Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda OOT DD Version Ramblings & What Ifs

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:08:42 PM
snickell304 (2)
< Crack Trooper >
West Virginia
Recently I saw where someone found where Nintendo made a 64 DD verison of Mario 64. Like most people I was shocked to see it and was glad something like that is out here instead of in the company's valut never to be seen again. This brought me to thinking what if there is a copy of OOT DD version out in the wild. If memory serves right, around the time Space world 97, I believe came out a 64 DD demo of OOT. Correct me if I am wrong on that. My thing is do you think it still exisits and think of how Zelda 64 ( not OOT) could have been. Belive me I love OOT, but when watching the early beta of the game really makes me wonder just how it really could have been if the 64 DD worked. Another thing is too how did Mario 64 DD leak out the public? I know at this point im just rambling but wouldnt it be awesome if 5 years down the road a beta copy of OOT DD poped up in the wild. Well one can hope, & thank you for reading this. 

-------------------------
Instagram updated daily: https://www.instagram.com/steveni...

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:50:22 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
I dunno, I mean I want to believe that Betas of OoT, N64 Eternal Darkness, N64 RE0, Resident Evil 1.5, Conker's 12 Tails, N64 Dinosaur Planet, etc. (and SimCity on NES) will leak someday, but I kind of doubt it.

The 64 DD could have been pretty good, problem was it was just another expense added to an already failing expensive console that is the N64. In my opinion, F Zero X Expansion made the best use of it. Addons typically don't do well, SegaCD, Sega32X, Jaguar CD(lol), Famicom Disk System even got bad due to piracy. Seems NEC's PC Engine is the only console that ever did the the addon right.

The N64, needed a cheap CD drive, not a pseudo second cartridge slot with a Real Time Clock and internet Modem. Even with a cartridge and disk combined they only have 128MB compared to 650MB. It was a fool's errand.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:29:57 PM
luke9511 (0)

(Ronald Jones) < Tourian Tourist >
Tennessee
correct me if i am wrong but wasn't OOT master quest supposed to be the DD version?

EDIT found it! http://zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_o...

http://vgcollect.com/luke9511...

Edited: 08/24/2014 at 06:30 PM by luke9511

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:32:01 PM
ThoseWeirdGames (4)

(George ) < Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
It's too late of a game. Mario 64 was a launch title and had a chance to actually be tested on the DD format. The DD is absolutely legendary in just how many games planned to, and never did, utilize it, and I don't ever want to get my hopes up about other possible titles being out there. OoT was a big business venture and took way too long to make for the DD to still be considered by development's end. Could be wrong though. They did still seek to use the DD for Majora's Mask, after all, though how early in conception this was dropped is unknown. Not giving it a good shot.

Collecting all the interesting things. In for fun!

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:07:28 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: standigz

I dunno, I mean I want to believe that Betas of OoT, N64 Eternal Darkness, N64 RE0, Resident Evil 1.5, Conker's 12 Tails, N64 Dinosaur Planet, etc. (and SimCity on NES) will leak someday, but I kind of doubt it.

I've been following the beta scene a long, long time, and NEVER did anyone think that we would ever see California Raisins The Grape Escape in existance. Maybe with that one we're lucky that it only took until 2003 for it to appear. Some of these other ones might take 30 years. Or maybe it really will be never. Many N64 games still have amazing amounts of beta material inside of them that can be unveiled with a Gameshark. I remember Ocarina of Time definitely has an entire audio track missing from the final game that can only be found with a Gameshark. Goldeneye has SO much beta stuff inside of it too that is all still there if you have a Gameshark. It has always disappointed me that it seems they actually did a pretty good job of clearing all of the beta material out of games like Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. I always really hoped that one day some data for Magikoopa or the Feather would be dug up with a Gameshark but it never happened

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:39:09 PM
Fluffy (11)
(Fluffy is asleep) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I doubt these betas will ever show up, but I hope Earthbound 64DD shows up.honestly I'd rather have that than Mother 3.