Star Keeper New NES Homebrew

Feb 13 at 11:19:30 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: fcgamer

Originally posted by: Tulpa

What do you play? When people choose money over their roots, their initial supporters, etc, it annoys me. Generally quality goes down as well. Btw, you make the guy out to be a pauper or something, did you talk to him?

Did you? I have his words. "I did not find enough buyers and supporters in china" Seems pretty straightforward

If we went by your standard, no musician would ever get away from their shitty local bar. But that comparison is irrelevant to his game. Because the game would be the same whether he sold here or there. The quality wouldn't go down. In fact, getting the game out to strangers who don't know you and have no personal stakes can make the quality go up, as opposed to friends and family who will say that they love whatever crap you put there just to be nice.

Haha, good try on it all. Laughable at best.

I keep forgetting that you're a contrarian. If anyone else likes something, it must suck.

Feb 13 at 11:42:54 AM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

What do you play? When people choose money over their roots, their initial supporters, etc, it annoys me. Generally quality goes down as well. Btw, you make the guy out to be a pauper or something, did you talk to him?

Did you? I have his words. "I did not find enough buyers and supporters in china" Seems pretty straightforward

If we went by your standard, no musician would ever get away from their shitty local bar. But that comparison is irrelevant to his game. Because the game would be the same whether he sold here or there. The quality wouldn't go down. In fact, getting the game out to strangers who don't know you and have no personal stakes can make the quality go up, as opposed to friends and family who will say that they love whatever crap you put there just to be nice.

Haha, good try on it all. Laughable at best.

I keep forgetting that you're a contrarian. If anyone else likes something, it must suck.

Nope, I'd rather venture to guess that I just have a much wider world view than you do    In the end, I don't ask people to agree with me, rather I just ask them to independentally think...is it so difficult?

The fact is, you and I both know the same information about this guy, well we know what the guy states, but that is taking him at his word, whether that is a wise idea or not, we could debate it until we were blue in the face.

I stand by my words it is shitty to develop and market a product that your friends, family, and countrymen might enjoy, but cannot enjoy, since you formatted it eclusively to a more lucritive foreign market.  You can feel otherwise, taking the stance that the guy just was trying to put lobsters on his plate, fine by me.  With that said, my stance is quite a valid one, and not just some contrarian bullshit.  Hell, if I wanted to make bogus reasons to insult the guy, I could bring up politics, but I haven't and won't, aside from the bit I discussed with arch angel.  

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Feb 13 at 11:59:49 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Nope, I'd rather venture to guess that I just have a much wider world view than you do    In the end, I don't ask people to agree with me, rather I just ask them to independentally think...is it so difficult?

The fact is, you and I both know the same information about this guy, well we know what the guy states, but that is taking him at his word, whether that is a wise idea or not, we could debate it until we were blue in the face.

I stand by my words it is shitty to develop and market a product that your friends, family, and countrymen might enjoy, but cannot enjoy, since you formatted it eclusively to a more lucritive foreign market.  You can feel otherwise, taking the stance that the guy just was trying to put lobsters on his plate, fine by me.  With that said, my stance is quite a valid one, and not just some contrarian bullshit.  Hell, if I wanted to make bogus reasons to insult the guy, I could bring up politics, but I haven't and won't, aside from the bit I discussed with arch angel.  

I think it is a bit of cognitive dissonance to suggest that you have some wider world view but then go on to suggest that providing access to a game in your local market is somehow inherently more noble than selling it globally.

We aren't talking about some kind of humanitarian effort, where you might make a greater impact by serving those around you in an environment in which you're familiar and can recognize waste more effectively.

We're talking about a video game.

His countrymen not getting to enjoy this particular game leaves them no worse off, really. 
Foreigners getting to enjoy his game doesn't provide them any advantage over his countrymen, either.

Rather, he sold his game to a more lucrative market, bringing in more money that he will then spend and invest locally.

So if you want to split hairs about "the best" thing he could have done for him and his countryment -- selling globally and making more money would almost certainly be it.

It doesn't align with reality to suggest that he and his friends and family are not objectively better off with him having sold his game to the higher paying foreign markets.

Edited: 02/13/2019 at 12:00 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 13 at 12:09:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I stand by my words it is shitty to develop and market a product that your friends, family, and countrymen might enjoy, but cannot enjoy, since you formatted it eclusively to a more lucritive foreign market.  You can feel otherwise, taking the stance that the guy just was trying to put lobsters on his plate, fine by me. 

That wasn't my argument. I didn't say he was trying to make big bucks. From his words, his choice was make a game in the NES format or no game. Yes, I'm taking him at his word, because he's just a homebrewer, and we're all familiar with the challenges homebrewers have in getting a game out there.

Just because you can cite a dozen companies that can still make Famicom games doesn't mean that this guy has those same resources.

