Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Pokemon Yellow saving doesnt work on the AVS.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:01:36 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Just got hold of a copy of Pokemon yellow, and the saving doesnt work on the AVS for it.

Tried it on a toaster NES and a Top Loader NES and saving works. Whats interesting is when I go to load a save on the AVS it just starts a new game every time, but on the regular NES the save loads as expected.

Not sure what the issue is, who do I report this too?

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:02:32 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
email [email protected] and let them know.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:03:14 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
[email protected]

Keep in mind Brian was busy with PRGE, so might take a bit.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:04:07 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

[email protected]

Keep in mind Brian was busy with PRGE, so might take a bit.
WHats PRGE? Also, no worries, so long as the fix it eventually, not like the game isnt playable on my old NES... blury uglyness and all. I just got spoiled by the AVS so its so hard to go back.

Edited: 10/27/2016 at 10:04 PM by Oddzball

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:20:09 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Not only does it not load, it wipes the save completely.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45:28 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Portland Retro Gaming Expo

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45:31 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Hope they can fix it. I had plans to play this somewhat soon and would love to play in HD!

Edited: 10/27/2016 at 10:45 PM by mattbep

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:55:52 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
It might also be something's up with that particular cart, unless others confirm that theirs don't work.

I've had issues with one cart (Xexyz) while others report theirs work, and others have had a few issues with games (Bionic Commando and others) that work fine on mine.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:39:38 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

It might also be something's up with that particular cart, unless others confirm that theirs don't work.

I've had issues with one cart (Xexyz) while others report theirs work, and others have had a few issues with games (Bionic Commando and others) that work fine on mine.
Maybe, but I tried it on all the other consoles I have and it works, so I have to assume its the AVS. But like you said, could be the cart? I swear I have a portable NES clone console somewhere, wonder if it would even work on that.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:44:25 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I thought someone posted this bug toward the beginning of the AVS lifecycle and it was fixed in one of the firmware updates?

What firmware are you running?

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:01:52 AM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Works on my Clone console too. A Retrobit RetroDuo.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:03:06 AM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I thought someone posted this bug toward the beginning of the AVS lifecycle and it was fixed in one of the firmware updates?

What firmware are you running?

1.20 beta 6

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:07:26 AM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Patch notes say this;

"1.20 (betas)
palette selecting
FDS menu buttons
Gradius 2
FF7 / Pokemon Yellow?
pal gamepads"

Not sure if the ? means he wasnt sure if he fixed it, or he DIDNT fix it, or what?

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:26:03 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
So the bottom line is that it's not fixed.  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 10/28/2016 at 10:26 AM by KHAN Games

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:48:27 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
Originally posted by: Oddzball

Patch notes say this;

"1.20 (betas)
palette selecting
FDS menu buttons
Gradius 2
FF7 / Pokemon Yellow?
pal gamepads"

Not sure if the ? means he wasnt sure if he fixed it, or he DIDNT fix it, or what?

Brian has an FF7 cart, but not pokemon. So, in creating that patch for the FF7 cart, he probably assumed it might work for pokemon as well since the two carts use a similar board - they do look a lot the same. But obviously there's more to it with these cheapo chinese boards.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:35:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, someone should send him a Pokemon Yellow cart and he can probably look at it and update the firmware accordingly. Those Chinese hacks/bootlegs/whatever are so weirdly unpredictable it needs a tweak to the FPGA to get them to work.

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:22:32 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: TheCavalry

Originally posted by: Oddzball

Patch notes say this;

"1.20 (betas)
palette selecting
FDS menu buttons
Gradius 2
FF7 / Pokemon Yellow?
pal gamepads"

Brian has an FF7 cart, but not pokemon. So, in creating that patch for the FF7 cart, he probably assumed it might work for pokemon as well since the two carts use a similar board - they do look a lot the same. But obviously there's more to it with these cheapo chinese boards.

I dunno why everyone calls them cheapo chinese boards, they are actually really nice. Looks as good as any official NES board Ive seen for the most part. The yellow NES shell is actually really really nice too, and the label. I was actually very impressed with it overall.

Edited: 10/28/2016 at 07:31 PM by Oddzball

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:24:04 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

Yeah, someone should send him a Pokemon Yellow cart and he can probably look at it and update the firmware accordingly. Those Chinese hacks/bootlegs/whatever are so weirdly unpredictable it needs a tweak to the FPGA to get them to work.

I suppose if he needs a copy. Does anyone live near enough to him to drop one off? I guess if I get an email response from my support ticket, I could offer to send him mine to test out, so long as he sends it back and all.

