NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak Ebay Auction Most Likley Fake

May 10, 2013 at 2:01:58 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: jonebone

We covered this a couple of years ago I believe. There's a ton of identical F2 carts out of Chile / South America, but the boxes were different.

That's why I said it was overvalued at $400... yet now it's $800. It's not nearly as rare as the price indicates but hype keeps on taking off.

Same thing with ISS 2000 on N64. Brazilian copies are identical, even the boxes. I think that one plateaued a bit though and has been priced within reason.
So you're suggesting south american nes boxes are different but that nes boxes are identical?

what about snes?

What are the differences on the nes boxes?

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

May 10, 2013 at 2:04:20 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Originally posted by: mrlemnas

Yeah, they could've been flipped on eBay for quite sometime too,aand haven't been. It has probably only been happening for the last year or so, so the inventory might not even be close to being tapped out yet. I mean, two years ago we weren't seeing a steady influx of these games, but they were still there. Now that people have figured out they can make cash on them, how many more can we expect?
They have been flipped on eBay for quite sometime... here's one of the first threads where it came up in June 2011 (2 years ago).

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&...

Another thread 2012

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&...

I'm not an expert on this, I just know I want no part of an F2 cart.

if chilean carts are identical or nearly identical, frankly I don't think its a big deal.   Chile had a population of maybe 15 million back then, its not a big country.   The more interesting question is what was going on in brazil.    There's almost as many people living in brazil as in the US.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 05/10/2013 at 02:04 PM by Bronty

May 10, 2013 at 2:10:56 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Once again... not an expert, just a reporter. As far as Chile not being a big deal, there's something going on in that country for sure. Gotuzzo showed up with all of the sealed NSTC GB units and a bunch of SNES / N64 games, and there's been a lot of F2s coming out of there for a couple of years now. I have no idea why Chile has so much NTSC stuff coming out of that region... but apparently it does.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 10, 2013 at 2:11:58 PM
GammaRay (129)
(Aaron M) < Meka Chicken >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Bronty

We covered this a couple of years ago I believe. There's a ton of identical F2 carts out of Chile / South America, but the boxes were different.

That's why I said it was overvalued at $400... yet now it's $800. It's not nearly as rare as the price indicates but hype keeps on taking off.

Same thing with ISS 2000 on N64. Brazilian copies are identical, even the boxes. I think that one plateaued a bit though and has been priced within reason.
So you're suggesting south american nes boxes are different but that nes boxes are identical?

what about snes?

There's a good pic of the Playtronic F2 box in this old thread.  Has Playtronic on the front and back.    
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

Edited: 05/10/2013 at 02:13 PM by GammaRay

May 10, 2013 at 2:13:32 PM
mrlemnas (5)
(J. H.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Originally posted by: mrlemnas

Yeah, they could've been flipped on eBay for quite sometime too,aand haven't been. It has probably only been happening for the last year or so, so the inventory might not even be close to being tapped out yet. I mean, two years ago we weren't seeing a steady influx of these games, but they were still there. Now that people have figured out they can make cash on them, how many more can we expect?
They have been flipped on eBay for quite sometime... here's one of the first threads where it came up in June 2011 (2 years ago).

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&thr...

Another thread 2012

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...

I'm not an expert on this, I just know I want no part of an F2 cart.

Thanks.

Yeah, I seen that thread, and knew they were at least known about. I was just saying in the last year it seems there have been a huge rise in the number of auctions and am more curious to how long it can be sustained. I agree with you in that I wouldn't want anything to do with a F2 cart at the moment. I'm just wondering if this is going to play out kinda like the Caltron.

May 10, 2013 at 2:19:51 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
The SNES is a little more complicated. Many SNES games released in South America were distributed by Playtronic. The boxes, manuals, and carts are all easily noticeable. The boxes and carts have Playtronic written in red and the manuals are black and white (I believe in portugese usually). The Chipset, however, is exactly the same.

Now, South America also got non-playtronic games. A perfect example of this would be ISS. The Playtronic version of ISS is not worth much at all in Brazil. However, many sellers have figured out that Americans pay top dollar for the non-playtronic ISS release, so it's shot up in price. The same thing happended in Chile with F2. The days of snatching F2s in Chile for nothing are long gone. Many chileans are well aware of the value it brings, at least online anyway. I'm sure you can still find some F2s at local shops for a bargain.

Also, I think it's important to note, that pirated carts are more prevalent than original releases in South America. If you're going to do business down there, make sure you know what you're doing.

May 10, 2013 at 2:20:46 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: GammaRay

Very helpdul thx

what about snes?

There's a good pic of the Playtronic F2 box in this old thread.  Has Playtronic on the front and back.    
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

May 10, 2013 at 4:38:06 PM
DrAfrokid (64)
(Mario Caruffo) < Meka Chicken >
Chile
Hi guys,

Sorry I don´t have much time now, I am in the lab working out. When I arrive home i will give us a full answer to your questions.

But one thing is for sure, the NES games that came to Chile are USA VERSION. The situation is really different to Argentina and Brazil, in both countries was pretty common the Family games (not licensed versions) and games produced locally, is a loooong talk mates.

Well we read later!

Regards from Chile!.

Visit my retrogaming blog! http://www.elblogdelafro.com 

My FT/FO Thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 10, 2013 at 6:06:03 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: DrAfrokid

Hi guys,

Sorry I don´t have much time now, I am in the lab working out. When I arrive home i will give us a full answer to your questions.

But one thing is for sure, the NES games that came to Chile are USA VERSION. The situation is really different to Argentina and Brazil, in both countries was pretty common the Family games (not licensed versions) and games produced locally, is a loooong talk mates.

Well we read later!

Regards from Chile!.

thank you!   I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

May 10, 2013 at 8:19:50 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee

Yeah, I was shocked that people kept paying obscene amounts for F2 after that discovery.  But hey, hype > facts.  

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

May 11, 2013 at 12:31:02 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
what facts? we know neither the amount sold in the US nor the amount sold in chile.

At the end of the day, I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion if its only chile. Chile has 5% of the population of the US. That supply will dry up pretty quick and not matter long term, one would think.

May 11, 2013 at 12:35:42 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Its fake. It was this auction was discussed on tinychat earlier this week.

Playas Guide Logo

May 11, 2013 at 10:48:37 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
and how do you know it was fake?

May 11, 2013 at 4:27:37 PM
DrAfrokid (64)
(Mario Caruffo) < Meka Chicken >
Chile
Hi guys,

As I promised I give an answer to your questions here.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Regards

Dr Afrokid

Visit my retrogaming blog! http://www.elblogdelafro.com 

My FT/FO Thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 05/11/2013 at 08:22 PM by DrAfrokid

May 11, 2013 at 8:17:55 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

and how do you know it was fake?

I found the auction which looked to be under the radar of most collectors. I pointed this auction out to another member of the site, who decided to go for the F2. A few other members on the site thought that the repro box was suspiciouse, and where zooming in on the photo using some program. Appartently they could see scan lines. If you want more details you feel free to pm me.

Playas Guide Logo

May 12, 2013 at 12:04:55 AM
rondy_ (91)
< El Ripper >
United States

hmmm Brazilian copies of ISS2000 have a big "L" in the box, manual and cart... nothing is identical.
Other south american copies at least have a US cart,  and the spanish box/manual that look almost the same.

Anyway, back on topic, a couple of months ago I pointed out many CIB copies of F2 selling at the same time

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&thr...

May 12, 2013 at 11:51:29 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
I just want to point out that it appears that Little Samson is marginally more common in Mexico than in the US.