That's why I suggested you step up. If you have connections and resources to help him get his game out there on Famicom, log off and do it. Prove him and us wrong. Hell, my AVS can play Famicom and I like shooters. 

Maybe then your rants won't be dismissed.

Feb 13 at 12:14:01 PM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I think it is a bit of cognitive dissonance to suggest that you have some wider world view but then go on to suggest that providing access to a game in your local market is somehow inherently more noble than selling it globally.

We aren't talking about some kind of humanitarian effort, where you might make a greater impact by serving those around you in an environment in which you're familiar and can recognize waste more effectively.

We're talking about a video game.

His countrymen not getting to enjoy this particular game leaves them no worse off, really. 
Foreigners getting to enjoy his game doesn't provide them any advantage over his countrymen, either.

Rather, he sold his game to a more lucrative market, bringing in more money that he will then spend and invest locally.

So if you want to split hairs about "the best" thing he could have done for him and his countryment -- selling globally and making more money would almost certainly be it.

It doesn't align with reality to suggest that he and his friends and family are not objectively better off with him having sold his game to the higher paying foreign markets.
Your argument and analysis goes back to my initial post.  The guy sold out.  He chose $$$ over his countrymen.  You yourself stated in your last post about more lucrative markets compared to selling to friends and family, actually Tulpa said something about it too, about friends saying the game was good even if it sucked to avoid hard feelings.  We've come full circle; I said the guy was a sell out for not selling to his own people, social justice warriors on Nintendo Age tried to take me to town, and in the end everyone agrees the guy did sell to a more lucrative market than his own anyways.  What else can be said, why you guys trying to argue about it, when we've all agreed more or less on the situation, despite some of us putting it in friendlier terms than others?

-----

Feb 13 at 12:18:58 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
people get worked up about a lot of things, huh? makes me think a lot of my success isn't me doing better, it's the delicate folks folding under their own mental stress.

to the OP: yay! Glad to see this finally came out and good luck with sales... Wait. 2013? are you telling me you sorry sacks are arguing about something from ancient times? PAGE MODERATOR!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Feb 13 at 12:21:17 PM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

I stand by my words it is shitty to develop and market a product that your friends, family, and countrymen might enjoy, but cannot enjoy, since you formatted it eclusively to a more lucritive foreign market.  You can feel otherwise, taking the stance that the guy just was trying to put lobsters on his plate, fine by me. 

That wasn't my argument. I didn't say he was trying to make big bucks. From his words, his choice was make a game in the NES format or no game. Yes, I'm taking him at his word, because he's just a homebrewer, and we're all familiar with the challenges homebrewers have in getting a game out there.

Just because you can cite a dozen companies that can still make Famicom games doesn't mean that this guy has those same resources.

That's why I suggested you step up. If you have connections and resources to help him get his game out there on Famicom, log off and do it. Prove him and us wrong. Hell, my AVS can play Famicom and I like shooters. 

Maybe then your rants won't be dismissed.

Dude, I've reached out to dozens of homebrewers to get their games on Famicom format, even willing to donate money and resources, with no willing takers.  If you want eamples, PM me about it, I'm glad to talk.  I'm not the sort that talks out the ass.

Likewise, I'm not ranting.  I just stated that the guy was a sell out, and basically everyone here came to the conclusion the guy did NOT sell in his market, due to trying to market his game more, i.e. to get money for his product.  Isn't that what the difference between sell out and not is, sell out chooses cash, not chooses his or her fans and those that supported him or her initially?  If this guy grew up playing NES, Id have no issue, but he even stated about playing FC, then why he opted not to release it on FC.  It's shit.  If he said, "Hey guys, I want to release it on FC but the r&d isn't there yet", I could understand, it's sadly a true thing.  But his statement, just crap, like most mainlanders prolly just to capitalize and line the pockets.  

-----

Feb 13 at 12:30:02 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
  I just stated that the guy was a sell out, and basically everyone here came to the conclusion the guy did NOT sell in his market, due to trying to market his game more, i.e. to get money for his product.  Isn't that what the difference between sell out and not is, sell out chooses cash, not chooses his or her fans and those that supported him or her initially?  

Show me where he had fans and supporters initially in China. Because he said he didn't. 

The people who supported him initially were right here on NintendoAge. Pretty enthusiastically, I might add.

Edited: 02/13/2019 at 12:32 PM by Tulpa

Feb 13 at 12:30:12 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Dude, I've reached out to dozens of homebrewers to get their games on Famicom format, even willing to donate money and resources, with no willing takers.  If you want eamples, PM me about it, I'm glad to talk.  I'm not the sort that talks out the ass.

