Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Mega Man Contest ends Sunday, 11/24/13 at 10 PM NA time

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:48:08 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

The WINNER will be chosen by random with Random number generator... ALL you have to do to enter the contest is,,,,well,,, enter THIS weekly contest and you are in! So tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell your enemies (so you can beat the crap outta them in the contest and make them sad).

Of all the weeks to not have the cart needed for the competition...  You guys sure this isn't for Mega Man 2?!?  3?!?

That's a great prize!  Good luck to everyone.

-------------------------
Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:27:56 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Lance

Yea, I would think going back and getting energy for the magnet beam would be acceptable, becasue there's no other way to refill your weapons unless you use a continue.

I disagree and wouldn't play thinking that way unless bimmy rules otherwise. My best guess....you run out of magnet beam energy....your run is over.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 04:31 PM by gutsman004

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:13:02 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I won't allow going back for health and weapon energy pellets that are placed throughout the levels, but it is okay to farm for them by fighting enemies. The only downside is that you will run your score up a little bit.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:14:32 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I won't allow going back for health and weapon energy pellets that are placed throughout the levels, but it is okay to farm for them by fighting enemies. The only downside is that you will run your score up a little bit.

I'm okay with that.  I still will choose not to farm but it's ok as long as going back for items is forbidden.  If I remember right, from a practice run I had a couple weeks ago, in the 2nd Wily stage there is an extra life glitch if you die against the clone, the place you restart is where the extra life is in the level and it keeps generating itself if you lose a life, so it's basically an extra life loop.  I was going to ask about that, but you answered my question

Also, is there a minimum or maximum for how many lives you can use/collect?  This game isn't as bad as the sequels, but it still gives out random extras from enemies time to time.  Also, I've only been using the lives I start with, so I'm just checking everything.

I'll be posting a score sometime tonight, that is if I can stop screwing up when I die!  My first run I died at Elec Man in Wily 2 but I forgot to take a picture when I was fighting him.  My second run I actually beat the clone (it's always been my Achillies heel but I found a sure-FIRE weapon to beat him, pun intended), but then I choked and l died for the first time in years to that bubble man wannabe and didn't have the camera ready!  I still take pictures after I beat each RM/boss then at the beginning of each level to show score consistency, just in case, but still I want a pic before I die, so here's hoping for that.

Also, congrats Doug on being the first to beat the game this week.  Since I can get past the clone easier now, I'm hoping to join you soon.  We'll see!

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:09:40 PM
Notrevania (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Scotland
Originally posted by: EgasKrad
My second run I actually beat the clone (it's always been my Achillies heel but I found a sure-FIRE weapon to beat him, pun intended)

Haha I discovered that this week by accident, I always used to chance it with the mega buster.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:22:39 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin
Update: 11/20/13
1,040,700 - Game Completed

Woo hoo!!  This may be it now...

Also, still, damn you Guts Man

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 10:29 PM by EgasKrad

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:44:44 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

908,600 - Wily Stage 4: Guts Man

That's where my no additional lives, no energy farming from enemies run ended.  I've only beat this game once without using the select/pause cheat and my goal now is to do a second time before the end of the week.  I may give in and farm a little from enemies before the end of this, but we'll see.  I'm happy with this run as is and will keep playing. 

Damn you Guts Man

Can't make it easy on you.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:33:44 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Also, congrats Doug on being the first to beat the game this week.  Since I can get past the clone easier now, I'm hoping to join you soon.  We'll see!
Thanks! I've had a little over 25 years of practice though, so I figured that I should still be able to beat it on the first try. Now I just have to see if I can cut down that score some.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:11:33 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I did a couple practice runs that didn't go so well. By the time I put it all together, I was able to make it to the yellow devil in one run. I was pretty happy with that. I don't see myself beating this game before the weeks up, but I think I can get a bit deeper.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:58:09 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I came so close to getting under a million. I got some favorably low robot master bonuses, but if I had played a little better I should've been able to get a score in the 990k range.

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 11:59 AM by bearcat-doug

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:19:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I came so close to getting under a million. I got some favorably low robot master bonuses, but if I had played a little better I should've been able to get a score in the 990k range.

Yeah... What the game seems to like to do is give you 2-3 low rolls followed by 2-3 high rolls.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:36:14 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Yeah... What the game seems to like to do is give you 2-3 low rolls followed by 2-3 high rolls.
I got three 50k, one 70k, 80k and 90k. That comes out to an average of 65k each, so I can't see doing much better as far as the bonuses go.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:16:32 PM
ProtoScott (26)
(Mr. SpaceBeard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Man I have not played this game in forever, but I am getting better. I can now consistently make it to the first Wily stage without dying, but I always start to make dumb mistakes at that point. So far my best is making it to the last Wily level, but I refuse to post until I actually finish the game. Why couldn't it have been Mega Man 3? I can no death that with one hand tied behind my back.

Hey you!! Got some Mega Man games??? Wanna sell 'em???

Well Click here ----> http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it isn't checked off PM me!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:32:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ProtoScott

Man I have not played this game in forever, but I am getting better. I can now consistently make it to the first Wily stage without dying, but I always start to make dumb mistakes at that point. So far my best is making it to the last Wily level, but I refuse to post until I actually finish the game. Why couldn't it have been Mega Man 3? I can no death that with one hand tied behind my back.

