Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

FA: Excellent NES Stuff... 35 CIB Games, 2 Sealed Accessories, and Rad Racer w/(yellow) Mail-in 3D Glasses Auction Ends March 16th 2010 @ 11:00PM (NintendoAge time) High Bids - various

LOCKED TOPIC

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:26:36 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

(Brion Sohn) < Little Mac >
California
Originally posted by: Brion Sohn

Just to let everyone know. I have PM'd the people who in the last auction were within $5.00 or around the minimum bid and am giving them re-instatement priority of their bids for the 24 Hours. Meaning they can list at what their last bid was and get priority over someone with the SAME bid amount. I am mentioning this NOW as there are no current conflicts either the latest bid is higher that the prior auction bit or a new bid has not been placed on that title. This is only an issue for matching bids.. if you bid more than the last bid on the old auction you are the high bidder, if you bid less well then you may get out bid with the reinstatement.. I think this is only fair to those who came prior.

This currently affects 6 titles many of which were at or slightly below the minimums.

Thank you 
Brion Sohn

24 hour grandfathered time period is up.. no bids from the original auction are transferable at this point, new bids must be placed.

Thank you, 
Brion Sohn

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:17:03 PM
Euripides (102)
(Ryan "Euripides" Kent) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Does the gold Zelda you have for auction have a PURPLE GANNON? Standing by with port-brand scrotal polish to make payment! No, but seriously you have some great stuff, good luck with the auction friend. Cheers!

- Euripides -

* Oh, and one last thing, $10 on Rygar.

-------------------------
Bring Your Own Beard
- The Mighty Euripides -

Edited: 03/10/2010 at 09:21 PM by Euripides

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:06:37 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Originally posted by: Euripides

Does the gold Zelda you have for auction have a PURPLE GANNON? Standing by with port-brand scrotal polish to make payment! No, but seriously you have some great stuff, good luck with the auction friend. Cheers!

- Euripides -

* Oh, and one last thing, $10 on Rygar.

Funny.. Actually I seriously doubt it... I did ask Dain a question about it as I assume that it may only be in the White Seal ones.. If he thinks it may be in all it almost makes me want to play it over just to find out.. But then again maybe not.. 

Thank you for the bid...

Brion

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:22:46 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
That elusive purple gannon has everyone looking dude!

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:42:21 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Originally posted by: TheFrisbee

That elusive purple gannon has everyone looking dude!

I just had to put it up.. look at the auction list...

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:48:44 PM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
$22 on Super Mario Bros. 2 and $20 on Super Mario Bros. 3

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:06:27 AM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
15 for hogans alley

Edited: 03/11/2010 at 01:07 AM by Zoso471

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:34:57 AM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I'll bid $6 on Gauntlet and $11 on Super Sprint too!

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:35:12 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Daily bump...

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:17:52 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Bump

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:56:21 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

#4 - Bids must be placed in the forum. 

Exceptions:

- Grandfathered bids within 24hours - Currently invalid

- Private message bids will be allowed for anonymous bidding - Proof of

This isn't going to work here, sorry. All bids must be made public.

eBay listings here

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:04:26 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Not sure exactly why it won't work.. 

I received a request for the ability to make a private bid. And then I thought about it as with the bid not being listed it could be construed as shilling.. so that is why I put the condition on the bid that any PM will be kept private, however, if someone asks to see the bid I will fwd the copy of the PM'd bid to the requester. (you would be losing your anonymousness to the requester of the message)

I did not see anything in the FAQ (updated version) requiring open bids (but maybe I missed it). If that is a common consensus then I will pull anonymous bidding and it is something that should be added to the FAQ. There is still time in which this change will not affect anything.

please PM Me with your views on this so as not to confuse the thread.. If it should be added as such to the FAQ please contact Dain as well.

Currently i see this as more of a detriment to the seller (me) than the buyer as a bid placed by PM if not placed on the board by me fast enough it could limit the top amount that a I could get..  matched bids would still be determined by timestamp in the end. Bids would be posted to the list as anonymous.

There are currently none so changes would be easy.

Brion

Edited: 03/13/2010 at 05:06 PM by Brion Sohn

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:16:34 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
I don't think it's in the FAQ. However, many auctions in the past have had problems determining the winner, and people getting pissed off that they were outbid and didn't know it in the final seconds (and maybe would have bid higher then). There was an auction for a 5-screw Mega Man that had this happen with Mario's Right Nut and myself where the seller missed my anonymous bid and MRN felt it was unfair that he couldn't beat my bid in time. After much arguing and bringing in mods, we finally "flipped a coin". It was a crappy situation from an unforseen problem, and after that pretty much everyone has stayed away from accepting PM bids.

Edited: 03/13/2010 at 05:17 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:43:24 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
OK I will remove that.. I thought there could possibly be issues. but I didn't know it has happened before. I think I will drop a note to Dain since really there was no Auction FAQ before all of this so it is sort of all new. I am sure it will ease their issues as well.

Brion

Edited: 03/13/2010 at 05:55 PM by Brion Sohn

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:35:34 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Just got verification from Dain on PM Bidding.. It is up to the Auctioneer.. However I belive i am going to leave this with NO PM bidding as that is how the auction was originally set-up and i really don't want to deal with the hassles of timing last minute bids as i don't think I have anything that would be considered extremely high ticket.  

If you wish to place a bid anonymously please request a friend place the bid and in the post say something like "This Item for $$$$ for an anonymous bidder".  That way it will be anonymous from even me until the end in which I will then be able to get the name from the poster.

--- ALERT --- Miultiple accounts for any reason are not allowed - per Dain

<edit>

Thank you for your understanding on this.. 

Brion Sohn...

Edited: 03/14/2010 at 03:11 PM by Brion Sohn

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:39:13 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Another option would be to create a second NA Account that you will use only for bidding. Then if you don't let it out as to who you actually are no one will ever know.

NOT AN OPTION FOLKS. Quick way to get yourself banned.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:40:27 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta

Just got verification from Dain on PM Bidding.. It is up to the Auctioneer.. However I belive i am going to leave this with NO PM bidding as that is how the auction was originally set-up and i really don't want to deal with the hassles of timing last minute bids as i don't think I have anything that would be considered extremely high ticket.  

If you wish to place a bid anonymously please request a friend place the bid and in the post say something like "This Item for $$$$ for an anonymous bidder".  That way it will be anonymous from even me until the end in which I will then be able to get the name from the poster.

Another option would be to create a second NA Account that you will use only for bidding. Then if you don't let it out as to who you actually are no one will ever know.

Thank you for your understanding on this.. 

Brion Sohn...

How about this - if anyone wants to bid anonymously, and I'm online, pop me a message and I'll do just that.  If I'm offline though, you're running the risk of me not seeing it in time to place the bid on your behalf, and if that happens, you're pretty much screwed.  Also, I would suggest that in the case of bidding in someone's place, either the place-bidder or the anonymous party also contact the seller with their identity, so that they know who to contact at the end of the auction.  Or something like that.  It does seem like more hassle than it's worth unless it's a high-end item you don't want people to know about

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:18:46 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Originally posted by: pats1717

NOT AN OPTION FOLKS. Quick way to get yourself banned.

Boy, I just seem to be pushing all the boundaries here.. Anyway I have sent a message to Dain to clear that up as I cannot find anything in the FAQ's regarding second accounts and have noted such in my original post as this note flipped pages.

Brion

Edited: 03/13/2010 at 08:19 PM by Brion Sohn

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:39:54 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
I'd say give it a couple reads.

http://nintendoage.com/faq/rules_...

eBay listings here

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:41:50 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Originally posted by: qixmaster

http://nintendoage.com/faq/rules_general.html#SockPuppeteering

OK I missed that. Anyway I put a question into Dain about it. He has the last word on it. It does say "May" get banned and "for the sole purpose of disrupting the site".. Of which I don't think anonymous bids for your own use would be considered disrupting the site.. That is unless you are doing it for fraudulent purposes. So It sounds like there is some question there. I guess it is all in the interpretation.

