Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Report this seller. Horrible.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:10:18 PM
5200man (0)

< Little Mac >
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142152145...

This guy is outright selling download access to his private server for ROMs. What the heck? I've seen people sell modded Xboxes, and there MAME Pi boxes that they have built, but those actually require some effort and an exchange of a physical item.

I don't know how long this has been taking place on eBay, but it's ridiculuous. I thought ebay had automatic filters for this trash. They stopped me from selling obsolete dev hardware so you think this would be filtered.

35 sold at $30 a pop!! Trash!

Edited: 01/23/2017 at 03:16 PM by 5200man

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:16:00 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
For anyone who plans to report this item, I believe it would fall under the following:

Listing practices > Other listing practices > Digitally delivered goods.

-------------------------

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:19:04 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Wow, that takes nerve, selling server access via a link. Talk about growing money on a tree. To think he's made north of $1,000 from it already.

www.videogamesage.com...

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:20:35 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Aww snap, missed another quick cash opportunity.

Just ridiculous.

Haves     |     Wants

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:21:30 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Lol, that's pretty funny, dude already made like $1000 from it if you look the number sold. Who are these fucking morons buying this stuff though?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:22:25 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: pegboy

Lol, that's pretty funny, dude already made like $1000 from it if you look the number sold. Who are these fucking morons buying this stuff though?

More than likely people who think they're getting games they can just "click to play" and don't actually know what a ROM is.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:28:52 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
What's really ridiculous though? The fact that he's selling it or the fact that people are buying it

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:30:07 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

What's really ridiculous though? The fact that he's selling it or the fact that people are buying it

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:05:57 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

And how ebay allows this

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:08:38 PM
Retrostage (36)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: XYZ

And how ebay allows this

From my recent experience, eBay doesn't actively search for things to take down. It has to be reported first to raise any flags to them, usually.

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:17:24 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
I can't see the listing, but can someone explain what exactly is so wrong about this?

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:34:25 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

I can't see the listing, but can someone explain what exactly is so wrong about this?

guy is selling 35 GB of roms for 30 dollars. And they're selling

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:40:58 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Gone!

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:35:02 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Wouldn't it be worth it for some people though to not have to collect those roms themselves? I mean, I get that he is making bank off something that people could do for free if they know how, but I'm not sure how it's not a value-added situation in the eyes of the buyer, and therefore reasonable. Maybe I'm missing something, but the listing seems more amusing than enraging, especially if he isn't misrepresenting the situation at all.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:29:41 PM
BlueBart (0)
< Little Mac >

Wouldn't it be worth it for some people though to not have to collect those roms themselves? I mean, I get that he is making bank off something that people could do for free if they know how, but I'm not sure how it's not a value-added situation in the eyes of the buyer, and therefore reasonable. Maybe I'm missing something, but the listing seems more amusing than enraging, especially if he isn't misrepresenting the situation at all.

+1

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:10:27 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
This hasn't been taken down, yet if I accidentally post a manual in "Video Games" instead of "Video Games > Manuals, Inserts & Box Art" my listing gets taken down almost immediately, with a suspension for enough offenses. Just terribly poor discretion

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:09:56 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

It's a pretty clear cut case of copyright infringement. Only the copyright owner is allowed to duplicate and sell their intellectual property unless there is a license for someone else to do so or implicit agreement.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:48:39 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

It's a pretty clear cut case of copyright infringement. Only the copyright owner is allowed to duplicate and sell their intellectual property unless there is a license for someone else to do so or implicit agreement.
Sure; but that isn't why they are feigning outrage in this instance. Considering all the other wildly accepted IP infringement that takes place here. 

Edited: 01/24/2017 at 07:49 AM by SwiftFrost

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:59:33 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

Sure; but that isn't why they are feigning outrage in this instance. Considering all the other wildly accepted IP infringement that takes place here. 

It's the blatant act of selling someone's IP. Only the IP. Nothing physical. Not even the service of flashing it onto a reproduction cartridge. The seller is selling only the part that is 100% not his to sell.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:21:37 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

It's the blatant act of selling someone's IP. Only the IP. Nothing physical. Not even the service of flashing it onto a reproduction cartridge. The seller is selling only the part that is 100% not his to sell.
He is selling access to his website, where the ROMs are presumably neatly organized in some fashion. It is no different then the plethora of other ROM hosting sites with subscriptions out there.

And while we are on the topic, let's not pretend like anyone cares about the cost of parts and labor for such things. They are paying for the ROM. Without the ROM the rest is next to worthless. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:32:42 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
FYI, the listing has been removed from eBay; whether by the seller or eBay proper is not clear, but nonetheless - it's gone.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:23:33 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

He is selling access to his website, where the ROMs are presumably neatly organized in some fashion. It is no different then the plethora of other ROM hosting sites with subscriptions out there.

eBay should not allow the same stuff that unscrupulous web sites allow.

"And while we are on the topic, let's not pretend like anyone cares about the cost of parts and labor for such things. They are paying for the ROM. Without the ROM the rest is next to worthless. "

That's a little backward. Paying someone for an illegal ROM I can download (illegally) somewhere else for free; that doesn't make a lot of sense. I understand that some people are ignorant to how to get those things safely, so I guess that's what they're paying for. Still, it's not OK for me to sell ROMs that I downloaded illegally, and it's not OK for that eBay seller to do it.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:11:06 PM
Muthafodder (4)
(Mojo Man) < Meka Chicken >
United States
You should see the guys selling a "service" to remove parental controls on a Wii / 3DS.

Can't believe people would seek out a loon on eBay to do what Nintendo can.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_o...

214 sold and counting.