Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are you reading?

Jun 27 at 3:54:38 PM
BazookaJoe (4)
(Joe ) < Meka Chicken >
Arizona
Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson. I highly recommend any work by Isaacson. He's a genius.

-------------------------
My Wants! | Add me on Switch: SW-3356-2808-2889
 ​

Jun 28 at 2:33:10 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: TheFinder

Finished listening to Fahrenheit 451 and Starship Troopers. Really enjoyed both of them. Highly recommend. Both give some pretty interesting ideas to think about.

I'm starting to read Les Miserables for the first time. I've already read The Hunchback of Notre Dame, so I've experienced Hugo's writing style. I love his descriptions and characters, but I hate his lengthy side chapters. We shall see how I far in this tome.

I'm also listening to She: A History of Adventure by H. Rider Haggard. Classic late 1800s adventure novel. Simple, fun read.

Started The Forever War.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on it when you finish this book. I loved Stormship Troopers, and The Forever War is supposed to be a sort of response to it. Also, Heinlein really enjoyed Haldeman's book, so I'm interested in reading it at some point.

I tried Starship Troopers 20+ years ago and failed to finish it.  I'll return to it at some point but TFW grabbed me immediately.  Safe bet most anyone would enjoy/love it.
Finished it.  Highly recommend to anyone.

Starting up The Green Mile since I have to head out of town and I prefer to take trashed paperbacks on those trips instead of something from my collection.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jun 28 at 3:09:44 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Becker - Regulation V3.3.

Jul 06 at 11:03:36 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished Everything's Eventual and started up The Green Mile

Anyone read the Malazan stuff? I read so many mixed things, about how hard it is to start, but how great it gets if you stick with it. But there's like 20+ and counting of them...

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 07/06/2019 at 11:03 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 07 at 6:33:04 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
I've been reading The Book of Books by Melvin Bragg. It's a historical play by play of the New King James Bible from it's inception to becoming the standard bible and the historical impact it has had on western civilization. Really well written and fascinating read.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 07/07/2019 at 06:33 PM by kguillemette

Jul 07 at 8:54:01 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
I am currently reading the "The Complete Works of Josephus "..

Jul 07 at 8:54:58 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: kguillemette

I've been reading The Book of Books by Melvin Bragg. It's a historical play by play of the New King James Bible from it's inception to becoming the standard bible and the historical impact it has had on western civilization. Really well written and fascinating read.

The KJV is a Protestant Translation of the Bible ,it is the “standard Bible”in Protestant church(es)..

Edited: 07/07/2019 at 08:58 PM by NES Connoisseur

Jul 07 at 10:28:44 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Spider-Man comics.

Jul 08 at 2:36:24 AM
ForDarkseid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Started American Psycho. I heard it was the most vile thing of all time. Gonna see what all the fuss is about.

Jul 08 at 10:15:31 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Finished listening to Fahrenheit 451 and Starship Troopers. Really enjoyed both of them. Highly recommend. Both give some pretty interesting ideas to think about.

I'm starting to read Les Miserables for the first time. I've already read The Hunchback of Notre Dame, so I've experienced Hugo's writing style. I love his descriptions and characters, but I hate his lengthy side chapters. We shall see how I far in this tome.

I'm also listening to She: A History of Adventure by H. Rider Haggard. Classic late 1800s adventure novel. Simple, fun read.

Started The Forever War.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on it when you finish this book. I loved Stormship Troopers, and The Forever War is supposed to be a sort of response to it. Also, Heinlein really enjoyed Haldeman's book, so I'm interested in reading it at some point.

I tried Starship Troopers 20+ years ago and failed to finish it.  I'll return to it at some point but TFW grabbed me immediately.  Safe bet most anyone would enjoy/love it.

Starting up The Green Mile since I have to head out of town and I prefer to take trashed paperbacks on those trips instead of something from my collection.

I'll definitely pick it up sometime this summer.

Also, I just want to comment on how fast you crank out books! I know you have twins at home since you commented on the thread I made last year about my wife and I having twins, and I have no idea how you find the time to read unless you read at crazy fast speeds! I tip my hat to your reading skills, sir!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 08 at 10:17:35 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: NES Connoisseur

I am currently reading the "The Complete Works of Josephus "..

Interesting. Why are you reading Josephus? I've read some as a history teacher in order to give my students some perspective on the Roman destruction of Herod's Temple, but that's it.

To the Finder...

