Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Game Hack Final Fantasy VII Advent Children NES Patch Released Possibility of a Cart Release?

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:00:36 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: marvelus10

Originally posted by: Faltain1

There's already a Chinese CIB release of this out there apparently...?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/11/lets-unbox-the-final-fa...

Where do you think they got the ROM to translate in the first place?
Mars...?

-------------------------
To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:01:34 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Moral high ground has nothing to do with it. Hypocrisy is it plain and simple. The old quote and I have no idea who said it first: 'Never shit in your own back yard' pretty much covers it. You can pretend it's ok to screw with another regions games and pass them off looking right or right enough, and that's fine because you're only wrecking the value of those games in their area, but when you do it to a game in your area then the torches and rope come out. It's not right, but it is what it is.

That said the guys work looks good, and there is a minor variation to the seal to show it's not totally legitimate, it's just that guys choice of label versus using a nuclear sign, a timewalk or retrousb logo or whatnot, but in the end anyone not in tune with what a repro is still will think those are real too and they're getting just as equally burned and odds are they may never even notice nor care if it plays right and they get their money out of it. If that guy were using legit boards like retrousb does I'd probably buy that Samson off him as it's a solid game, but I'll never fork over $500 for it, even in traded goods as I could use that much for a new laptop, tablet, some equipment or something of real use.

Then again, same thing could be said about the powerpack, SD2SNES etc, which is basically a gateway for rom piracy.
I would be 80% of people who own them run roms of games they dont legitimately own. If not more.

Again, I just got a little defensive when someone said I should punch myself in the face for recommending a guy who has been known to do repros of US-Released games. He does good work, and has great customer service. Thats all that matters in my mind.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:01:19 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I don't blame you for getting defensive. He's not doing anything worse than anyone else offering up bootlegs "reproductions" on this site or on their own personal pages. There's no gray area to the legality to any of it, but it's all about hypocrisy of it being ok to screw other parts of the world making copies, but not our own where it could potentially affect the value or likely just make it harder to get a legit game.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:06:01 PM
SavePointVG (351)
(Wilder Hamm) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Ive been researching this myself to try to cram it onto some NES carts, but Im fearful it would be too large for 1 cart...and there would be no way to transfer items etc. I think it can be done!

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:48:31 PM
Chilant (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Crack Trooper >
United States
The answer is dip switches on the cartridge.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:41:32 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Theres a huge difference between, making a copy of Stadium Events and making a copy of a translated game that was never released in English.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:50:13 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

Theres a huge difference between, making a copy of Stadium Events and making a copy of a translated game that was never released in English.

I thnk thats a straw-man argument, but you are entitled to your opinion. I love being able to play never released in the states games, and am a huge supporter of repros.

Also, it's about as moral as flash drive carts, which allow you to play pirated roms, which we know is what pretty much everyone who has a flash cart is doing.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 07:52 PM by Oddzball

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:12:01 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: SavePointVG

Ive been researching this myself to try to cram it onto some NES carts, but Im fearful it would be too large for 1 cart...and there would be no way to transfer items etc. I think it can be done!

There were multiple discs. Why not multiple carts!? FFVII shouldn't be any other way!!

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:19:56 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Well if someone knows how to flash the original board and it works, I could figure out something to make it a US release and do a small NA CIB release. It would just cost a lot to start it up, just like Mother 3 did.

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:40:30 PM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
If someone does make it and makes money, I hope they provide a donation to RHDN. Anyway, I spoke to InfiniteNESLives about the mapper board, no dice as he's busy on other projects.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:39:02 PM
marvelus10 (46)

British Columbia
Originally posted by: Oddzball

I thnk thats a straw-man argument, but you are entitled to your opinion. I love being able to play never released in the states games, and am a huge supporter of repros.

Also, it's about as moral as flash drive carts, which allow you to play pirated roms, which we know is what pretty much everyone who has a flash cart is doing.
It's not about playing a game, its about flooding the market with fake copies of some of the rarest games a collector could get. Unsuspecting buyers fall for these fakes only to be told after its too late they just wasted their hard earned money on a fake, determined collectors have to scrutinize every available copy to ensure they are not being scammed out of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:53:52 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

Originally posted by: Oddzball

It's not about playing a game, its about flooding the market with fake copies of some of the rarest games a collector could get. Unsuspecting buyers fall for these fakes only to be told after its too late they just wasted their hard earned money on a fake, determined collectors have to scrutinize every available copy to ensure they are not being scammed out of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

What can you do though? Even at this point I pull every game I buy apart to check it.  Is it the repro makers fault if say someone buys an obviously labeled repro and mis represents it or changes the label?

