Kevtris

Originally posted by: spoonman

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Possible, but not likely. GB/GBC is the only one I really thought about but too many other NES projects come first.
I'd be very happy with this!  

Keeping it a Nintendo system also makes sense. That would be a great thing though. I would love to pllay games like Shantae and Super Mario Land on my large display in HD without resorting to emulation. As I get older I am realizing the benefits of a nice large HD display to game on, especially with something like Game Boy and GBC games. 

I released the GB/GBC core last week and Atari 2600 yesterday, so you can play all three of those systems now in full HD at 60fps at 1080p.
Thanks Kevin, but I was replying to Brian's comment about possibly adding GB/GBC support to the AVS.

The Nt Mini looks nice too, but I'm pretty happy with the AVS so far. Once I get a fully working cartridge connector replacement and a way to stabilize USB mini jack I'll be very happy with it.  

The Zimba 3000 system does sound nice though. Is there any ETA on it yet?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:20:47 PM
John198X (0)
(John -) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Thanks Kevin, but I was replying to Brian's comment about possibly adding GB/GBC support to the AVS.

The Nt Mini looks nice too, but I'm pretty happy with the AVS so far. Once I get a fully working cartridge connector replacement and a way to stabilize USB mini jack I'll be very happy with it.  

This thread was started about 1.5 years ago at AtariAge, and there are frequent updates on the progress of the Zimba 3000: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

Ugh... after some thought, as cool as the jailbroken NT Mini seems, I'm not super interested in pre-Famicom consoles and already have an AVS, so I'd mostly be buying they thing to play Master System games (and possibly a bit of Game Boy & Game Gear)...
I don't think I can justify the $$$ to myself... adding PC Engine / Turbo (even just HuCard games) would do it for me, but if I understand correctly, the NT isn't quite capable (or there just aren't any plans for it).

... but I will keep watching for any Z3k news!

-------------------------
1,000 game challenge 10/22/16 - 03/23/19
532 Games Beaten * 
nes-308 * sms-42
tgx-17 gen-29 snes-43 * ps-22
ps2-4 * gb-55 * gbc-12

Edited: 03/06/2017 at 01:21 PM by John198X

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:52:26 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: John198X

This thread was started about 1.5 years ago at AtariAge, and there are frequent updates on the progress of the Zimba 3000: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame...

Ugh... after some thought, as cool as the jailbroken NT Mini seems, I'm not super interested in pre-Famicom consoles and already have an AVS, so I'd mostly be buying they thing to play Master System games (and possibly a bit of Game Boy & Game Gear)...
I don't think I can justify the $$$ to myself... adding PC Engine / Turbo (even just HuCard games) would do it for me, but if I understand correctly, the NT isn't quite capable (or there just aren't any plans for it).

... but I will keep watching for any Z3k news!

It's already incredibly tempting for the amount of consoles that it is compatible with.  If he pulled off TG16/PCE even at 720p, that would be really tempting to pick up.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:58:31 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Possible, but not likely. GB/GBC is the only one I really thought about but too many other NES projects come first.
Just curious, if a GB/GBC core were added to the AVS how woule one load a rom? 
Is there some spare memory storage available on the FPGA board, or could they be loaded via a flashcart such as the Everdrive N8 or PowerPak?

I think it would be a popular addition to the AVS.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:42:53 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Just curious, if a GB/GBC core were added to the AVS how woule one load a rom? 
Is there some spare memory storage available on the FPGA board, or could they be loaded via a flashcart such as the Everdrive N8 or PowerPak?

I think it would be a popular addition to the AVS.

If the AVS's only upgrade was Game Boy support, I would be totally OK with that. I still play a lot of games on the GB, but usually have to resort to the SNES with Super Game Boy (great quality through RGB, but it would still look nicer through the AVS). The more things I can do on a single console without losing accuracy, the better.

| gameplay and talk |