Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I have a dream... and other changes at retrousb for 2013

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:59:59 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
I have a dream for a project FAR bigger than anything I have done, but that project is not yet public (unless you happen to be in chat at the correct time).  Right now I mostly need development time so I have some business changes for this year:

*  I increasingly see repros as something that people with no engineering knowledge or skills do only to make money, and it adds nothing new to the community.  I won't bring up specific examples or it will only look like insults.  Additionally more people care about low cost than new parts but I guess that should be expected.  Maybe I am just an old man now, get off my lawn.  To get more time to work on my dream project I will be shifting away from repros for both NES and SNES.  Any repros out of stock now are not likely to return, and most other repros will disappear as I run out of parts.  Homebrews and flash carts will not be affected.  Yes I have accepted this means a pay cut for the year!

*  My venture into SNES repros was interesting but not something I actually care about which is why I never expanded to more games.  I only collect for NES so my future projects will be more NES focused.  Hopefully people will recognize I actually care about the system and buy from me instead of some cheapo chinese guy who gets the A and B buttons backwards.  Again dropping future SNES products will be a pay cut but I simply have no nostalgia for the system.  Also means I have no plans for anything Sega.

*  Hopefully I will also be shifting from a BTO to an in stock system.  As you may have seen from posts on NA, people can't read.  Answering the same questions already answered on the website is a big waste of time and having everything ready immediately should slightly help that.  The down side will be items going temporarily available more often, especially in the first few months as I build up the stock.  Inventory management is not something I am good at...

Before doing the dream project I need to finish some others:  

*  You may have heard about Scoreboard, which recently started development again.  We started in 2009 so its about time to get everything done!  Mostly right now the work is figuring out how to sell it, and how much should be redesigned for future devices.  WIth multiple people doing different sections the project frequently gets put on the back burner.  

*  The rumors of HDMI NES are also true, and other than debugging and compatibility fixes has been finished for a few months.  Samsung hates me right now!  This board solders to the existing PPU for a 100% digital video path.  Because it is all digital 480p it cannot get any of the analog garbage like jailbars or jaggies.  Going back to composite is painful now!  Did anyone figure out I was one of the top loader hoarders?  Chinese New Year will likely get in the way so completed systems should be for sale around April.

*  Scoreboard will also be integrated into the next NES PowerPak, also probably delayed by Chinese New Year.  The last time I started to redesign the PowerPak it turned into the SNES version, but my current board is even better than that plan was.  With other NES flash carts in development I believe mine will have unique features, and it should work on crappy clones.  Again NES is the system I care about instead of just another product to throw out.  Yes this might be an Osborne moment...

After all that I get to do my dream project which will take at least a full year.  It will either be amazing or I will be bankrupt and have to shut down everything!

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:08:17 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I hope for success.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 03:09 AM by udisi

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:24:10 AM
MyNameIsEarl (76)
(Earl ) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Good luck with everything, can't wait to see what all you put out.

-------------------------
Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, bad things happen.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:28:41 AM
##### (15)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Australian Capital Territory
Hope everything works out the way you want it to. Cheers..

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:33:00 AM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
that's great man, all i like buying is nes anywayz

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:39:58 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Oh Brian how I love thee. HDMI NES

eBay listings here

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:52:08 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
The day the HDMI NES is announced and I've already completely switched to CRTs... S-Video would have done me fine.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:55:16 AM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
Ha! I just ordered some NES games from you today. I'm very interested and looking forward to your future projects. I just hope that this doesn't mean I can't eventually get a cart of Battle Kid 2 without paying $200+ for one of the LE copies.

Butts Make Farts.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:55:25 AM
JKeefe56 (55)
(Jim K) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Sounds awesome! Good luck with everything!

This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:23:31 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Clyde The Jackal

I just hope that this doesn't mean I can't eventually get a cart of Battle Kid 2 without paying $200+ for one of the LE copies.

Battle Kid is a homebrew, not a repro. He will still sell homebrews.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 04:23 AM by Mog

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:31:30 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
So wait, about your plan for the repros, if the games you had listed an expected availability date for won't be coming back in stock, will you be releasing the unreleased ROM dumps to the public? If you didn't, it would mean that people would have to pay absurd aftermarket prices to play NTSC-U Gimmick or NCC 1991, since there are no public dumps of either of those. These were games I was looking forward to purchasing for a while, too, so it would really sting if in order to play them I'd have to pay $100+ for an aftermarket copy.
That, and can we expect to have RetroVision, USB CopyNES, ReproPak MMC1, or Super NESnake 2 back in-stock some time soon? I've had the money set aside for them for a very long time, and the FF1+2 CIB repro project Segertar is running needs the MMC1 repropak to succeed.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 04:32 AM by Phins

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:40:29 AM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
@ BunnyBoy, I'm interested in a couple of the blank boards (no rom chips just mapper) the one you used for Buzz and Waldog. Is this something that you will still have in stock for a little while? If so would you be willing to sell?

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:08:52 AM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
HD NES sounds awesome and you have my business!

In regard to the powerpak revision, can those of us who already have one, send it to you for an update for a fee?

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:31:29 AM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
So does that mean the Powerfest 94 repro release is off now?

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:44:49 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Sounds great to me, best of wishes!

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:45:48 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Cool Bunnyboy I can't wait to see what you got planned good luck and will see you in chat

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:51:30 AM
Segertar (125)
(T. F.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Phins

So wait, about your plan for the repros, if the games you had listed an expected availability date for won't be coming back in stock, will you be releasing the unreleased ROM dumps to the public? If you didn't, it would mean that people would have to pay absurd aftermarket prices to play NTSC-U Gimmick or NCC 1991, since there are no public dumps of either of those. These were games I was looking forward to purchasing for a while, too, so it would really sting if in order to play them I'd have to pay $100+ for an aftermarket copy.
That, and can we expect to have RetroVision, USB CopyNES, ReproPak MMC1, or Super NESnake 2 back in-stock some time soon? I've had the money set aside for them for a very long time, and the FF1+2 CIB repro project Segertar is running needs the MMC1 repropak to succeed.

I have hacking up fami boards for the project.

Good luck bunnyboy. I can wait to see what you have instore for us this year!

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:52:21 AM
cosmicjim (47)

(cosmic jim) < El Ripper >
United States
HDMI nes has me tingly

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:50:40 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
It's a beautiful thing.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 11:51 AM by KHAN Games

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:53:31 AM
Segertar (125)
(T. F.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
OH. MEH. GAWD.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:09:58 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Bunny, all those changes some awesome! good luck!!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:13:31 PM
OakTea (6)
(Chris K) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Will you still be continuing your Retro-USB products, specifically the controller-to-USB adapters?  I've bought a couple of your NES adapters, and I'm in the market for a couple Genesis and SNES adapters...I was planning on putting them off for a few more months, but is there a risk of those two specifically going permanently out of stock?

Now buying loose GB/C games!  Feel free to send a PM :)
124/506 GB games (loose) - 24.51%

My WTB thread - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/... <== Looking for 20 games released in 1990!
My WTS thread - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/... <== Help me get rid of my doubles!

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:23:11 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
HDMI NES sounds awesome! Keep up the great work bunnyboy, glad to see you as a pioneer among an increasingly competitive market.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:46:37 PM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
HDMI NES? Yes please.

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:54:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Nice work Bunny, look forward to the HDMI NES and new project!

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...