Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda OoT N64 vs GCN version ON the N64

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:30:26 PM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I have an EverDrive 64 and a GameCube controller to N64 adapter from raphnet-tech.com. I also have the GameCube version ROM on my EverDrive 64. Does the GameCube version, even when played on the N64, have anything better about it over the N64 version? Such as software anti-aliasing turned off?

I have an N64 w/ eTim's N64RGB and deblur turned on, I use HD Retrovision cables with it. So far to me it looks like the GameCube version is clearer but it could be a placebo effect. So I'm wondering if Nintendo might've turned off AA on the GameCube version.

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 08/11/2018 at 08:41 PM by roadkill

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:46:47 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
GCN version crashes at the end on a real N64, think it's during the end credits

Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:25:20 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: roadkill

I have an EverDrive 64 and a GameCube controller to N64 adapter from raphnet-tech.com. I also have the GameCube version ROM on my EverDrive 64. Does the GameCube version, even when played on the N64, have anything better about it over the N64 version? Such as software anti-aliasing turned off?

I have an N64 w/ eTim's N64RGB and deblur turned on, I use HD Retrovision cables with it. So far to me it looks like the GameCube version is clearer but it could be a placebo effect. So I'm wondering if Nintendo might've turned off AA on the GameCube version.
AA is a good thing. It was an advanced feature that really set the N64 apart from the competition. You wouldn’t want to turn that off. Same goes for texture filtering. The problem with blurry textures wasn’t the filtering, it was a low resolution for the texture BEFORE filtering was applied, which is a consequence of the small storage capacity of cartridges.

The GameCube version is clearer on a GameCube because it’s emulated at 480i/p. The N64 versions would be clearer too if you injected it into the same emulator using Jurai’s tools. 

What would really help would be texture hacks, but most are made exclusively for N64 emulators.

Originally posted by: MrPete1985

There is a patch that fixes this though.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:47:09 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: roadkill

AA is a good thing. It was an advanced feature that really set the N64 apart from the competition. You wouldn’t want to turn that off. Same goes for texture filtering. The problem with blurry textures wasn’t the filtering, it was a low resolution for the texture BEFORE filtering was applied, which is a consequence of the small storage capacity of cartridges.

I honestly can't the stand AA and the blurriness of the N64, I know it sets it apart from the other consoles of that generation but I much prefer N64 games looking as sharp as PS1 games. I did like the burriness in the past on my old CRT TV with RF only during the 90s, but to me it didn't pass the test of time. I now prefer the textures and the text to be razor sharp, especially on HDTVs. I will agree that it can be a matter of preference, and I will also agree that certains parts of games look better when I turn deblur off so I am glad that I can turn at least deblur on and off with the N64RGB. I figured out how to turn off AA using .aps files for each individual game on my ED64 which auto-patch on the fly as well, it would only be possible to turn off AA with the UltraHDMI if I didn't have an ED64 (the GameShark can be used too but can be very unreliable). You probably already know that but I figured I'd mention it anyway.
Originally posted by: MrPete1985

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for letting me know there's a patch to fix it CZroe

Edit: I have to add, now that I've patched the GameCube version with the 'no_aa' patch and have truly seen what Zelda OoT looks like without AA and with deblur on, it looks fantastic! Especially in the daylight. I must say that the graphics seem to be in between the level of PS1 and PS2 graphics, even at 240p. Once again, I will agree that it's a matter of preference, but I truly hate the default AA and bluriness on the N64.

I couldn't get the no AA GameShark codes to work on Zelda OoT before I found the patches (thanks again btw). The game would simply not boot up with the no AA GameShark codes entered. Zelda MM boots up just fine though.

Btw, I've noticed the patch changes the colors and lettering of the buttons back to the original N64 controller scheme, no big deal though. Also I'm very glad that the speech text goes faster now, I had been looking everywhere for a GameShark code for that.

I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 08/16/2018 at 02:46 AM by roadkill