Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk Blinking Light Win: Fixing your toaster NES for good (72-pin replacement)

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:22:54 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:28:12 AM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: dav3yb

PS, can i buy one of these even if the kickstarter fails? I'd buy one just through you.
No. If the kickstarter fails he gets zero funds and there will be no new horizontal cart loaders for anyone.

If the kickstarter succeeds, then they may be able to supply more after the initial shipment of units are sent to backers.

If you want this product to exist, then back the project. If it fails, you won't lose any money.

EDIT: Looking mighty good right now.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/113891498/blinking-light-wi...

Well i know that... but obvioulsy he had to make some prototypes to test it out, and probably has most of the production stuff figured out... depending on if it costs a ton more, i'd still like to buy one even if he had to make them individually (is what i was mostly hinting at)

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:48:53 AM
shadowkn55 (9)
(Q N) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
A good chunk of the kickstarter money is going towards tooling so if the goal isn't reached, most likely it won't be produced. Generally, production quality prototypes are very expensive to produce (on the order of thousands) so selling one-offs isn't the most affordable way about it unless you REALLY have to have it and are independently wealthy.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:36:14 AM
jonwvsu (1)

(Jon Beyer) < Tourian Tourist >
West Virginia
I backed it. I have cleaned and refurbished many 72-pins. It was a point of weakness, and weakness shall be eliminated. It really is an elegant solution. Just a couple of things; I noticed in you comments, that you say the Game Genie will be difficult to remove. Might I suggest the Model 2 Game Genie designed for the 101? They are rare, and flashcarts have it built in, but still. And this should come with a sticker for the inside of the game-slot lid. Something along the lines of "Initial Force Required" or "This system is equipped with a Blinking Light Win device. Do not attempt to depress the game cartridge."

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:38:51 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: jonwvsu

I backed it. I have cleaned and refurbished many 72-pins. It was a point of weakness, and weakness shall be eliminated. It really is an elegant solution. Just a couple of things; I noticed in you comments, that you say the Game Genie will be difficult to remove. Might I suggest the Model 2 Game Genie designed for the 101? They are rare, and flashcarts have it built in, but still. And this should come with a sticker for the inside of the game-slot lid. Something along the lines of "Initial Force Required" or "This system is equipped with a Blinking Light Win device. Do not attempt to depress the game cartridge."
I'm not sure if the Genie will fit in the new loader without removal of the plastic tab. Then you'd need to attach a ribbon to get it out or it would be permanantly stuck. Pity because I am a fan of the Genie. The PCB is thicker but it never messed up my top-loading clone systems so it may still be possible to use with it. Also it's a bear of a fit but you can "stack" Game Genies to add additional codes (8-characters only). Add too many though and some games will start to malfunction.

Edited: 12/02/2014 at 05:41 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:32:48 AM
dav3yb (39)
Mississippi
So I just thought of something... This might make it easier for people to make nintoasters, since the guides I've seen have people making a connector from the game genie, if this one lines up well enough,or even if it's half the work of soldering up the main board to the game genie connection.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:01:32 PM
clarky_n64 (77)
(Clarky Creations) < Eggplant Wizard >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: krankcolc

I was in until shipping killed that deal. $18 + $10 to ship one within the US?!

I was also in until I saw $40 to ship to UK.

Want custom repros:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:06:20 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I have to admit, I'm tempted. I'm pretty meticulous with cleaning my carts, though, personally, might not take the plunge. I like the nostalgic push down...I am a silly person.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:37:08 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I'm assuming the early bird $18 tier rewards you with a discounted BLW, but the wording is kinda vague (I could also read it as you'll get a discount on a post-kickstarter purchase).

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:32:12 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I paid the $20 just to be safe. $10 shipping isn't that bad, and to be fair s&h charges shouldn't be included in the KS total as that eats away at the funding needed for completing it. $30 for a brand new loader I'll never have to replace again or be totally anal about cleaning carts to make them read. I've made other "enhancements" to my NES which cost far more. CopyUSB, anyone?

