Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Talespin Contest ends Sunday, 5/25/14 at 11 PM NA time

May 18, 2014 at 2:05:58 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  Air Marshal Bimmy here to give you your latest assignment in what is sure to be an un”bear”ably dangerous mission.  It’s time to take to the skies and play as a very special guest this week, Baloo the loveable bear from the Jungle Book.  I hate to be the “bear”er of bad news, but it seems a bunch of air pirates are trying to make off with his cargo of honey and bear claws and it’s up to you to stop them.  So, come out of hibernation, hop in that biplane, get your “bear”ings straight, and show them whose boss!  The fighting will be fierce, the action may get a little “grizzly,” and if you’re not careful, you may find yourself going into a “Talespin” (don’t roll your eyes or facepalm at me, you know these puns are funny.  Just grin and “bear” it).  Anyway, here are the rules for Talespin, a “beary” good game (okay, I’ll stop, just put down the torches and pitchforks):

• Play until you lose your last life.  Your life counter will read 0 when you lose your last life
  • Pause the game quickly when you lose your last life.  If Baloo parachutes off the screen, you will no longer be able to see your final score.  Make sure to keep an eye on the number lives you have remaining
  • No point racking allowed
  • Take your picture on the Pause screen
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 5/25/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 05/26/2014 at 04:27 PM by bimmy_lee

May 18, 2014 at 10:39:29 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Tips on this game? I will get some play time this week.

May 19, 2014 at 9:38:36 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

Tips on this game? I will get some play time this week.
We should summon Robin Mihara to clue us in on this one.

May 19, 2014 at 11:03:55 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I have only played this one for about 5 minutes to test it. Seems fun! But I could use pointers too I'm sure. =)

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

May 19, 2014 at 12:34:34 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I will be in on this for sure!

May 19, 2014 at 5:24:29 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Ah, a game I don't have yet... Emulator time I guess...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

May 19, 2014 at 7:26:33 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I have only played this one for about 5 minutes to test it. Seems fun! But I could use pointers too I'm sure. =)

I'm in just about the same boat. Bought this cheap at Game Exchange last year. The little time I spent playing on it,I think I got to stage 3 or 4. Just not big into Disney games.

May 19, 2014 at 8:37:05 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Definitely one of Capcoms weaker licensed attempts. Prior to last night, I had only given the game 5 minutes after purchasing it 4-5 years ago, and I'm a huge shmup fan. Last night I played it and blew through it in about 40 minutes. It's actually pretty easy, scoring is a little odd too. You only get points from collecting the fruit. Money bags and chests go towards your currency which you use to upgrade your ship between stages.

Also, FYI, the final stage has 2 bosses. If you kill the first boss but forgot to pause the game and take a shot of your score, don't fret. Just pause once the second fight begins.

May 20, 2014 at 1:57:19 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Okay, so how everybody feel about the fact you can infinitely rack points? Should we simply forbid anyone to intentionally rack points?

May 20, 2014 at 2:21:04 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Okay, so how everybody feel about the fact you can infinitely rack points? Should we simply forbid anyone to intentionally rack points?

I havent tried this one yet, what is the point racking mechanism?

Does stuff just infinitely respawn sans timer?

I'm really not a fan of untimed point-racking, since I think it is a completely joyless experience.

May 20, 2014 at 2:35:24 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Low scoring contest anyone? I think it would be fun for a shooter considering the challenge is to not do exactly what you are supposed to.

Edited: 05/20/2014 at 02:37 PM by gutsman004

May 20, 2014 at 2:36:47 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I'm really not a fan of untimed point-racking, since I think it is a completely joyless experience.

You can make enemies respawn and there's no timer. It completely kills the purpose of a contest, indeed.

I can think of two options, one being to make a rule stating you can't intentionally rack points, or turning this into a low score/furthest progression contest.

Edited: 05/20/2014 at 02:37 PM by guillavoie

May 20, 2014 at 2:38:02 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Low scoring contest anyone? I think it would be fun for a shooter considering the challenge is to not do exactly what you are supposed to.

I personally find this to be the most funny option. If I had to vote, I'd vote for low score.

Edited: 05/20/2014 at 02:38 PM by guillavoie

May 20, 2014 at 2:38:23 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Definitely low score.

May 20, 2014 at 2:43:22 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yeah, low score furthest progression.

Especially since you buy upgrades in a way that requires increasing your score, I think.
(so least upgraded and furthest progression is higher skill than low progression huge score)

May 20, 2014 at 2:46:35 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Yeah, low score furthest progression.

Especially since you buy upgrades in a way that requires increasing your score, I think.
(so least upgraded and furthest progression is higher skill than low progression huge score)

This would have been rad, but unfortunately, there's points AND money in the game. Regardless, lowscore/furthest progression is the way to go.

May 20, 2014 at 2:50:30 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
There's still a problem though, we can't see our score while playing...

May 20, 2014 at 3:29:15 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Doesn't it display the score after each stage? If so,just take a picture of your score at that time and progression is the same as the original rules.

May 20, 2014 at 4:08:39 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Doesn't it display the score after each stage? If so,just take a picture of your score at that time and progression is the same as the original rules.
Does it show the actual stage cleared?

I wouldn't have any problem with this personally.

May 20, 2014 at 4:08:45 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

You can make enemies respawn and there's no timer. It completely kills the purpose of a contest, indeed.

I can think of two options, one being to make a rule stating you can't intentionally rack points, or turning this into a low score/furthest progression contest.

Unless I missed something, I thought the only way you could score points in this game was through collecting the fruit you find in each stage and the bonus stages.  When I was playtesting the game, it seemed like I was only getting points from the fruit and not the enemies.  Are there specific enemies that you can score points on?

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

May 20, 2014 at 4:09:10 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
You can get fruits from killing enemies.

May 20, 2014 at 4:18:26 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Ah, I gotcha. I didn't get that many fruits from killing enemies when I was playing through, so I would have overlooked that I guess low score with furthest progression will be the way to go unless everyone wants to put in a no point racking rule and stick with a high score contest.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

May 20, 2014 at 7:35:55 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Score: 182,300
Life Bonus: 32 x 2,000 = 64,000
Final Score: 246,300

I tried to one life clear the game today but wound up dying twice.  Once in the final stretch of Stage 4 due to the ghosts, and another from the Stage 5 boss.  That boss is legitametly tough due to Baloo's large hitbox and the relatively cramped area you're forced to fight him in.

Edited: 05/24/2014 at 01:12 PM by Balloon_Kid

May 20, 2014 at 9:39:16 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

So, here's a few issues I see with low scoring.  One, you'll have to pause the game to get your final score, and the pause screen shows no indication of what stage you're on.  After the second boss dies, you get a quick bit of storyline, and then an ending screen that displays none of your stats and forces you to reset the NES.  Also, you can EASILY go through this game w/o getting a single point.  Money bags and treasure chests net you nothing but money to increase your power ups between stages.  Fruit is 100% optional and extremely easy to avoid.

I see the reasoning to avoid going for a high score, because as boring and tedious as it can be, random enemies infinitely respawn and can drop the ? mark chests that contain fruit inside them. 

Some good points for sure.  Do you think a highscore contest with a no intentional racking rule would work best?

Please, everyone involved, give us your input. We need to clarify the rules ASAP.

May 20, 2014 at 9:43:25 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I'm all for a high score contest with no intentional point racking. I feel a low score contest would work, but it may be difficult to determine what stage everyone is on. I say we forge ahead with a high score/no point racking contest.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!