Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Would like some help with learning about some decent tvs for retro gaming... as thin as possible and compatible with lightguns?...

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:05:06 PM
~CM~ (0)
(Chocolate Misu) < Cherub >
Indiana
What I've got in mind for what I'm looking for is something with a 20" screen or less, as thin as possible, leightweight, and hopefully wall mountable.  I have a plan for building a gaming area reminescint of an old demo kiosk and I've finalized my design....  I really need to mount the tv to the wall and would like for it not to jut out too far.  I would like a crt but I don't know how thin we can get.  A 4:3 monitor could work too maybe?  I might have to settle for a normal modern flatscreen but then Duck Hunt is out...

I'm in no hurry for this btw.  I won't be able to make this set up for a couple years yet.  Just want to line up some prospects in the meantime.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:23:48 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada

-------------------------
Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:32:08 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Nothing that supports light guns will be wall mountable, as far as I know.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:45:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

If you cut a bigass hole it will be.  

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:34:08 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

If you cut a bigass hole it will be.  

that's what I was going to say   the old fashioned way

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:40:00 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Is duck hunt really that important? What I would do is keep a small crt in the closet and bust it out when I have the itch. Otherwise just get an HDTV, with an AVS or modded NES. HDTVs are cheap these days

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:50:30 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
You can wall mount a CRT. Just not the same way as with a LCD screen. They used to be in every hospital.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:26:23 PM
~CM~ (0)
Indiana
Originally posted by: Bert

Is duck hunt really that important? What I would do is keep a small crt in the closet and bust it out when I have the itch. Otherwise just get an HDTV, with an AVS or modded NES. HDTVs are cheap these days
I was starting to think about this after I posted.  I don't even have the game and gun at the moment, still waiting for family to sell it to me    But when they do I'll have a second console I could keep setup with my old crt in a sperate area...

So maybe I don't really need a crt...... are there any good 4:3 flat screens around?  It'll bug me if I put a regular tv in 4:3 mode and have black bars on the side forever lol

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:07:46 AM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
just get your self a sony SD crt those work pretty well.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:20:18 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

You can wall mount a CRT. Just not the same way as with a LCD screen. They used to be in every hospital.
I Thought about that. I took their idea of "wallmounting" to be similar to a flatscreen due to the way they worded the post. the ones in hospitals generally used sistered brackets to the studs in the walls due to the weight (or ceiling). Sounds like a bit more work than OP was trying to get into. 

Edited: 09/12/2017 at 12:26 AM by MrWunderful

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:48:58 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Definitely requires a stud or three. I'm just saying, it's far from impossible to mount a 20" 2000s CRT TV on a sheetrock wall. Plywood, closet brackets, EZ Anchors, screws, and paint (optional).

Not a hidden VESA bracket, not MrWunderful aesthetic standards, but not difficult by any means.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:51:50 AM
TheArcadeGeek (25)
< Crack Trooper >
Texas
Originally posted by: ~CM~

Originally posted by: Bert

I was starting to think about this after I posted.  I don't even have the game and gun at the moment, still waiting for family to sell it to me    But when they do I'll have a second console I could keep setup with my old crt in a sperate area...

So maybe I don't really need a crt...... are there any good 4:3 flat screens around?  It'll bug me if I put a regular tv in 4:3 mode and have black bars on the side forever lol

Samsung made a few 4:3 computer monitors - the T213 & T214.  Both are 21".  You see them being used a lot in crappy arcade game conversions.  That's the largest 4:3 aspect ratio flat monitor that is somewhat easily found. Aside from that, you are looking at a million 19" options.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:46:41 PM
~CM~ (0)
Indiana
So I'm having a very difficult time trying to find any decent tvs for sale as google, ebay, and amazon love giving me monitors instead. Without actual part numbers I'm kind of stuck with generic searches and anything specific that pops up is pretty expensive. I'm starting to consider a monitor with the use of an av to vga adapter....

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:04:42 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California

So I'm having a very difficult time trying to find any decent tvs for sale as google, ebay, and amazon love giving me monitors instead. Without actual part numbers I'm kind of stuck with generic searches and anything specific that pops up is pretty expensive. I'm starting to consider a monitor with the use of an av to vga adapter....

craigslist. and just search crt tv. thats how i got mine.  most of the time there really cheap or free.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:34:09 PM
xjwebb1982 (38)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Nes Freak

craigslist. and just search crt tv. thats how i got mine.  most of the time there really cheap or free.
Craigslist or some Goodwill/thrift stores still carry them and they are cheap there. Or if you want the thrill of the hunt go dumpster diving on trash day    I'm serious. I didn't plan on it, but I acquired the 3 I own that way. People still regularly throw them out as they replace them with flat screens. I just stopped, grabbed them, and they still work fine. If one dies, who cares, it was free and I'll just use one of the backups.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:45:47 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: xjwebb1982

Originally posted by: Nes Freak

Craigslist or some Goodwill/thrift stores still carry them and they are cheap there. Or if you want the thrill of the hunt go dumpster diving on trash day    I'm serious. I didn't plan on it, but I acquired the 3 I own that way. People still regularly throw them out as they replace them with flat screens. I just stopped, grabbed them, and they still work fine. If one dies, who cares, it was free and I'll just use one of the backups.

I found two at a charity thrift store type thing, paid 4 and 7 dollars for them, and they still work great. And I have my original tv from before I got my HDTV. You can never have too many  

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:01:28 AM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I stopped at a nearby Salvation Army last weekend and I saw one CRT widescreen HDTV, two 32" WEGAs, a 27" Triniton, and various other 20-32" CRTs lined up along the back wall.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry