Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Monthly Contest: November - Super Metroid and Super Mario AS - The Lost Levels (CLOSED) Winners - Andy_Bogomil & Webhead123

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:03:50 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Since you've gotten such good times, I'm curious... do you bother beating Ridley in the first encounter or just do the harder fight later? Lately I've been beating him in that first encounter and then go into the fight at the end of the game underpowered and used charge shot to win. Don't know how much time that really saves me, if any.

I'm not sure what you mean by 1st and 2nd encounter? Initially at the start of the game? There I just get hit by his tail as fast as possible to get out of there. I don't even fire a shot. I think I am actaully confused because I didn't even realize/remember that fighting him at the start of the game makes a difference, if that is what you are referring to. 

The main parts of my path were as follows: Morphball/missle/bombs, spore-spawn/super missle/charge/spazer, kraid/varia suit/high-jump/speed booster/wave/ice, phantoon/gravity, Botwoon/Draygon/Space Jump/Plasma, Ridley, Mother Brain. Obviously a few more super missles, missles and energy in there. I think I had 31% collection rate. 

Notable skips from my first run would be: Springball and Crocomire/grappling beam. 

-------------------------
Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:07:39 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Yeah, from what I heard, beating him in the first encounter at Ceres Station makes him weaker during the last fight. So I 'beat' him every time during that encounter under the assumption it helps me later. It either does, or I've just gotten a lot better at Ridley since doing that because he used to kick my ass constantly.

I think I've only gotten the Springball like once. Never skipped over grappling beam, though. I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:33:07 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Super Metroid - Maridia, 2nd Save Point

First picture shows how far I got in the game.  Second picture shows what/how many items I have at this point.  Just in case it matters, I have 185 Missiles, 45 Super Missiles, 30 Super Bombs, and 3 maxed out Reserve Tanks.  I was hoping to make it to at least Draygon, but oh well.  I wish I hadn't started playing this game earlier last week because I love Super Metroid.  I've played through this before, and without a doubt, I consider this the best game on the SNES.  I would have kept playing more, but I have to be to work in 6 hours, haha.  This game is simply that good.  I might be able to advance a tiny bit more before the deadline, but I'm satisfied with how far I got in the short amount of time I played this game.  I plan on finishing this after the contest ends.

Super Mario All-Stars - Lost Levels - 240,850

Haven't played this game since the late 90s and I think I did pretty good on one life.  Got all the way to 3-4 and died stupidly because I didn't jump over the lava pit when taking the bottom path early in the level.  For some dumb reason, I thought I would keep sliding past it, haha.  Decided to keep playing after this attempt and beat the stage as little Mario.  Dammit, I guess I should have shrunk myself early in the stage, haha.  Not going to make another attempt at this because 1.) my nerves were shot after this run, and 2.) I'm just not familiar enough with this game to make more runs.  I definitely could have gotten a better score if I had hopped on more Koopa Troopas instead of blasting them with a Fire Flower.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:25:11 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

Yeah, from what I heard, beating him in the first encounter at Ceres Station makes him weaker during the last fight. So I 'beat' him every time during that encounter under the assumption it helps me later. It either does, or I've just gotten a lot better at Ridley since doing that because he used to kick my ass constantly.

I think I've only gotten the Springball like once. Never skipped over grappling beam, though. I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I was so set on the Springball when I first started playing. So much so that I figured I needed to get the grappling beam (since there were no exploits). After I realized I could ditch both those items I was able to cut about 20 minutes from the in-game timer. Another adjustment I made near the end was to skip the Screw Attack. It made the Ridley fight a bit harder as I missed out on a set of missles, super missle, and the SA itself, but again, it cut another few minutes off the time. After these adjustments and just playing better in general I was able to cut my 1:17 down to a 0:50. I'm gonna try once or twice more tonight to see if I shave a few minutes off. I will likely post a video of the run at some point. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:58:07 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Updated my time for Super Metroid. 0:49. Will be probably get one run of Mario just to post a score.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:01:41 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
Damnit... I was at work for over 12 hours yesterday and didn't want to try a run when I got home. Leaving for work at around 7am and getting home around 9pm sucks.

Maybe tonight.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:37:54 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Yeah, I'm not sure why I was so set on the Springball when I first started playing. So much so that I figured I needed to get the grappling beam (since there were no exploits). After I realized I could ditch both those items I was able to cut about 20 minutes from the in-game timer. Another adjustment I made near the end was to skip the Screw Attack. It made the Ridley fight a bit harder as I missed out on a set of missles, super missle, and the SA itself, but again, it cut another few minutes off the time. After these adjustments and just playing better in general I was able to cut my 1:17 down to a 0:50. I'm gonna try once or twice more tonight to see if I shave a few minutes off. I will likely post a video of the run at some point. 

Dont you need screw attack to get out of a section of norfair? or somewhere near the end? I thought that was the only thing to break the walls you had to jump through.

Ive played half of this game twice. Once a long time ago never finished. And then this month and my save erased because the cart glitched when I inserted it once. Ive enjoyed the game alot. Not really trying for a time. Just trying to beat it for the first time ever. Still a little bit left.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 11/30/2016 at 05:39 PM by quest4nes

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:38:55 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
I believe there is an alternate path you can take.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:40:22 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I believe there is an alternate path you can take.

I remember one section where you had to have screw attack to kill the enemys to get out of the room. I guess that was the path where you get screw attack anyway so youd definitely have it.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:50:45 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
I can't think of enemies you have to screw attack to open a door. I normally don't go through most of Ridley's Hideout/Lower Norfair. Or kill most of the enemies when I do.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:16:20 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Maybe there was another attack that worked. But didnt work with plasma.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:45:17 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
There is a room that is pretty much designed for you to use your SA right after you get it (probably what you're thinking of Quest). It has those yellow space pirates on the wall and a false ceiling off camera when you go in the room. Your SA will destroy the yellow pirates and the ceiling, but you can get past it if you space/wall jump and lay a power bomb in mid-air. You can kill the yellow pirates with 3 super missiles each (or the power bomb + 2 supers). It's a lot of resources without the SA but it's passable without.

This is ironically dubbed "The Worst Room in the Game' in the speed running community.

Edited: 11/30/2016 at 07:46 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:05:28 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Added my SMB LL score to the first post.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:28:57 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
Added my Mario All-Stars score to my post.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:58:30 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Posted scores for both on page 1

I have never beaten super metroid before. Wasnt going for speed really. Just trying to beat it. Was lost as shit for the last 1/3 of the game.

I didnt really get as many runs at mario allstars lost levels as I wanted. I got my best score with luigi. I always die at 2-4 if Im super luigi or mario. Too big to fall into that hole. Stupid mario 1 mechanics.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 12/01/2016 at 12:00 AM by quest4nes

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:28:27 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Updated. I'll do the final leaderboard update now

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131