Likewise, I'm not ranting.  I just stated that the guy was a sell out, and basically everyone here came to the conclusion the guy did NOT sell in his market, due to trying to market his game more, i.e. to get money for his product.  Isn't that what the difference between sell out and not is, sell out chooses cash, not chooses his or her fans and those that supported him or her initially?  If this guy grew up playing NES, Id have no issue, but he even stated about playing FC, then why he opted not to release it on FC.  It's shit.  If he said, "Hey guys, I want to release it on FC but the r&d isn't there yet", I could understand, it's sadly a true thing.  But his statement, just crap, like most mainlanders prolly just to capitalize and line the pockets.  

I'm sure that people's perception of your attitude on the subject when it comes up on the forum has nothing at all to do with their lack of interest in working with you...

Also, when you use words like "it is shitty" with regards to him publishing foreign NES vs domestic Famicom it sounds like a rant, whether you want it to, or not.

You are getting wrapped around the axel that this guy has committed some kind of injustice against his home market.

Frankly, it is ridiculous.

The guy's choice has had no negative impact on his market, or your market.
The game being made on an NES cartridge has not somehow made the lives of his countrymen (or the lives of Famicom collectors) any worse.

Get some perspective and get over it.

Feb 13 at 12:37:58 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
This is such a Dave style argument lol

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 13 at 1:02:18 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

You're just jealous that you can't see his vast world view. His perspective is so wide that it encompasses your perspective, dude. I'm not sure that your brain can comprehend it. My brain is hurting just considering the fact.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 13 at 1:16:11 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

You're just jealous that you can't see his vast world view. His perspective is so wide that it encompasses your perspective, dude. I'm not sure that your brain can comprehend it. My brain is hurting just considering the fact.

I'm sure you're right.

It is quite the complex world view to call us all social justice warriors and gripe about PC culture, while simultaneously railing on the issue of a person choosing to sell outside their region versus to buyers within their own region as if it is some kind of great social injustice...

Feb 13 at 2:21:55 PM
toma (0)
(Tomas Guinan) < Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
Ok, this is all starting to make my head hurt. I'm a Canadian dev. If I limited myself to Canada before selling worldwide, I'd be horribly crippling my sales potential. I don't think that means I've "sold out my own country", it just means I'm looking at the bigger picture.
I had 31 Canadian backers out of 447 during my last Kickstarter. I appreciate each and every one of them, but if Canada used a different cartridge format than the rest of the world, I'd be catering to the other 416 backers first. The market for Famicom format is a niche within a niche. Famicom versions of games sell for dirt cheap compared to their NES counterparts, even when dealing with the classics. It's just where the market is.

Anyway...

http://www.spoonybard.ca

Feb 13 at 3:10:02 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: toma

Ok, this is all starting to make my head hurt. I'm a Canadian dev. If I limited myself to Canada before selling worldwide, I'd be horribly crippling my sales potential. I don't think that means I've "sold out my own country", it just means I'm looking at the bigger picture.
I had 31 Canadian backers out of 447 during my last Kickstarter. I appreciate each and every one of them, but if Canada used a different cartridge format than the rest of the world, I'd be catering to the other 416 backers first. The market for Famicom format is a niche within a niche. Famicom versions of games sell for dirt cheap compared to their NES counterparts, even when dealing with the classics. It's just where the market is.

Anyway...

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ooc..." width="500">>

Dont try to make sense of FCgamer’s arguments, you are absolutely correct. 

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 13 at 3:32:56 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

I'm sure that people's perception of your attitude on the subject when it comes up on the forum has nothing at all to do with their lack of interest in working with you...

As one of those "dozens" it is pretty easy to pass on dealing with someone who only cares about ramming his own views down others' throats, and who cannot have a real discussion beyond incessantly re-stating some narrow minded thoughts on things. You have no respect for what other people are doing, the choices they make or their own values, so why would anyone bother with any reply other than a "thanks, but no thanks"? Thread highjaking like this is just a big old PSA for brewers, new and old, to stay away.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 13 at 4:19:58 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

You have no respect for what other people are doing, the choices they make or their own values, 
But his world view!

Feb 13 at 4:25:41 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
If I read Dave's posts beyond the first, or when directed by others to do so, I might understand what that means. I don't have that much time to waste on nonsense!

Edit: And to be fair, I don't really need to read his posts at this point. We all know what he's going to say, and the thoughts behind it already. It's when he starts to badger and bully projects and people that we as a community need to step in.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 02/13/2019 at 04:30 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Feb 13 at 4:33:41 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
As another one of those dozens the help offered was "reuse / repurpose old cases from the one generation of pirate Famicom games..." If there are actual resources, where can I buy 50+ usa quality Famicom shells landed for <$5 each, or who is going to give me the $5-10k to get a mold made?

