Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Lag Fix Patch in AVS Future? nes classic run better over hdmi (lag wise)

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:23:52 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Just picked up a vaus controller. I'm gonna play arkanoid on my AVS until I lag in my pants.
Lag life 

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:27:12 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Yeah, this has been a thing since the Xbox 360 and PS3 rolled out over a decade ago. Go on any A/V forum's gaming section and you'll find hundreds of threads about TV lag and which ones minimize that.
I only know this now because of the issues I had with the avs. I had a PS3 never noticed any lag. I just didn't think to look up information like this before I bought the avs because it didn't cross my mind that it would be an issue. And why would it? 

Weird. Every gamer I've ever known who has a modern HDMI console has brought up lag issues and discussions about TVs that have less lag. It's why plasma TVs were popular among gamers back in the early HDMI days (they tended to have less lag than LCDs across the board, until LCDs started catching up.)

I don't doubt you might have missed those discussions, but it has been making the rounds on many forums I've frequented for the last ten years or so.

I never played much PS3/Xbox 360 (ten years ago those came out?) maybe that's why I missed it. I certainly never researched lag issues. I played my ps2 on a crt. 

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:28:20 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I never played much PS3/Xbox 360 (ten years ago those came out?)
Yep. We are old.  

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:43:27 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I never played much PS3/Xbox 360 (ten years ago those came out?)
Yep. We are old.  
Lol. True. 

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:16:30 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: AaronE

Sorry you didn't realize all modern game systems can have lag due to the tv introducing it and doing post processing. This is why many non-shit TVs have modes specific for gaming to reduce that.

It's not something inherent to the AVS and it's not something that is new or not well known. News to you I guess?

Hey now, my shit TV doesn't offer a "game mode" and provides not noticeable lag when being played.  No need to shit talk the shit TVs as not all shit TVs are actually shitty.   

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Yeah, this has been a thing since the Xbox 360 and PS3 rolled out over a decade ago. Go on any A/V forum's gaming section and you'll find hundreds of threads about TV lag and which ones minimize that.

Actually, it was earlier than that.  Guitar Hero (and perhaps some other, earlier games, I got rid of my of my PS2 titles so I can no longer check) had warnings about how HDTVs might lag and how to get around that.  I know that showed up on the PS2 versions and can only imagine that it would have also been included as warnings on the other systems of the era as well.  Hard to imagine folks not realizing/understanding that lag is/was a thing.  I can see not experiencing it for a long while (I only first experienced noticeable lag when I got my current HDTV), but not knowing it was a thing?  That's some head in the sand stuff right thre.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:28:13 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

My TV is also a cheaper model, but it works very well. It's not necessarily the price of the TV, just different models will process the picture differently. It all depends on what you need it for.

And yeah, I remember guitar hero being an issue, that's the main reason I stuck it out with my CRT rather than upgrading.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:45:03 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Bert

My TV is also a cheaper model, but it works very well. It's not necessarily the price of the TV, just different models will process the picture differently. It all depends on what you need it for. And yeah, I remember guitar hero being an issue, that's the main reason I stuck it out with my CRT rather than upgrading.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I don't think there will be many outside of maybe me and some folks I know IRL that will step up to say that "RCA" isn't a shit TV brand, lol.  That's who made my current 40-whatever" HDTV and, beyond all expectations, it's performed fantastically.  They say you can't polish a turd, so I think mine just happened to come that way in this instance, lol.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:02:10 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: Bert

My TV is also a cheaper model, but it works very well. It's not necessarily the price of the TV, just different models will process the picture differently. It all depends on what you need it for. And yeah, I remember guitar hero being an issue, that's the main reason I stuck it out with my CRT rather than upgrading.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I don't think there will be many outside of maybe me and some folks I know IRL that will step up to say that "RCA" isn't a shit TV brand, lol.  That's who made my current 40-whatever" HDTV and, beyond all expectations, it's performed fantastically.  They say you can't polish a turd, so I think mine just happened to come that way in this instance, lol.

when I worked at Walmart that was the most common TV to be returned  you must be lucky. Mine is Emerson, the second cheapest just above RCA. Works like a champ

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:11:55 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

I only know this now because of the issues I had with the avs. I had a PS3 never noticed any lag. I just didn't think to look up information like this before I bought the avs because it didn't cross my mind that it would be an issue. And why would it? 

Download one of the free pinball games on PS3; you'll notice lag if you don't have "game mode" turned on.

What's odd is I didn't have any lag issues on my RCA DLP, but I did on this Sanyo until I turned that mode on.

I realize I could have messed with settings to minimize lag on the AVS, and it only really affected me on MTPO, but I just ended up selling it around Christmastime last year.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:12:08 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Guitar Hero III on PS2, Wii, and Xbox 360 (all analog-only consoles at the time) had the calibration option specifically because display lag was a thing.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:51:43 PM
deleteme (0)
(delete me) < Tourian Tourist >
United States

I got no beef with the actual system. It's great. I understand it's my tv that lags. My beef is I should have been informed, no matter how ignorant or stupid I might seem, that the avs does not preform equally on all tv's. 

Like a huge sign hitting me in the face multiple times. "Hey mcfly, this things not plug and play lag free". 

since it is the TV that is adding the lag, why didnt the tv seller inform you?  how is it the job of avs to tell you when it isnt their fault.  tv makers purposely HIDE their processing stats so people will keep buying the shitty ones

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:36:43 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: deleteme

I got no beef with the actual system. It's great. I understand it's my tv that lags. My beef is I should have been informed, no matter how ignorant or stupid I might seem, that the avs does not preform equally on all tv's. 

Like a huge sign hitting me in the face multiple times. "Hey mcfly, this things not plug and play lag free". 

since it is the TV that is adding the lag, why didnt the tv seller inform you?  how is it the job of avs to tell you when it isnt their fault.  tv makers purposely HIDE their processing stats so people will keep buying the shitty ones

I don't need an avs to watch tv. 

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:54:27 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
This has been an interesting read so far.

I have found websites like displaylag.com to be helpful when looking into tvs that I game on. You can check the database to see the input lag of numerous brands and models. Thankfully not all cheap TV's are bad but it seems spending a bit more gets a better result.

I cannot wait for the day the can just make a computer monitor the size of a tv. I would drop some money on an 65" ips, gsync, panel with a high refresh rate.