Because it doesn't keep score.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:35:00 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
ok
its been a LONG time since i played MM1
i am a MM2 and 3 master, but 1 i am not the best at...

finally got start this contest now...ive been looking forward to this one for a while

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:33:44 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin
Update: 1,040,700 - Game Completed

I couldn't touch Doug's score, but I got my completed game in. Out of all the games I've played, the Mega Man Classic series has always been my strongest from a skill perspective so if there was a week I'd beat a game, it was this week.

I've beat every game in this series too many times to count and know the games by heart.  This one was easily the most difficult and beat it the least amount of times (though the first time I played it was over 20 years ago)  but now it's not so bad, like in this last run I either no hit or got only hit once in three of the levels.

I'm going to try to shave off some points by the end of the week though I doubt I'll be able to match this, but either way, it feels pretty damn good right now to type "game completed".

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 10:38 PM by EgasKrad

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:11:10 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Lance

Yea, I would think going back and getting energy for the magnet beam would be acceptable, becasue there's no other way to refill your weapons unless you use a continue.

Would a last 15 seconds of gameplay be acceptable for judging, or should I post the whole video here?

If so, here is the video of the point where I died: http://tinypic.com/r/20fukv7/5

What you have is good, Lance.  No need for the whole video unless you want to show off your skills   Your score counts, btw.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:16:22 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I'm okay with that.  I still will choose not to farm but it's ok as long as going back for items is forbidden.  If I remember right, from a practice run I had a couple weeks ago, in the 2nd Wily stage there is an extra life glitch if you die against the clone, the place you restart is where the extra life is in the level and it keeps generating itself if you lose a life, so it's basically an extra life loop.  I was going to ask about that, but you answered my question

Also, is there a minimum or maximum for how many lives you can use/collect?  This game isn't as bad as the sequels, but it still gives out random extras from enemies time to time.  Also, I've only been using the lives I start with, so I'm just checking everything.

I'll be posting a score sometime tonight, that is if I can stop screwing up when I die!  My first run I died at Elec Man in Wily 2 but I forgot to take a picture when I was fighting him.  My second run I actually beat the clone (it's always been my Achillies heel but I found a sure-FIRE weapon to beat him, pun intended), but then I choked and l died for the first time in years to that bubble man wannabe and didn't have the camera ready!  I still take pictures after I beat each RM/boss then at the beginning of each level to show score consistency, just in case, but still I want a pic before I die, so here's hoping for that.

Whatever items you get from enemies are fair game, from health pellets to energy pellets to extra lives.  The only caveat is that you will run your score up, which is something you want to try to avoid as much as possible this week since lower scores take precedence when people get to the same point in the game.  You can get as many extra lives from enemies as you want, you just run the risk of running up your score.  That's what makes this contest interesting and fun.  You can make things easy on yourself by killing enemies for health, weapon refills, and extra lives, but you will run up your score doing so, or, you can avoid everything and try to keep your score low.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:51:49 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I couldn't touch Doug's score, but I got my completed game in.
You aren't too far off. I'm not sure what stage clearing bonuses you got during that run, but you could possibly make up the difference with just one favorable roll. I'll probably give it at least one more shot before the end of the week to see if I can get under a million, but with those bonuses being random, it's going to be tough.

Edited: 11/21/2013 at 11:05 AM by bearcat-doug

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:43:04 PM
Forte (109)
(God of Destruction) < Kraid Killer >
South Carolina
oh I am DEFINITELY tackling this one this weekend

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:52:37 PM
EgasKrad (17)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I couldn't touch Doug's score, but I got my completed game in.
You aren't too far off. I'm not sure what stage clearing bonuses you got during that run, but you could possibly make up the difference with just one favorable roll. I'll probably give it at least one more shot before the end of the week to see if I can get under a million, but with those bonuses being random, it's going to be tough.

I did pretty well when it came to bonuses (2 x 50K, 2 x 60K, 70K and 90K) and because of that I ended up taking another extra life though I wanted to do this on what I started with, but that had nothing to do with the score of course.  I think where I really screwed up on was I decided to tackle the gauntlet before Wily with partial energy when I still had a couple lives left.  Each RM is worth 10K there and I believe I got to Guts Man before dying, so I ate too many extra points.  In hindsight I should have just died at Bomb Man since that's where I would have started anyway.  Still, I like this score and it's going to be tough for me to match my bonus average again (under 64K).

Edited: 11/21/2013 at 01:53 PM by EgasKrad

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:04:00 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I did pretty well when it came to bonuses (2 x 50K, 2 x 60K, 70K and 90K) and because of that I ended up taking another extra life though I wanted to do this on what I started with, but that had nothing to do with the score of course.  I think where I really screwed up on was I decided to tackle the gauntlet before Wily with partial energy when I still had a couple lives left.  Each RM is worth 10K there and I believe I got to Guts Man before dying, so I ate too many extra points.  In hindsight I should have just died at Bomb Man since that's where I would have started anyway.  Still, I like this score and it's going to be tough for me to match my bonus average again (under 64K).

My bonus average came out to 65k, so I'm not sure how much lower I could have gotten my score. I picked up a few of those 1000 bonus point pellets by accident, but that's all I can really think of that I did wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something though.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:44:48 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Forte

oh I am DEFINITELY tackling this one this weekend

Good to see you here man! You should make it a regular thing. We're always looking for more players!

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:15:36 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
first attempt

Wily Level 2 - this is right after i defeated Cutsman Clone

I am now determined to beat this game...

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:20:17 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
i also JUST got the new zelda game...so....um...yeah...