Feb 13 at 4:38:14 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Yeah, the "offer" comes with very specific parameters. The idea of using sub-par pirates as donors was a turn off, so I said I'd consider using my own licensed donors that I have laying around. I remember there being resistance to this. Some absurd philosophy about "needing" to use pirate ones.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 13 at 4:45:35 PM
VGS_Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
How could it be considered "authentic FC" if it ISN'T a bootleg shell? I mean, c'mon guys.  

Videogamesage.com

Feb 13 at 9:04:22 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Uses of services, selling of items, provisions-- what ever is in the works, if a person has to do so in another market, then so be it. I really don't see a problem with that.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Feb 14 at 4:06:09 AM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

As another one of those dozens the help offered was "reuse / repurpose old cases from the one generation of pirate Famicom games..." If there are actual resources, where can I buy 50+ usa quality Famicom shells landed for <$5 each, or who is going to give me the $5-10k to get a mold made?
Just today I sent out a package to someone abroad.  51 multicarts, most were older generation, $130 shipped.  That comes out to $2.54 per cart, and these are carts that typically no one wants, literally.

-----

Feb 14 at 4:16:05 AM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Yeah, the "offer" comes with very specific parameters. The idea of using sub-par pirates as donors was a turn off, so I said I'd consider using my own licensed donors that I have laying around. I remember there being resistance to this. Some absurd philosophy about "needing" to use pirate ones.
The discussion you guys were having above was great, but there's a lot of misinformation in it.  So I'll try to clear up a bit of it, and then we can continue discussing the matter further.

The idea about using pirate shells (and also potentially repurposing pirate pcbs) stemmed from the following points:

1.  Pirate carts are generally cheaper to purchase than licensed games, aside from cheap baseball / mahjong titles and such.

2.  The vast majority of pirate shells from the late 80s and early 90s are on-par with anything coming out of Japan at the time.  Even Konami PCBs turned up INSIDE pirate cart shells.  A lot of the carts are almost 1:1 quality wise.  

3.  Because a wider variety of games can be obtained cheaper, so can the variety of pcb types.

4.  Official products aren't being destroyed and repurposed, this was an issue many people had with later NES repros, before new parts were all being used.

As I mentioned in another post, I just shipped out 51 carts today, abroad, at the unit price of $2.54 per cart.  Although I don't remember the details of my previous offer, the idea was that I could gather needed carts at a cheap cost, get them into the hands of someone who could then make homebrew Famicom versions, producing a quality product with little up front cost.  Then see how things go with collectors and gamers, if there is an interest or not, and if there seems to be somewhat of an interest, then adjust to larger batches and molds later on, similar to how homebrew NES scene grew.

I was and still am even willing to split (perhaps even take on full costs for the repurposed carts / shipping) on a line of games, in echange for just one of the finished product, shipped to my USA address so no one would have to pay rediculous international shipping prices.  From where I stand, that's a pretty generous offer, just to see if the project is viable or not.

I feel that the Columbus Circle cart shells look and feel of a quality material, but the cart shells being used in some other homebrew / indie Famicom games (the smaller shells) are not of a good quality, modern low-quality Chinese shells.

The quality of the shells I am offering are pretty nice.  

-----

Feb 14 at 4:21:09 AM
VGS_fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
On another note, not producing Famicom versions just leads to things such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lan-Mast...

Years back someone had made and was selling unofficial Famicom Battle Kid carts as well, I remember, weeeey back.

I also know some people who have been putting homebrew / indie games onto repro carts, some folks from South America and also in Asia.

I'd rather see creators getting funds for it, than people just making repros.

-----

Feb 14 at 9:00:34 AM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Not sure when the switch was made (i don't have an EE background), but another thing to take into consideration is that lots of bootleg nes/fc cartridge pcb:s are badly engineered to the detriment of your consoles' lifespan. I don't know exactly what year they shifted towards using 3.3v devices consistently but the result is usually unhealthy for your console. And simply clamping the voltage with a diode isn't a solution (even if it's pretty much a standard occurence in modern bootleg multicarts, also including those used by columbus circle according to some nesdev thread) - it just asks the output transistors in the nes/fc to provide more current than they were designed for as the excess voltage in the faux conversion is sunk straight to ground. Pirates don't care and bootleg consumers don't know, but it's basically like your console has picked up a smoking habit and it probably won't end well in the long run. Knowing that, i'd first and foremost make sure that every cartridge version is properly engineered. So sourcing appropriate bootlegs to recondition into new original games might be a bit iffy. 

(edited for the inclusion of a hyperlink)
Devices on cartridges need to be either:
-5v tolerant.
-3.3v/5v tolerant. 
-completely protected on all relevant lines by a proper logic level translator device or a discrete counterpart.

Or at least speaking for me, i wouldn't want to sell it. 

http://www.frankengraphics.com/ - personal NES homebrew blog

Edited: 02/14/2019 at 09:40 AM by FrankenGraphics