Brion

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:07:58 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

eBay listings here

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:01:09 AM
Brion Sohn (11)

California

Originally posted by: qixmaster

http://nintendoage.com/faq/rules_general.html#SockPuppeteering

OK I missed that. Anyway I put a question into Dain about it. He has the last word on it. It does say "May" get banned and "for the sole purpose of disrupting the site".. Of which I don't think anonymous bids for your own use would be considered disrupting the site.. That is unless you are doing it for fraudulent purposes. So It sounds like there is some question there. I guess it is all in the interpretation.

Brion

Here is my explanation of the above as being interpreted as I don't want anyone to think I am being disrespectful or anything.. i am just trying to figure out how to make it so everyone Myself and others on this site understands all that can be done or can't be...

The message to Dain was sent prior to reading the section of the FAQ in question.

As for the FAQ ( I did miss that section the first time) I understand that section of the FAQ to pertain to keeping people from messing with one another by using two personas to either gang up and or fool another member which is disruptive and requires action, hence, the naming as Sock Puppeteering as you are controlling the other account much like a sock puppet. However, because of its wording it doesn't really pertain to what would be a second private account for Anonymous bidding which would be a personal thing such as having two email accounts,  a public one and a private.. that is all I was trying to say. I was a little short in my response though because I really waned to wait for the final word on multiple accounts before anything else.

I now understand the whole symbol thing for moderators which is different than most forums I frequent which normally just plaster moderator under the name of the person who is the moderator. 

It seems like I am just bringing up questions which really have not been worked out and probably should be.. The only reason why I brought this up is I was trying to figure out ways of allowing anonymous bidding in a public setting. The only true way would be a second account or a trigger on your current account to allow posts without name tagging. Having a friend bid is only semi-anonymous but it is a good option.

Unfortunately, I have been given mis-information as well as conflicting information about things on this site from users and moderators (not knowing they were moderators at the time) so I am just trying to find out the true answers and also trying to figure out the easiest method by which users of the forum can do certain things. While keeping things transparent to other users. This is why I decided not to keep PM bidding as it is not transparent in that everyone knows when a bid is placed and for what amount. With this it removes anonymity so I am just trying to figure out how that option can be regained for all to use when they see fit.

Brion

Edited: 03/14/2010 at 05:06 AM by Brion Sohn

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:16:04 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
Response in from Dain...

No Multiple accounts for any reason. I have suggested a FAQ change to him to actually state that rather than the more vague. "for the sole purpose of" and May get banned" to read something like.

Multiple Accounts - No multiple accounts for any purpose. Multiple accounts that are found will be deleted. If determined that the account was used to disrupt the forum or for fraudulent purposes you WILL be banned.

I think that covers everything including sock puppetering.

So to emphasize per Dain there are NO multiple accounts.

ANYWay.. now that all of this is sorted. back to the actual topic at hand.. THE AUCTION...

Happy Bidding

Brion

Edited: 03/14/2010 at 03:30 PM by Brion Sohn

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:16:58 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Brion, maybe you should be in charge of the FAQ. You seem to have great suggestions that we all could benefit from.

eBay listings here

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:22:30 PM
Brion Sohn (11)

California
After all of this I probably could cover the auction section and the multiple account section.. unfortunately i have not been here long enough to understand all the issues that would do go on here.. I think I just happened to run into these because of the extent of the auction as I have noticed that most auctions on here are 1 maybe two items and not a whole bunch at one time. there are things that should be more specific or not.. 

The unfortunate thing is that if it is to be used as base reference for rules and actions then it really needs to be as specific as possible regarding things. From what I read most everything looks pretty good and is straight forward. That area with the multiple account just left a bunch of questions as it was indicated under a prohibited action not under a specific line item about multiple accounts. The auction issues originally were becasue there there really were no laid out rules for an auction on the site via the FAQ. So unfortunately (or fortunately) I pushed the bounds of the understood.  I can truly understand this because from what I can judge by reading over the forums the NA Auction section is not all that old.

I just hope all of this benefits the entire community in the end.

Again I am sorry if I frustrated anyone as well as the moderators in my quest to figure things out.

If you feel that I can be of benefit in working out a set of rules or FAQ adjustments please let me know. I will be happy to do so. It is the least I can do after causing sections to be questioned or added.

Brion

Edited: 03/14/2010 at 06:24 PM by Brion Sohn