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:20:20 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Annnddd the morality issue is brought up. Can I pls have FFVII on my NES and not have to listen to a debate meant for copyright lawyers?

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:14:38 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Annnddd the morality issue is brought up. Can I pls have FFVII on my NES and not have to listen to a debate meant for copyright lawyers?

agreed. Its lile they just have to ruin this for the ff7 fans.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:23:57 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
True enough this is about FF7, and copyrights or not the argument is common sense that's conveniently ignored, but another thread could be made for that though it probably would just get locked anyway.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:40:34 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Paul

Pretty sure that side of the discussion had less to do with FF7 or the translation/hack of a pirate and much more to do with the specific repro-supplier that was mentioned who, evidently, makes bootlegs of existing high dollar NTSC games.

Nobody really cares about pirating a pirate cart...

Edited: 11/20/2013 at 02:44 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:16:54 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Sweet, I have that cart.. I'll have to give it a try. I wonder if it's worth making a cart out of

GRRR!

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:06:39 PM
marvelus10 (46)

British Columbia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Pretty sure that side of the discussion had less to do with FF7 or the translation/hack of a pirate and much more to do with the specific repro-supplier that was mentioned who, evidently, makes bootlegs of existing high dollar NTSC games.

Nobody really cares about pirating a pirate cart...

Yes, thank you.

Sorry to derail this thread. I should know better.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:20:16 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
I tried the almost complete version (for a little bit)a year or more ago. Glad to see it finally got finished.

Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:00:46 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
I've downloaded the patch but seem to be unable to locate the original rom online.

Can someone in the know PM me about where to find the original rom? Or PM with where I could find the patched rom as well I'm not so knowledgeable about patching roms.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:29:33 AM
Moothead2 (2)

(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United Kingdom

I've downloaded the patch but seem to be unable to locate the original rom online.

Can someone in the know PM me about where to find the original rom? Or PM with where I could find the patched rom as well I'm not so knowledgeable about patching roms.

Thanks.
Just Google 'Final Fantasy VII Chinese' and it should be easy to find .

Been watching this project for ages now and it's great to see it finally done. Are there any PSP emulators that support Mapper 163? Would quite like to have this on the go .

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:17:40 PM
Lugia2009 (0)
(Nintendo Rulz!) < Tourian Tourist >
New Jersey
NesterP works great with the game.

Enjoy Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia mods!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7Z1YGQQul86jnYZzBh5fw/videos

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:51:58 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Lugia2009

The man himself! Thanks for all of your hard work, what a gigantic project to take on.Simply amazing. Are you plannng on any future revisions, or are you moving onto other projects? Thanks again!

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:27:20 AM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States

Originally posted by: SavePointVG

There were multiple discs. Why not multiple carts!? FFVII shouldn't be any other way!!

There's a funny thing about the FF7 disks for the PS1.  The only thing different from each disk is the FMVs (which chew up most of the space) and the header that tells the game what FMV to play and when.  The entire game is located across all three disks, so if you were to delete the FMV jumping, you could play the game, from start to finish, on just one disk.

Also, I was thinking that FF7 could be hacked to use MMC5 instead of this proprietary board, only because MMC5 is actually large enough to hold this game.

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 11/22/2013 at 12:28 AM by Luigi_Master

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:48:43 PM
Lugia2009 (0)
(Nintendo Rulz!) < Tourian Tourist >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Originally posted by: Lugia2009

The man himself! Thanks for all of your hard work, what a gigantic project to take on.Simply amazing. Are you plannng on any future revisions, or are you moving onto other projects? Thanks again!

Thank you I think the project is at it's end, as far as I know all bugs have been fixed. I'm not sure if you saw, but I released a version 1.1 of the game.  Dizzy9 went into the game and fixed the compatibility issue with Nestopia and also added damage sprites to the game's battle system, and I redid item descriptions along with fixing an issue I found with 7 of the optional bosses.

Now I'm working on translating and improving Pokemon Yellow for the NES.  I started a while back, and I'm pretty far into it so far.
Here's a few comparison screens:

And along with that, I'm working with Dizzy9 to improve and translate Resident Evil for the NES.

Enjoy Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia mods!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7Z1YGQQul86jnYZzBh5fw/videos

Edited: 11/22/2013 at 09:49 PM by Lugia2009