Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Paperboy 2 Contest ends Sunday, 4/16/17 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:01:14 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  Here's a riddle for you all this week.  What's black and white and read all over?  A newspaper (that was an easy one).  And what did you do with a newspaper as a kid?  You got on your bicycle early in the morning and threw newspapers at houses and runaway tires and guys breakdancing in the street and skateboarders and the Grim Reaper and mummies and old people sitting on a swing on their front porch while they suck on their dentures and...what's that?  You never did any of those things?  Well, with this week's contest, you can finally do all that.  You guessed it, this week's game is Paperboy 2.  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • Choose to be either a Paperboy or Papergirl
  • Start on the default route.  You are not allowed to put in a code to play further in the game
  • Play until you are fired (Game Over)
  • Take your picture on the Top 5 Scores screen
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 10,000
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 4/16/17 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/17/2017 at 03:28 PM by bimmy_lee

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:01:31 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
1st 423,290 Bea_Iank
2nd 303,760 Richardhead
3rd 266,000 the tall guy
4th 262,020 ninjistar
5th 229,860 tablew/chairs
6th 131,570 Stryphos
7th 129,460 Murray
8th 118,300 SuperJimtendo
so close ... 107,380 gutsman004
not as close ... 68,100 Krunch
  47,050 zobber
  35,700 arnpoly
  34,650 Gloves
  33,850 barrelsAndRivets
  29,300 Seppatoni
  16,800 skinnygrinny
  15,850 mbd39
  14,000 Brock Landers
  13,460 smick
  12,850 dirk12121212
  12,050 JerToxieRules
  10,800 EgasKrad
LAST 10,200 MissTrixy

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/17/2017 at 08:28 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:54:19 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
423,290 - Game beaten with lots of death to optimize scoring.
402,220 - Game beaten with deaths.
378,610 - Game beaten with intentional deaths at hard way to refill papers
372,070 - Game beaten

Downed 4 shots of rum and figured a thing or two more, which allowed me to score a wee bit better.
Certain actions can cause the robbers at the gas station to spawn, increasing your scoring options. Also died a few more times during middle road to optimize my score.
This is my best. No way I can improve this, so now all I can do is sit and wait for it to be inevitably beaten by tomorrow night.  
I am terrible at this.

No baby carts on the hard way again, but I got really lucky on easy way and medium way with them.
Also, got plenty of robbers. And booze surely helped!
By the power of booze and wardrobe accidents, I have the score!

Video footage will be up tomorrow. OBS got it all this time.  
My Hard Way week was awful! I didn't get a freaking baby cart.  
Usually I get 2 at least! 14K points that I didn't get to score.  
Video will be uploaded tomorrow.

I hope to improve my score tonight and I will record my run next time. Once I am sobered up and had my coffee, I will post some tips.

Edit:
... We can die and use up all our lives this time around? D:
This means I can crash on purpose on the few sections were I went low on papers and had to decide between a few high points targets!
Each perfect delivery day nets you an extra life, btw.
400K, here I go.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 04/15/2017 at 09:35 PM by Bea_Iank

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:22:26 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Dude I say this is straight up crayola, cause bimmy you're posting earlier than ever now. And I gotta say these peeps that live in the mountains or chinook radius really dig it. So I'll give it to you straight, I haven't even made participation yet in Tecmo Super Bowl, cause everyone knows I'm the token bunkweasel or if you prefer, the bunkest weasel. Gonna lay it down right now I rocked it old school last season and bought CIB's every time it looked like a game I dig, and it's cool, cause I didn't splurge on Mendel Palace, and I got a slightly crispy Mighty Bombjack which I will thank you and guillavoie forever for. But on the flip I got Tecmo Super Bowl CIB from my boy ExplodedHamster and I've still just been rockin the fat emulator to struggle against the Bills. Maybe you guys will save me by converting my to emulators and gain me a lot of money over time??? Dude seriously I bought an eBay lot for a decent price that contained Paperboy CIB and Paperboy 2 CIB (which I had the manual for). I bought them for this shit and last year's shit but Paperboy 2 is bunk condition and that artwork makes a man cringe and recoil. After this week they're going to the sell bin, if I wanna be a straight G I can keep the GameBoy CIB. And straight troof I've been rockin Yoshi on emulator too, even though I have a cherished CIB. What's with that shir???? Holla this isn't my most favoritist block but you homies are doing a better job than ever. Keep tuned for my next post 5 days from now when I'm struggling to impress on Newspaper The Sequal, this gator is out, peace homes Hail Varner

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:32:50 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Great. Time for a crappy score for this guy.  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:21:15 AM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Score: 118,300

photo 20170413_111307_zpssciwobmg.jpg

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 04:11 PM by SuperJimtendo

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:40:50 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Soooooooooo........ this game. I really have always liked these games, just have never been very good at them. My
goal this week is to finally actually beat this one.
This should be a fun week!

