Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Twin Cobra Contest ends Sunday, 9/10/17 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:19:29 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Originally posted by: mbd39

The refurbished NES controller buttons are too stiff. It must be those cheap Chinese replacement parts. I'm gonna return for a refund.  

Darn it.  
The solution for this is murky.
Maybe a good contact cleaning will get your old NES controller back in business?

It did. I took apart and cleaned my original controller and it's much more responsive now.

Excellent.
No one but gluttons for punishment should use bad, stiff controllers at the contest!

I had a controller issue during Double Dragon 2 week. I ended up taking the controller apart and cleaning it. I realized that the d-pad rubber piece was ripped on one side around the contact button. I ended up flipping it to be L or R instead of UP (I think) so that I could continue to play. And now that you've reminded me of this, I'm not sure I fixed it! Or did I switch controllers? HMMMM.... I lost my dogbone controller as well! Bad topic!  

-------------------------
On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:25:03 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: ninjistar

Excellent.
No one but gluttons for punishment should use bad, stiff controllers at the contest!

I had a controller issue during Double Dragon 2 week. I ended up taking the controller apart and cleaning it. I realized that the d-pad rubber piece was ripped on one side around the contact button. I ended up flipping it to be L or R instead of UP (I think) so that I could continue to play. And now that you've reminded me of this, I'm not sure I fixed it! Or did I switch controllers? HMMMM.... I lost my dogbone controller as well! Bad topic!  

Since I got the everdrive, I am only using the Phantom System "genesis like, but stiffer, less responsive" pads and it feels awesome!
That reminds me I need to redo my Paperboy 2 run on the everdrive!
It will be glorious to play it with that terrible pads.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:49:23 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

Excellent.

Since I got the everdrive, I am only using the Phantom System "genesis like, but stiffer, less responsive" pads and it feels awesome!
That reminds me I need to redo my Paperboy 2 run on the everdrive!
It will be glorious to play it with that terrible pads.

I've been meaning to really invest some time into testing out and then buying a really GREAT NES controller. Something that works great for me. I believe it was Arnpoly or Gutsman who suggested that the dogbone controller was really great for them. I misplaced mine when I moved. It will turn up eventually, but not in time for this season! I looked at buying them online and yikes... I think I'd really enjoy a Genesis-style controller for NES!

I too have Paperboy 2 on my list to play through again. It is sitting in a small stack of games I intend to play. I put them right next to the TV so that I am constantly reminded I have work to do!

[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:58:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Marble Madness and Contra are probably the best games to test a controller. If there are any issues with the directional pad, these games will find them.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:07:45 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I specifically ordered controllers awhile ago because I needed a more responsive pad for BTDD

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:09:26 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I specifically ordered controllers awhile ago because I needed a more responsive pad for BTDD
What did you pick up?

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:10:32 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

What did you pick up?

Just OEM ones.  I feel like I go through pads pretty badly, and cleaning them is hit or miss

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 09/11/2017 at 04:11 PM by Brock Landers

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:13:17 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Blah, had placed in 9 straight games until I had a non-working cart. Should of just toughened up and played on the keyboard

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:15:43 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
If Bea can get 170k in Marble Madness using a keyboard, you can play Twin Cobra.

I still can't believe she did that.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:19:52 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

If Bea can get 170k in Marble Madness using a keyboard, you can play Twin Cobra.

I had wrist pain from literally 5 minutes (a single attempt) of playing on one

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:22:21 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I had wrist pain from literally 5 minutes (a single attempt) of playing on one

Keyboard control with the arrow keys actually isn't bad for simple arcade games with simple controls such as Pac-Man, Burger Time and DKjr.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:32:14 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

To be fair, I have been playing emulated games using a keyboard since 1997.
So I am pretty used to it now. I even prefer it to a pad in lots of cases.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:40:43 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

To be fair, I have been playing emulated games using a keyboard since 1997.
So I am pretty used to it now. I even prefer it to a pad in lots of cases.

I just tried playing MM with keyboard and I couldn't even beat the second level. I can beat the game every time with a NES pad.

Maybe it depends on what you are used to. Marble Madness is all muscle memory that comes from hours of practice and my hands are trained for a NES controller not a keyboard.

Edited: 09/11/2017 at 04:41 PM by mbd39

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:16:16 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

The refurbished NES controller buttons are too stiff. It must be those cheap Chinese replacement parts. I'm gonna return for a refund.  

Darn it.  
Maybe a good contact cleaning will get your old NES controller back in business?

It did. I took apart and cleaned my original controller and it's much more responsive now.

Excellent.

What about pad replacement for the A and B buttons? I tried some off eBay and they are mushy as hell. I need that snap back feel, you know when they "click". 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 09/11/2017 at 05:17 PM by skinnygrinny

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:53:59 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Just look at this beauty.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:25:36 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Darn it.  

Excellent.

What about pad replacement for the A and B buttons? I tried some off eBay and they are mushy as hell. I need that snap back feel, you know when they "click". 

Hey skinny, have you played Clu Clu Land? I predict that you will think that this game is torture, lol.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:29:36 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Darn it.  

Excellent.

Hey skinny, have you played Clu Clu Land? I predict that you will think that this game is torture, lol.

Trust me... torture is more enjoyable than Clu Clu Land.
But I will still put an effort at it during the weekend.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:54:47 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Darn it.  

Excellent.

Trust me... torture is more enjoyable than Clu Clu Land.
But I will still put an effort at it during the weekend.

I usually enjoy puzzle games but this one leaves me cold. I can't get used to the controls. It's really more arcade than puzzle anyway.