Edited: 10/28/2016 at 07:26 PM by Oddzball

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:44:49 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
How does Pokemon Yellow look on the AVS anyways?

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:05:05 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
The issue is still not fixed. My FF7 cart plays slightly better, but still glitches out. This is my original video. I've made a few testing the RetroUSB. Patiently waiting for a fix.

​Not sure why some morons thumbs downed it. It highlights an issue, and is an uncut video showing it working fine on other consoles. How else are things supposed to get fixed if no one brings them up?

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Edited: 10/30/2016 at 09:06 PM by avlon

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:50:16 AM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
Originally posted by: avlon

The issue is still not fixed. My FF7 cart plays slightly better, but still glitches out. This is my original video. I've made a few testing the RetroUSB. Patiently waiting for a fix.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BcM..." width="500">>

​Not sure why some morons thumbs downed it. It highlights an issue, and is an uncut video showing it working fine on other consoles. How else are things supposed to get fixed if no one brings them up?

My FF7 cart plays just fine. But I bought the version that uses a famicom board with an NES adapter in the cart. I think the issue is those janky nes 72 pin boards. The QC on them seems really poor. It's the same thing with pokemon yellow. They are glob top boards with pirate mappers from who knows where. 

There is a user on NA who makes repros of FF7 who makes his own NES board using new parts and they actually work on AVS also. The issue is most likely with the board or chips/parts used by whoever made your game on aliexpress. I don't know that it will get fixed anytime soon. It seems the nature of Chinese pirate boards.

Edited: 10/31/2016 at 12:52 AM by TheCavalry

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:00:50 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Oh well... I guess I won't buy these games then. I'll stick with that Top 100 games multicart though.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:08:03 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Interesting corruption you have going there, only the background tiles and only some of those, are being shown incorrectly. The sprite tiles are not corrupted and it seems that your background tiles are showing sprite tiles!

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:53:15 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: TheCavalry

Originally posted by: avlon

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BcM..." width="500">>

My FF7 cart plays just fine. But I bought the version that uses a famicom board with an NES adapter in the cart. I think the issue is those janky nes 72 pin boards. The QC on them seems really poor. It's the same thing with pokemon yellow. They are glob top boards with pirate mappers from who knows where. 

There is a user on NA who makes repros of FF7 who makes his own NES board using new parts and they actually work on AVS also. The issue is most likely with the board or chips/parts used by whoever made your game on aliexpress. I don't know that it will get fixed anytime soon. It seems the nature of Chinese pirate boards.

Honestly, I've taken the cart apart, and the build quality looks great even from up close.  I can't see blaming the cartridge, since it wouldn't make sense in this case. I'd be inclined to agree if it worked on the original NES and the AVS, but not the Super Retro Trio since the SRT uses the cheap NOAC.  

Problem is that it works perfect on the NES and my Super Retro Trio but not the AVS.... so the problem isn't the cart, it's the AVS. In my video, you even see that it boots up on both on the first try, no wiggling, blowing, extra cleaning, ect, needed.  Further proof is that b6 firmware does improve the corruption situation somewhat.  I did offer to send lend my cart to RetroUSB (as did another user on Facebook) on the thread discussing this, but there was no response to that there.  The AVS was advertised to be superior to clones, and as close to 1:1 to a real NES as possible, so even if some weird mapper is used, as long as it works on the NES, then it should work on the AVS.  That's one of the reasons to buy an AVS for $185 as compared to a $15 clone, compatibility for all the random stuff that would work on a real console. 

If anyone is interested as where to I got the cart, here is the link to it: https://goo.gl/KyYha6...

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Edited: 10/31/2016 at 08:54 PM by avlon

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:10:48 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
I am finding it hard to help you, if you aren't able to see or willing to concede that the issue could be with your cart. My FF7 cart works on AVS. It works great. There is no corruption. The repro carts made by a user here are also reported to work great. How much more reporting and evidence is needed to narrow down the issue to your cart for you? Just because it looks great on the outside doesn't mean they didn't use poor quality parts, bad programming, corrupt data, etc... You can't see through the glob tops either way.

Also your understanding of why the AVS is superior to other clones is shortsighted. I understand that you're frustrated, but just because this one cart of yours works on your clone and not the AVS doesn't mean the AVS is technically inferior. The AVS is stated to be superior to other clones because it uses an FPGA to simulate the actual hardware instead of a NOAC solution that uses software emulation. This means that operationally it is much closer to the actual hardware than any other clone system currently available.

It is a more complex issue to fix than "well it works on my super retro trio, so make it happen retrousb!" And the source of the issue most likely goes back to your cart, like I have been saying from the word go.

Edited: 10/31/2016 at 10:29 PM by TheCavalry