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 03:40 PM by Richardhead

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:10:30 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Time for some quick tips from pure, chaste and innocent Aunt Bea.
- On the crash course, either have 19 or 9 papers before crossing the finish line. Crossing it with 9 papers will give you 19 papers to start the next day. AND you seem get bonus points for clearing the crash course with 19 papers.
- On the haunted house, always slow down to let the zombies and mummies move out and then hit the crown. If you don't, he will chase you and you will crash. The other monsters are worth very little points, so it is better to just let them move.
- Sewer hands are worth 500 points, but the timing to get them is tricky. Avoid them on haunted houses and focus on the crown and ghost instead.
- If you have 6 or lower papers, the next non subscriber house will always have a stack of 10 papers.
- Check for robbers on the market or the gas station at easy street. They are worth 1K points.
- At medium street, at the 1st intersection you have 2 unicycle riding clowns worth 100 points each, a wandering girl who is crossing the street and a graffiti guy on the left side at the top. The girl and the graffiti guy are worth 1K points each. Aim for them if you are short on papers.
- At hard street, one of the intersections always have a running prisoner. Hit him for easy 1K points.
- Baby carts are worth 1K points and always spawn at the same place. Memorise them and get easy 1K points.
- You can hit cars coming your way on the street intersections to stop them shortly. They are worth either 200 or 500 points.

That is all for now. Once I figure out more stuff, I will post here.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:33:26 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I'm struggling to get participation.  

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:50:04 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mbd39

I'm struggling to get participation.  

I am struggling to get the motivation to play the game.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:57:27 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Krunch

Dude I say this is straight up crayola, cause bimmy you're posting earlier than ever now. And I gotta say these peeps that live in the mountains or chinook radius really dig it. So I'll give it to you straight, I haven't even made participation yet in Tecmo Super Bowl, cause everyone knows I'm the token bunkweasel or if you prefer, the bunkest weasel. Gonna lay it down right now I rocked it old school last season and bought CIB's every time it looked like a game I dig, and it's cool, cause I didn't splurge on Mendel Palace, and I got a slightly crispy Mighty Bombjack which I will thank you and guillavoie forever for. But on the flip I got Tecmo Super Bowl CIB from my boy ExplodedHamster and I've still just been rockin the fat emulator to struggle against the Bills. Maybe you guys will save me by converting my to emulators and gain me a lot of money over time??? Dude seriously I bought an eBay lot for a decent price that contained Paperboy CIB and Paperboy 2 CIB (which I had the manual for). I bought them for this shit and last year's shit but Paperboy 2 is bunk condition and that artwork makes a man cringe and recoil. After this week they're going to the sell bin, if I wanna be a straight G I can keep the GameBoy CIB. And straight troof I've been rockin Yoshi on emulator too, even though I have a cherished CIB. What's with that shir???? Holla this isn't my most favoritist block but you homies are doing a better job than ever. Keep tuned for my next post 5 days from now when I'm struggling to impress on Newspaper The Sequal, this gator is out, peace homes Hail Varner

Haha, great post man, keep up the good work!

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:54:32 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Unfortunately done for today. I can make it to Friday on easy street with one life to spare. Those damn sewer hands are what do me in!

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:19:40 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Unfortunately done for today. I can make it to Friday on easy street with one life to spare. Those damn sewer hands are what do me in!

Oh, come on Champ!
You won't let mere hands defeat you, will you?
Swerve to the right or to the left, depending on the street side you are and they won't hit you.
Collision boxes are very generous in this port.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:21:32 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Oh, come on Champ!
Swerve to the right or to the left, depending on the street side you are and they won't hit you.

I only won last season because you started late and didn't make tier 1!

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:59:48 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Oh, come on Champ!

Non-sense. I would be eliminated at Mario Bros had I made it to tier 1 last year.  
Cutout for tier 1 was 123K using one life only.
Playing till game over in mode B I scored 176K. So no way I would win the championship!
I am terrible at video games, but I am specially terrible at Mario Bros.

... Here's hoping the first game of the tournament this year won't be a Megaman game...

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:45:08 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Oh, come on Champ!

Non-sense. I would be eliminated at Mario Bros had I made it to tier 1 last year.  
Cutout for tier 1 was 123K using one life only.
Playing till game over in mode B I scored 176K. So no way I would win the championship!
I am terrible at video games, but I am specially terrible at Mario Bros.

... Here's hoping the first game of the tournament this year won't be a Megaman game...

I would bet a sealed Stadium Events that one won't be in the tournament. 

Edited: 04/09/2017 at 05:45 PM by gutsman004

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:48:37 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I've never played this one, so I'll probably be watching from the sidelines this week. Good luck everybody!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:39:13 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Initially I wanted to break 100k (check) then it became trying to beat table's score for second and of course the game wouldn't allow it. Seeing as I was close I will be compelled to keep playing until I do.

Edited: 04/14/2017 at 12:56 AM by gutsman004

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:38:46 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

I think Auntie Bea has this week on lockdown fellas! Looks like I will be alternating between Paperboy and The Adventures of Bayou Jerbilly this week  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Edited: 04/15/2017 at 06:52 PM by Murray

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:43:13 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Murray

I think Auntie Bea has this week on lockdown fellas! Looks like I will be alternating between Paperboy and The Adventures of Bayou Jerbilly this week  

But I didn't even clear 400K... yet!
Sure everyone has a shot at winning this week!

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:46:25 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 01:32 PM by mbd39

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:52:18 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:54:19 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Considering how I am terrible at video games, anyone can break 400K if I manage to.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:58:12 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado

Considering how I am terrible at video games, anyone can break 400K if I manage to.  
It still amazes me that you are able to pull off these ridiculous scores on a laptop  

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:01:04 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

It still amazes me that you are able to pull off these ridiculous scores on a laptop  

I spend my days coding. Keyboards are my specialty.  
It feels as natural as the NES pad for me in most cases. And the input lag is easily measurable and accountable for.  
But I am eyeing an Everdrive this year. Playing on the real hardware feels better and has a wee bit less of input lag.