Jul 08 at 10:20:47 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Still working on Les Miserables. Man, that book is a tome. I'm enjoying it, though.

Finished listening to She: A History of Adventure. It's a classic adventure story, so if you like that sort of thing, I recommend it.

Started listening to The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I had already read The Lost World  by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, so I was intrigued to see Burroughs's interpretation of a similar premise. I've not been disappointed so far. Already halfway done (though, admittedly, it is quite short). I'm already planning on listening to the two sequels: The People that Time Forgot and Out of Time's Abyss.

To the Finder...

Jul 08 at 11:50:22 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Started The Forever War.

I'll definitely pick it up sometime this summer.

Also, I just want to comment on how fast you crank out books! I know you have twins at home since you commented on the thread I made last year about my wife and I having twins, and I have no idea how you find the time to read unless you read at crazy fast speeds! I tip my hat to your reading skills, sir!

Yeah I try to find bits of time here and there, and sometimes I'm lucky and my three kids will play with one another in the backyard while I can sit on the deck and read.  The tradeoff is that it I haven't been doing a lot of other things I normally do.  Haven't watched a movie in a month, only series I've been watching is sporadically with the wife, and I have been putting off my next major SNES playthrough for about two weeks now.

I would say I am a fast reader though.  Should have The Green Mile done by tomorrow.

Jul 08 at 12:16:30 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
North Carolina
@The Finder ..I am a lover of Early Church History ,and Josephus is one of the few Jewish/Non-Christian historians that lived within the first 100 years of the beginning of the Church that gives an insight to what Early Christianity was like ..While remaining impartial to Christianity ..

Edited: 07/08/2019 at 12:17 PM by NES Connoisseur

Jul 08 at 4:48:14 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: NES Connoisseur

Originally posted by: kguillemette

The KJV is a Protestant Translation of the Bible ,it is the "standard Bible"in Protestant church(es)..

Yes, that is what i meant.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 11 at 3:05:12 AM
Fryer64 (45)
(Ryley C) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I recently read every chapter of We never learn/We can't study in a few nights. Anime had me wanting to see what happens and it was a fun read! There was a chapter that was so funny I literally almost got sick from laughing so hard. (To be fair, it was late and things become more funny when you have less sleep). Otherwise I try to keep up with attack on titan, but that's a once a month thing and it's getting to the point where major stuff is happening and I really don't wanna wait so that's been a bit annoying lol.

Jul 11 at 12:00:32 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

Originally posted by: themisfit138

I am going back and truly reading the classics that we were required to read in middle/high school. Currently on the Iliad and Odyssey. Just finished up the Jules Verne books. 
Best Jules Verne novel = Michael Strogoff. Trust me

Starting Michael Strogoff now. Looking forward to it.

To the Finder...

Jul 11 at 2:34:36 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished The Green Mile and started King's On Writing. I'm hoping to glean something out of it to help out my own stuff.

Also started up one of these guys:

https://www.goodreads.com/user_ch...

Edited: 07/11/2019 at 02:36 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 12 at 4:25:02 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I bought that and Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird at the same time, but read her first. It was very motivating. You know, sub out bird for game, and you're all set  .

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jul 12 at 4:29:00 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Oh, and I'm halfway through On Stranger Tides. Excellent book, even if they did decide that it was a good idea to put on the back of it that it inspired that horrid Disney Pirates movie. No relation, so far as I can tell.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jul 13 at 4:26:44 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
The Creature from Jekyll Island

Jul 20 at 12:32:47 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished A Feast For Crows. While I'd agree that it's probably the weakest entry in the series so far, I still liked it a lot. There had to be some sort of relief from the escalation of the first three books, even if only temporarily. And one of the storylines is very alluring.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)

Starting up The Ocean at the End of the Line before I get to Dance with Dragons.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Edited: 08/11/2019 at 11:41 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 20 at 12:34:24 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I've started reading a new book of essays on Metal Gear Solid titled "Okay, Hero". Really solid writing and MGS bendg among my favorite game series it's a really interesting read.

Jul 20 at 1:42:59 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
Originally posted by: Gloves

I've started reading a new book of essays on Metal Gear Solid titled "Okay, Hero". Really solid writing and MGS bendg among my favorite game series it's a really interesting read.

This is some peoples reflections on the series and not official?

Jul 20 at 10:14:11 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: cartman

Originally posted by: Gloves

This is some peoples reflections on the series and not official?

Correct. Similar to any of the video game books you see people announcing here on NA.