Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Pac-Man Contest ends Sunday, 4/10/16 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:26:47 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

photo 0D29D236-5359-433F-8CE8-E726552F0988.jpg

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:50:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Correction. I have the licensed tengen version. Ms. PAC is my namco version.

That was the one that I had as a kid. I'm not sure why Namco waited until 1993 to release their own version when the only difference seems to be the title screen.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:24:50 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Krunch,that Pac-Man drawing is epic!

Edited: 04/04/2016 at 08:26 AM by gutsman004

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:46:42 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Krunch,that Pac-Man drawing is epic!
Hahahahahaha I saw it very early in the morning and didn't think anything of it....I just went back after seeing your post and yeah that is awesome hahaha!!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:29:34 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Ya, controls on my namco licensed cart are shotty. The same can be said for the tengen version of ms. Pac man. 

Maybe pac man just wasn't made for play on the NES  

Do you have a NES Advantage? Using the joystick instead of a d-pad seems might make the controls feel a little more like the arcade version.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:03:48 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Maybe this is sacrilegious but I don't enjoy playing Pac-Man all that much. :/ That said I've played enough of it to put up at the very least a respectable score. Gonna shoot for 50K. It doesn't look like I'll have a lot of playtime opportunity this week but we'll see.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:18:35 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Maybe this is sacrilegious but I don't enjoy playing Pac-Man all that much. :/ That said I've played enough of it to put up at the very least a respectable score. Gonna shoot for 50K. It doesn't look like I'll have a lot of playtime opportunity this week but we'll see.

I used to play Pac-Man all the time as a kid since the pizza place down the road from my mom's house had a Pac-Man cocktail table, which I thought was the best thing ever. I don't play it very often anymore, but I always think of going to Mr. Gatti's Pizza as a kid and wanting to sit at "the Pac-Man table" whenever I do.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:22:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I used to play Pac-Man all the time as a kid since the pizza place down the road from my mom's house had a Pac-Man cocktail table, which I thought was the best thing ever. I don't play it very often anymore, but I always think of going to Mr. Gatti's Pizza as a kid and wanting to sit at "the Pac-Man table" whenever I do.

I used to play Pac-Man and Galaga all the time at various places. I remember a Black Eyed Pea restaurant in Richardson having a Galaga cocktail table that I spent many of my parents' quarters on.

Edited: 04/04/2016 at 11:22 AM by gutsman004

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:27:07 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I had a score of 49k+ last night,but I wanted 50k so I didn't take a picture. I'd have gotten it if not for the bad controls. They remind me of when I first discovered MAME and I was playing Pac-Man using my keyboard.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:42:30 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
I am going to be able to put in some serious time since I will be finishing DQ-VIII tonight, I started it pretty well exactly a month ago, it is time to wrap it up.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:12:07 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I had a score of 49k+ last night,but I wanted 50k so I didn't take a picture. I'd have gotten it if not for the bad controls. They remind me of when I first discovered MAME and I was playing Pac-Man using my keyboard.

I swear that I must be missing something since they seem fine to me. I don't play Pac-Man very often, so it's not like I've gotten used to them. I noticed the Tengen Ms. Pac-Man seemed to have a bit of lag, but I assumed that was either because I was playing on an emulator that week or due to the Pac-Booster feature.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:31:39 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Is anyone playing on the Pac-Man tengen cart and is experiencing control issues? I really don't feel anything wrong.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:20:26 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Is anyone playing on the Pac-Man tengen cart and is experiencing control issues? I really don't feel anything wrong.

Depends on what people mean by "wrong." I'm playing on the unlicensed Tengen cart, and it feels okay. The controls definitely could stand to be a bit tighter, though, it seems to me. I definitely find myself cursing the pad from time to time, as it doesn't always feel like my mistake (it often is, of course, but not always). 

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:25:52 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Depends on what people mean by "wrong." I'm playing on the unlicensed Tengen cart, and it feels okay. The controls definitely could stand to be a bit tighter, though, it seems to me. I definitely find myself cursing the pad from time to time, as it doesn't always feel like my mistake (it often is, of course, but not always). 
That is what I am using as well.....there does not seem to be a huge issue but I can feel it sometimes where you could have sworn you pressed a directional button but it doesn't register.

It must just be a timing issue, like you are not close enough to the corner or something.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:26:04 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
When I go to make a turn, I just hold the d-pad down in the direction that I want to go right before I get to the opening and that's worked fine for me. I've always played that way (even with the arcade version), so that might be why I'm not noticing any control issues.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:28:41 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

When I go to make a turn, I just hold the d-pad down in the direction that I want to go right before I get to the opening and that's worked fine for me. I've always played that way (even with the arcade version), so that might be why I'm not noticing any control issues.
Makes sense, it gurantees you are going to move in that direction as opposed to trying to time it.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:19:09 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

The Twin Galaxies record is 878,480 points, so it will be interesting to see if anyone can come close to that this week.

Mother of God. ......

Yeah, that score is bonkers. I feel like I'm not the best at wrapping my head around the patterns, so I just freestyle till the ghosts get me. 

I think second place was 140k, so that might be a little more realistic.

OK that makes me feel waaaaaay better.

I think it's a new personal best, but at least I hit the distant second place mark.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:27:46 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

I used to play Pac-Man and Galaga all the time at various places. I remember a Black Eyed Pea restaurant in Richardson having a Galaga cocktail table that I spent many of my parents' quarters on.

I don't care for it arnpoly  
"why would I want to play a candy ass game like PAC-man ? PAC mans for girls and chumps"-mr awesome

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:58:46 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Winner winner chicken dinner  

i do have an advantage but unlike its name it rarely is. Plus the joystick on mine is kinda busted? Idk it sticks and kinda grinds into the top left corner : /

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:04:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

i do have an advantage but unlike its name it rarely is. Plus the joystick on mine is kinda busted? Idk it sticks and kinda grinds into the top left corner : /

Mine is buried in the closet somewhere, but it seems like the joystick is a bit loose on it too. I had one as a kid and it seems like they were made that way. I want to give it a try sometime this week, but I doubt I'm going to beat my 142k score.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:14:30 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Mine is buried in the closet somewhere, but it seems like the joystick is a bit loose on it too. I had one as a kid and it seems like they were made that way. I want to give it a try sometime this week, but I doubt I'm going to beat my 142k score.

Woooo! Nice score bearcat!

you definitely have to input your move early. 

I think ink it's safe to say I won't be getting near that score

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:54:33 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Scored updated:

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 03:18 PM by Uncle Meat

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:59:20 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Thanks! I do have a Pac-Man icon for my arcade genre championship, so I figured that I'd better put up something decent this week.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:18:01 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

Thanks! I do have a Pac-Man icon for my arcade genre championship, so I figured that I'd better put up something decent this week.

And that you did sir.......and that you did.......

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:28:45 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

And that you did sir.......and that you did.......

I might be retired, but it's good to know that I'm still able to be somewhat competitive.