Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Messed up NES games. What's wrong?

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:11:05 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
I think we've all come across a game that just won't work anymore no matter how many cleanings, but some of us have come across games that boot up, and then weird glitchy stuff starts happening. I've had things range from Paperboy having invisibility powers(along with most other things in the game) to Paper Mario giving me the infamous "debug screen of death." Today I came across a copy of The Immortal in minty condition that has a stuttering graphics and sound problem. The game plays, but the graphics keeps sliding down the screen and hiccuping back to where they are supposed to be only to slide down once more. Every time that happens the music hiccups too. Anybody have any idea how to fix stuff like this, or are these cartridges doomed? Also what caused the game to break like this, it has no wear or signs of abuse whatsoever.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:17:33 AM
TN (73)
(TN TN) < El Ripper >
United States
take a look at this thread, it might help

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

-------------------------

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:37:29 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
California
Ok, so The Immortal doesn't work well on LCD TV's, and works ok on CRTs. Looks like it's likely that was my problem. Thanks!

Edited: 03/12/2009 at 05:38 PM by Armageddon Potato

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:05:52 PM
CUSTOM NES GUY (90)
(Jared CNG) < King Solomon >
Georgia
Glad you fixed it. I havent come across a game yet that I couldnt get working. Probably been through over 1,000 games so far. These things are tough.

Facebook.com/Customnesguy   All my custom NES's to date-http://youtube.com/user/jayrod2...

I thought I was an overpacker, that thing could have survived a nuclear explosion.  -zeldaboy

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:20:31 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
California
I have a least 10+ dead games, that are totally dead or have some other strange issues. 

Edited: 03/12/2009 at 07:21 PM by Armageddon Potato

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:49:56 AM
absolutsyd (5)
(Andrew Brown) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
My rampart has very badly glitched graphics. Opened the cart up and the pins are literally rusted. Unbelievable. Looks like it was outside for awhile or something, but the label is nice and shiny.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:39:11 PM
RetroHacker (15)

(Ian Primus) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Sometimes you'll get a cart that plays fine, but the graphics are screwed up. The Nintendo uses two serperate ROM chips in the cartridge - one for the game program (PRG ROM), and one for the graphics (CHR ROM). They have their own sets of pins. (Which is also why the carts have so many pins...). If the game's program ROM is making good contact, while the graphic ROM isn't, then the game will still play, but the graphics will have odd lines through them (data bus problem), or be composed of the wrong tiles (address bus). In many cases, a good cleaning helps, but occasionally I run across a cartridge that is too badly damaged to save.

-Ian

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:57:13 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
I got a copy of Dragon Warrior from a service center that looks like it has never been played, but is totally glitchy...I think I put it in with the rest of my games by accident :-/

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:55:08 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
I've been through probably 4-5k games and have only found 1 game that I couldn't get to work at all (...stupid Last Ninja...). I cleaned that sucker like 10 times and it was clean as could be, but still wouldn't load >.<. I've also come across one SNES game I couldn't get to work with the same problem. These games are very tough in general.

On a side note, I have the glitchy screen with a couple of the games on my Powerpak. It's most likely (if not definitely) bad ROMs, but I haven't checked into them too much yet.

Let's Go Penguins!

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:12:56 PM
JJAAMMEESSNNEESS (332)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(James S) < Bowser >
California
i had 2 games that did not work for crap
then i cut my lockout chip after that they booted up first try

See how I made my way into the HOS!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...