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:22:55 PM
Dark-Aries (0)

< Cherub >
Ontario
You guys are complaining about 10 bucks shipping in the states. It's 30 to Canada. Thank god I have an American mailbox...

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:25:10 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
Awesome, I backed this project on Kickstarter earlier today. A few of us were shown the prototype at PRGE and it looks great!

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:24:46 PM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: teh lurv

I'm assuming the early bird $18 tier rewards you with a discounted BLW, but the wording is kinda vague (I could also read it as you'll get a discount on a post-kickstarter purchase).
I think its discounted from the normal $20 pledge as there is an unlimited amount of those, but only 100 $18 early bird openings.

I backed it also for the $18 pledge.  I also agree with jonwvsu, that it should maybe come with a warning sticker as a reminder not to try and push the cart down (in case of friends or someone besides you using your nes).  Hopefully its sturdy enough that it wont break if you push down on it too hard.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:24:11 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: mickcris

I think its discounted from the normal $20 pledge as there is an unlimited amount of those, but only 100 $18 early bird openings.

I backed it also for the $18 pledge.  I also agree with jonwvsu, that it should maybe come with a warning sticker as a reminder not to try and push the cart down (in case of friends or someone besides you using your nes).  Hopefully its sturdy enough that it wont break if you push down on it too hard.

You can try; it just won't move. I don't think it's gonna break simply by pushing on something. Unlike 90% of products sold today, this ain't made in China.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:40:57 AM
jonwvsu (1)

(Jon Beyer) < Tourian Tourist >
West Virginia
I read that you were replacing the cradle as well. I was just thinking 1 part warning, 2 parts bragging, with a pinch of self-promotion!

Edited: 12/03/2014 at 03:41 AM by jonwvsu

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:13:43 AM
shadowkn55 (9)
United States

I'll have some sort warning sticker included with the first run. The tray itself is pretty thick walled in addition to being made of high quality ABS plastic. There is also ribbing on the underside of the tray to provide additional reinforcement. The amount of downward force you need to crack the tray would break the rest of the system before the tray shows signs of trouble.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:16:36 AM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: shadowkn55

I'll have some sort warning sticker included with the first run. The tray itself is pretty thick walled in addition to being made of high quality ABS plastic. There is also ribbing on the underside of the tray to provide additional reinforcement. The amount of downward force you need to crack the tray would break the rest of the system before the tray shows signs of trouble.
Awesome!   I was just picturing someone not knowing it was different, trying to force it down with all their mite and breaking it.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:22:10 AM
shadowkn55 (9)
United States
I like to go for the solid approach when I do my engineering. If microns of thickness is all that separates high quality from low and the difference is only pennies, there is no reason to cheap out. The BLW is a little more costly than the current 3rd party replacements but it's designed to last a lifetime.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:55:13 AM
sully_51 (41)
(Dave Sullivan) < Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Cool! Backed!

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:21:43 PM
Bodom_ (0)
(Justin M.) < Cherub >
Ontario
Cool, I'll have to remember to back you when I get paid next week

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:30:17 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I like to go for the solid approach when I do my engineering. If microns of thickness is all that separates high quality from low and the difference is only pennies, there is no reason to cheap out. The BLW is a little more costly than the current 3rd party replacements but it's designed to last a lifetime.

That's awesome dude. Like the difference between pirate carts and legit games. The former squishes when you press on it. The latter, a 300 pound guy could step on and it wouldn't break. I had my game cube fall off a shelf and hit the hard floor while running. The game didn't even hiccup. That's the kind of engineering I like to see...

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:13:11 AM
dav3yb (39)
Mississippi

That's pretty bold putting your products strength against something made of nintendium

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:54:23 PM
ThePlague (4)
(Mat Riot) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Zealand
I have backed it! $17 post FTW

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:41:58 PM
Lyjal (4)

< Cherub >
Oregon
I backed it. Good Luck!

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:44:41 PM
ulasamosa (280)