Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"You pay the paypal fees"

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21:53 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I hate when people are not upfront about gift payments and I don't like receiving gift payments either. It's a tax deduction for me and a cost of doing business. It makes it harder to ship and if used on a purchase it could make the funds non deductible on a tax standpoint

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:36:07 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Zing

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

MY PERSONAL OPINION- Wholeheartedly agree with dra600n; it just makes the seller look like a horrible cheapass to say "gift or add x%". Build it into your fucking price ahead of time.

If you always insist on paying non-gift, why not just mentally add 4% to the price? Why make everyone pay the higher amount?

Why should I, the buyer, pay the SELLER's convenience fee for them? 

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:58:13 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

MY PERSONAL OPINION- Wholeheartedly agree with dra600n; it just makes the seller look like a horrible cheapass to say "gift or add x%". Build it into your fucking price ahead of time.

If you always insist on paying non-gift, why not just mentally add 4% to the price? Why make everyone pay the higher amount?

All I get from this is that you're cheap. Why should I, or anyone else, have to pay YOUR fees? When I sell my homebrews on my website, I charge $37.50. That's shipped. World wide. I get hit with paypal fees and shipping. Do you think if I asked my customers to gift me the $$, or charged them the fees and additional shipping, that I'd have repeat customers? Hell no.

Originally posted by: Paul

Thanks for all the opinions and discussion guys.

We are working now to revise the FAQ and make an announcement regarding this situation.

If gift payments become unwelcome, then I can no longer sell anything on this site. The difference between gift and non-gift is not just the fees for me. With gift, I can ship using first class mail. With non-gift, I am required to charge and use expedited parcel, which costs double the amount ($7 vs $15). Some people are willing to pay double the shipping cost for the peace of mind, but it prices cheaper games out of the market. 

How can't you? Can't you go to the post office and choose your shipping method? I've had plenty of transactions from people in Canada and I've never gifted them, and shipping wasn't $15. Quit being lazy. With my above reponse, I can choose to ship however I want - be it expedited, priority, parcel, etc.

Originally posted by: LukeAF24

If gift payments become unwelcome, then I can no longer sell anything on this site. The difference between gift and non-gift is not just the fees for me. With gift, I can ship using first class mail. With non-gift, I am required to charge and use expedited parcel, which costs double the amount ($7 vs $15). Some people are willing to pay double the shipping cost for the peace of mind, but it prices cheaper games out of the market. 
Gifting has always been unwelcome:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&am...

I've actually walked away from a few sales due to the demand for the fees. Some of them were even $2. I don't ask anyone for fees, and neither should anyone else. They are called seller fees, not buyer fees. I always say gift appeciated but by no means required.

I've walked away from several deals like that myself. Even if the price for the fee was $0.20. It's the principle of the matter. I had one person refuse to ship something other than in a medium priority box (he lived a state away, and paying more for shipping on the 2 items I wanted was just absurd).

I always tell people "if you want to gift, go for it, if not, no worries". I never ask for gifted payments (and hell, I rarely even toss the option out there). Now, if I know someone is giving me a good deal, and I don't gift them, I'll toss in an extra few, because they didn't ask and I like being a nice guy. The minute someone feels entitled to having their fees covered for using a service that is easy for them, then fuck them.

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:03:09 PM
jjrepro (178)

(R. O.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I think the sellers should eat the paypal fees, its only 3%. I feel like often times the sellers here are alaready charging ebay prices, so they don't get to pay the ebays fees it shouldn't be a big deal to pay the small fee.

We just need to get away from the mentality that if someone wants $15 for something, don't freak out if you end up with $14.82.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:06:44 PM
Jobber8742 (185)
(Jeff Kilgard) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: pats1717

I hate when people are not upfront about gift payments and I don't like receiving gift payments either. It's a tax deduction for me and a cost of doing business. It makes it harder to ship and if used on a purchase it could make the funds non deductible on a tax standpoint

That's not true. Just because it doesn't show up on your 1099 doesn't mean the cost of selling the item and the item itself can't be included as a deduction. Just document it to have a record of it and put it on your return like everything else. Paypal doesn't dictate your tax situation.

"I'm not a nerd, I'm a video game enthusiast"

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:07:40 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: jjrepro

I think the sellers should eat the paypal fees, its only 3%. I feel like often times the sellers here are alaready charging ebay prices, so they don't get to pay the ebays fees it shouldn't be a big deal to pay the small fee.

We just need to get away from the mentality that if someone wants $15 for something, don't freak out if you end up with $14.82.

ha, don't even get me started on the people who charge ebay prices, or ABOVE ebay prices. I love when someone says "I HAVE to get $XX for this". No, you don't. You WANT that much for it, and if I'm going to pay that price, I'll go to ebay or amazon and get it that price or cheaper. No skin off my testes.

I can't wait to see how people are going to react once the online sales tax thing starts. "Oh, you can have it for $9, but you have to pay the paypal fees and the taxes for me".

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:35:51 PM
jjrepro (178)

(R. O.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Whats funny about some people on here is lets say they demand $15 for something, a lot of time you go into the finders keepers section and you see that they got 100 games for 15 dollars. They act like they need that price or else they'd be giving it away.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:37:55 PM
jjrepro (178)

(R. O.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I also think we should expand upon the for sale section. Make a FO section as well as a FS section. I refuse to be the first person to name a price. Most of the time when someone says that their items are for offer, they already have a price in mind. They should just be up front and ask for that price.

The whole "its up to the seller" thing is true, but I know that it does turn away potential sales.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:41:03 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: jjrepro

I also think we should expand upon the for sale section. Make a FO section as well as a FS section. I refuse to be the first person to name a price. Most of the time when someone says that their items are for offer, they already have a price in mind. They should just be up front and ask for that price.

The whole "its up to the seller" thing is true, but I know that it does turn away potential sales.

People generally put FO in hopes that someone will offer more than they want to ask.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:37:39 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
I don't understand why sellers just don't factor the fees into the price. Sellers shouldn't get butt hurt about asking for fees either. When people had to send money orders out when paypal didn't exist, the buyer had to pay for the money order not the seller. Makes sense still that the buyer should have to pay the fees.

This new system with online payments gave the seller the shaft.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:09:42 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

I don't understand why sellers just don't factor the fees into the price. Sellers shouldn't get butt hurt about asking for fees either. When people had to send money orders out when paypal didn't exist, the buyer had to pay for the money order not the seller. Makes sense still that the buyer should have to pay the fees.

This new system with online payments gave the seller the shaft.

The new system gave the seller the option to sell online with EASE, and offer more options to sell their wares. I get your point, but money orders were an option instead of a personal check, which costs the buyer NOTHING.

Everyone on here buys and sells. We all have to pay the fees, at least the honest ones. You can argue all you want that it should be the buyers, but it's in PAYPALS TOS. Sellers should learn how to price accordingly and not toss in hidden "fees" because they're cheap. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay your fees, or your packaging material. Go to the post office and get a flat rate box for free. And the reason I feel this way is for 2 reasons:

1.) Someone charged me for packaging material. It was a fucking flat rate box wrapped in a paper bag. Free box and free bag from the grocery store. On top of that, I was charged $6 in shipping, but the price sticker was only $3 or so. Am I going to get butt hurt over $3? No. I'm getting butt hurt by being lied to and screwing the system to squeeze as much $$ out of me as possible.

2.) I've had people on ebay charge $4 for shipping (manuals), and they come in a regular fucking envelope with 2 stamps. I'm sorry, but that's shitty right there. Thankfully the seller(s) that did this on ebay refunded me the shipping cost to avoid a negative.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:45:30 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Some people are just greedy for every stinking penny.

All my transactions I made I tell the buyer that when they send the amount I quote, send it the exact quote I quoted them. If Paypal takes out fees from it, I tell them not worry about it.

If I say something is $12.00, and I see $11.60 in my balance, I don't even care, it's not gonna make or break me.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:57:42 PM
DakotaKid (0)
(Jordan D) < Cherub >
North Dakota
I'm new to this forum and joined to talk about the hobby, but also in hopes of buying games for a little under ebay prices since sellers won't have to pay the ebay fees which can add up. What I've seen is some sellers here expect to get ebay prices, not pay ebay fees, and not even pay Paypal fees.

Someone here had a game listed that they were asking $30 for plus shipping plus paypal fees. I messaged them asking for their best price. I was going to ask them to pay the Paypal fees themselves (as a seller should) so that with shipping it would only cost me around $33. Instead, the seller updated their post to change the price to $35 and said it would cost me $40 with shipping plus I'd have to pay the Paypal fee (or gift it which I won't do) so that would have brought the total to $41.50. I said nevermind and just bought it BIN on ebay for $35 with free shipping...

My point is that the person who sold it to me on ebay probably only netted $25 after shipping, ebay fees, and paypal fees. I think that sellers here shouldn't expect to net the entire $35 (or more) and have no expenses. The price the seller posts should be the total price with no additional fees except shipping if it says that shipping isn't included. I would be in favor of making a rule that paypal gifting or charging buyers an additional fee is not allowed.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:15:14 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Please review the FAQ's
http://www.nintendoage.com/pub/fa...
III.A.13
has now addressed this issue.
Thanks

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:25:21 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Thank you mods and admins for addressing this!

