Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: NARC Contest ends Sunday, 4/21/13 at 10 PM NA time

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:09:46 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the newest instalmment of the weekly contests.  This week's game is going to be full of drugs, laundered money, drug warehouses & factories, machine guns, rockets, and...clowns?  That's right, this week you guys are playing NARC.  Here are the rules:

• Try to get as far in the game as possible
  • Lowest score in each stage takes precedence (ex. a score of 260,000 in Stage 6 is better than a score of 10,000 in Stage 4 because the first score was accomplished further in the game)
  • 1 player only
  • Play as far on your last life as you can without getting a Game Over.  If you get a Game Over and take a picture of your score, it will not count.  The idea is to play until just prior to getting a Game Over.
  • You may take your picture at any time while you're on your last life (You will be on your last life when you have no helmet icons remaining under your health bar)
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 4/21/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will not be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun   Oh, and say NO to drugs

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/21/2013 at 10:21 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:11:40 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Yay! Another game I can actually beat.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:19:34 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Rules revised

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 04/14/2013 at 10:53 PM by bimmy_lee

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:30:53 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
If somebody beats this, post in the "Can NA Beat Every NES" thread.
I would do it but I suck at this game.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:31:29 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I don't have this one so it looks like I'll get to take a break this week.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:34:14 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I'm currently revising the rules to this one due to some rules complications. Stay tuned.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:53:41 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Ok guys, the rules are now revised so that this will be a low score contest. Have fun and good luck

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:00:38 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Cool, I have never played this game but heard good things about it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:02:54 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Just make sure you're not playing while being 'high' or you'll get busted

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:06:15 PM
RoteDelano (10)
< Little Mac >
Colorado
Wait, lowest score possible? I'm not sure if I understand, is this game easy to max out on? I've never played it. The premise seems pretty interesting.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:12:00 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: RoteDelano

Wait, lowest score possible? I'm not sure if I understand, is this game easy to max out on? I've never played it. The premise seems pretty interesting.

The contest was changed to low score because it would have made it nearly pointless to "bust" the enemies if we were playing a high score contest with no point racking.  The whole point of busting enemies is to earn points and making point racking forbidden would have made this contest a mess as a high score contest.  Now, you want to get the lowest score possible while getting as far into the game as possible.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:12:28 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Lowest score since this game is so incredibly easy to point rack, I'm guessing. Also, I just beat the game, but forgot to take a picture of the Congrats screen, just in case anyone else can beat it, don't forget that part.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:17:49 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Disregard.  Was posted in the wrong thread.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 04/14/2013 at 11:23 PM by bimmy_lee

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:17:51 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

The contest was changed to low score because it would have made it nearly pointless to "bust" the enemies if we were playing a high score contest with no point racking.  The whole point of busting enemies is to earn points and making point racking forbidden would have made this contest a mess as a high score contest.  Now, you want to get the lowest score possible while getting as far into the game as possible.

I'd reverse you're wording to make it clearer on what should be everyone's strategy. You want to get as far in the game as possible, while getting the lowest score possible. The first objective is really to beat the game, and then questionning how to lower your score while beating it.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:19:29 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I'd reverse you're wording to make it clearer on what should be everyone's strategy. You want to get as far in the game as possible, while getting the lowest score possible. The first objective is really to beat the game, and then questionning how to lower your score while beating it.

Thanks for the clarification.  I need to do a better job on proofreading my posts

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:19:42 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Aww man...Battletoads never judged me...

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:24:58 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Thanks for the clarification.  I need to do a better job on proofreading my posts

I'm checking your back dude

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:25:44 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Krunch

Aww man...Battletoads never judged me...

I'm pretty sure Rash wear those glasses to hide something...

Edited: 04/15/2013 at 05:15 AM by guillavoie

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:09:11 AM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Sitting this one out since I don't have the game -- but I was just watching a Let's Play for NARC last week, so I can see how the rules for this contest make a lot of sense. Good stuff!

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:23:20 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Just wanted to post and say that I'm still alive and things are better although not completely back to normal. Making good progress though. I miss battling it out with you guys and am hopeful that I can return before the season is up, but I still have to get some things squared away before I can come back.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:25:23 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Nice to hear from you gutsman! Take care of yourself and your personal affairs, we will be there waiting on your return with arms wide open.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:57:45 AM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
This is awesome.. What a great way to break out random carts I haven't played in years. I just wish I'd known about this long ago cause it would have made me join sooner. One question, since trying to snap a pic just before you anticipate dying would be distracting. Would I be allowed to video the whole thing with my username on paper taped to the Tv and then screen cap the point just before dying?

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:07:45 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Welcome aboard GibbyVA

That's a good question. Right now, I would say it is okay to record yourself and take the picture after the fact. You may try yourself at snapping picture just before dying as well, since for now it is the official rule.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:09:48 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Ah, seems like a participation point week

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:12:03 AM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Ah, seems like a participation point week

I hear ya. I didn't play for too long but it's tough to wrap my head around it.

I think it's... odd how the quintessential anti-drug game has the most graphic violence I have seen on the NES outside of Chiller. Blowing those dudes up with rockets to have their guts fly everywhere is pretty explicit.

Maybe instead of "Just Say No" as their slogan they should have went with "Just Blow Up Everyone Packing a Dimebag and Everything will be Solved."