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:34:12 PM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
Originally posted by: dra600n

Thank you mods and admins for addressing this!

+ 1

Thanks guys!

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:43:33 PM
Danger moose (23)
(Christopher ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Thank you, I got tired of feeling like for punk bringing this up.

Shut the f*** up and just play games

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:31:27 PM
milligangames (407)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
I'm so happy about this. Thanks mods

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:36:20 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
thank you guys! I really appreciate this

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:43:40 PM
alexkidd401 (260)
(Maui Mallard) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: DakotaKid

I'm new to this forum and joined to talk about the hobby, but also in hopes of buying games for a little under ebay prices since sellers won't have to pay the ebay fees which can add up. What I've seen is some sellers here expect to get ebay prices, not pay ebay fees, and not even pay Paypal fees.

Someone here had a game listed that they were asking $30 for plus shipping plus paypal fees. I messaged them asking for their best price. I was going to ask them to pay the Paypal fees themselves (as a seller should) so that with shipping it would only cost me around $33. Instead, the seller updated their post to change the price to $35 and said it would cost me $40 with shipping plus I'd have to pay the Paypal fee (or gift it which I won't do) so that would have brought the total to $41.50. I said nevermind and just bought it BIN on ebay for $35 with free shipping...

My point is that the person who sold it to me on ebay probably only netted $25 after shipping, ebay fees, and paypal fees. I think that sellers here shouldn't expect to net the entire $35 (or more) and have no expenses. The price the seller posts should be the total price with no additional fees except shipping if it says that shipping isn't included. I would be in favor of making a rule that paypal gifting or charging buyers an additional fee is not allowed.

You just sound cheap to me. After fees you would of still saved $0.75 if he didn't budge on the price. The seller already had a significantly cheaper price and you wanted a discount on top of that? ok buddy

Back to the topic though, I don't really see the issue but if it bothers people I guess it needs to be done. Don't be surpised if you see more inflated shipping prices though.

Alexkidd401's Trade List
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Alexkidd401's Want List

Edited: 02/20/2013 at 09:23 PM by alexkidd401

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:46:11 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Ah, a breath of fresh air, very much appreciated Mods and Admins at NA.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:53:11 AM
alexkidd401 (260)
United States
I have a question. So what if you tell the person you don't want to pay fees. The seller obviously isn't obligated to continue the transaction if they aren't comfortable with it? Also will members be penalize for paying for items via gift? What are the rules specific rules here. If the seller ask to cover the fees is that grounds for reprimanding? I'm not entirely clear on how far this goes.

Alexkidd401's Trade List

Alexkidd401's Want List

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:12:08 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Im really happy about this change! I never did any transactions on this site mainly bc I saw so many Gift only requests. There are other services besides paypal that dont charge for secure payments like Bitcoin.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:14:35 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: alexkidd401

1: So what if you tell the person you don't want to pay fees. The seller obviously isn't obligated to continue the transaction if they aren't comfortable with it?

2: Also will members be penalize for paying for items via gift?

3: If the seller ask to cover the fees is that grounds for reprimanding?

1: That's the point of the new rule. You can't obligate the buyer to pay the fees, which means you'll have to pay it. Looking only for gifted payment is now considered a bad practice. It works one way, and the other.

2: Naturally not. He can pay through gift, but he won't have any help from NA mods if the transaction goes bad, the seller won't help, and he can't open a dispute in paypal.

3: See 1.

Edited: 02/21/2013 at 02:24 AM by guillavoie

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:38:56 AM
alexkidd401 (260)
United States
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: alexkidd401

1: So what if you tell the person you don't want to pay fees. The seller obviously isn't obligated to continue the transaction if they aren't comfortable with it?

2: Also will members be penalize for paying for items via gift?

3: If the seller ask to cover the fees is that grounds for reprimanding?

1: That's the point of the new rule. You can't obligate the buyer to pay the fees, which means you'll have to pay it. Looking only for gifted payment is now considered a bad practice. It works one way, and the other.

2: Naturally not. He can pay through gift, but he won't have any help from NA mods if the transaction goes bad, the seller won't help, and he can't open a dispute in paypal.

3: See 1.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. There is too much grey area with this new rule. Don't worry about it though. It's relatively easy to adjust to.

Alexkidd401's Trade List

Alexkidd401's Want List