Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Stores that don't exist anymore Ready to go back in time?

May 11, 2017 at 10:29:34 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Trj22487

1990 Man browsing television sets in electronics store

Ahh, Old Man Bush giving us the lowdown on Operation Desert Shield and setting the stage for decades of warfare.

-------------------------

May 11, 2017 at 8:57:32 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Allegro

At first I was going to say Toys R Us doesn't seem to belong here since it's still open, but... nevermind. Modern Toys R Us is a shadow of its former self, especially in the video game department.
There are just so many things in the modern day that have limped to where we are, things that used to be such vital parts of Americana, yes some that still exist, that was somehow just sucked dry 15-20 years ago. It's hard to even get younger generations to believe that there used to be a genuine excitement in driving around a mountain and seeing that giant K-Mart sign or McDonalds arches off in the distance, seeing that updated 'hamburgers sold' number, or the stripes of a Toys R Us building. Maybe it's just because everything was newer, more original back then, things weren't quite as regurgitated and stripped as they are now. But there was genuinely something special to those simple occurances. I'm starting to feel pretty old when I say that I can genuinely remember when K-Mart stores actually had Grand Openings, and when you'd walk past a K-Mart cafe and the entire area would be packed with laughing, rowdy teenagers. I actually used to beg my Dad to specifically take me there for the nachos every Friday night. Were my standards just lower back then?.....no.....it was genuinely just better back then. How have Toys R Us and K-Mart existed for a decade without selling any videogames? When I was young, those stores just went hand-in-hand with checking out the best releases and the most selection. It all feels like it was a long time ago, but in reality, so much has changed in just a blink. With all of the quality of life changes we've had, I still feel sadness for the younger generation, because I truly believe in my heart that I was luckier than they are to have been born in the best time there ever was in USA. I go in a Toys R Us these days to check it out and it's almost like going to Old Navy.

Edited: 05/11/2017 at 09:07 PM by Trj22487

May 11, 2017 at 9:55:06 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Man, I remember when KMart had nachos... or a food court in general, even. I only had those nachos once, but goddamn if they weren't some of the greatest nachos I have ever had. Top notch stuff.

Also, are there actually Toys R Us stores that don't carry games? I've been into several across the country and every one I've ever set foot in still sells video games. KMart I know doesn't carry them anymore (at least, not my local one), but it seems unfathomable for Toys R Us.

May 12, 2017 at 12:03:08 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
A lot of stores have dropped their video game sections since the margin on new games and systems has become truly miserable. They have to dedicate that space and cash to products with actual margin.

Edited: 05/12/2017 at 12:03 PM by GCrites80s

May 12, 2017 at 12:07:16 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Remember shame-free McDonald's? With the McDonaldland characters and the playground. Now mostly senior citizens eat there and parents just looking to get feeding the kids out of the way for once.

May 12, 2017 at 12:59:38 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: GCrites80s

Remember shame-free McDonald's? With the McDonaldland characters and the playground. Now mostly senior citizens eat there and parents just looking to get feeding the kids out of the way for once.

Yep, I always felt like the luckiest kid in the world when one of my friends would have a birthday party there.
I miss when McDonalds had pure honey as a sauce option, that was always what I chose, of course they got rid of it...

Gettyimages actually had some pretty cool vintage shots of McDonalds

This was the oldest surviving McDonalds location in 1986, built in 1953 in Los Angeles, not some newer store made to look "retro"

This picture is actually local to me, this was the Manchester, New Hampshire McDonalds sometime in the 1980s

Here is a McDonalds in Harlem in the late 1980s

These are funny to think about these days, in 2000, Florida Burger King offers 20 minutes of internet use with purchase of meal.
How greased up do you think those computers got?

Edited: 05/12/2017 at 01:25 PM by Trj22487

May 12, 2017 at 4:29:46 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
No way could you have a birthday party at McDonald's now. Too many of the other kids' parents would be like "Hell no".

May 12, 2017 at 10:16:44 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Damn, you must have had to live in a hell of a city to have a Burger King netcafe. Ours were and still are some of the most outdated seeming restaurants - even after being "updated". For whatever reason though, it seemed to be the place of choice for kids to have birthday parties... I went to several and my parents had mine there at least twice because the manager was family. I ended up winning a raffle for the entire set of those Pokemon cards they had, "uncut" (but still perforated). Kind of wonder what those would be worth if I had kept them "uncut". I've never been able to resist the urge to tear along the dotted line.

... I wish I could still get a Double Cheeseburger for 99 cents. I really doubt they'd be losing money to sell them at that price, but people let them get away with the prices we have now, and they'll ride that train as long as we let them.

May 17, 2017 at 9:19:26 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Radio Shack seems to clearly be on its final legs of existance. The one in my town finally closed this year, the store only had a total of THREE employees in 2017.
Just about everyone I know my age or older seems to remember one point in their life where they were at Radio Shack just about every week.
I was going back through my old photos, I still have so many that I never posted (they generally aren't that interesting or are of stores that still are around)

But here is a nice one of the Radio Shack in Forest Hills, NY in the late 90s

And here was the mall location in Lake Grove, NY

Here is a store in 2015 where when Sprint bought out the chain, they took down the current sign and found a retro logo underneath

Edited: 05/18/2017 at 12:22 AM by Trj22487

May 18, 2017 at 11:38:56 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Radio Shack seems to clearly be on its final legs of existance. The one in my town finally closed this year, the store only had a total of THREE employees in 2017.
Just about everyone I know my age or older seems to remember one point in their life where they were at Radio Shack just about every week.
I was going back through my old photos, I still have so many that I never posted (they generally aren't that interesting or are of stores that still are around)

Based on what I was reading yesterday, they're supposed to officially close all locations by the end of this month, 5/31/2017, in less than two weeks.  This has hit me decently hard for several reasons, but not as hard as it would have had all of my local (within 200-miles) stores not closed during the first bankruptcy.

During my first "real" job (second job, but first one I really cared about), I worked across the hall from my local Radio Shack for ~4 years.  Used to see those guys daily when they'd come over to buy lunch, shoot the breeze or I'd wander over in their  direction to do the same.  That store's the one that "saved" my first LCD TV--my Samsung had bad caps and I was going to either replace them that night or just buy a new set while everybody was running sales; Radio Shack had the parts in the drawer, totalling less than $4, saving me quite a bit over getting a new TV.

Once I got into electronics repair (and moreso once I was actually trained), they were my go-to spot for components and solder accessories.  I still remember the shocked, blank look on an employee's face when I was out of town, my wife's car had blown a computer module, and after walking in, responded to the guy's innocent, well meaning "How can I help you" with a specific list of components and tools as long as my arm; he just pointed a shaky arm to the components in the back of the store while I zoomed off to get what I needed and my best friend's wife giggled and told him it was ok, I was like that.

Before that, I fondly remember stopping by every time I went to the mall.  Even as a teenager, I'd wander through, alone or with friends, and check out all of the newest, neatest doodads and gizmos (super accurate scientific terms there, but Radio Shack afficianados will know what I'm talking about).  Things definitely got more sugar coated as the years went by, with less and less of real interest showing up versus pre-packaged, ready to go items for the dumb masses.  I remember being fascinated by all of the various electronics kits and "experiments," the bins of various sizes and strengths of ceramic magnets, the free comics meant to show kids what electronics was all about and how cool they could be.  Remember the radiometers?  The breadboard learning kits?  The Armatron?  The toys in those days, sometimes licensed, sometimes not, were equally awesome to me.  They always had some sort of new handheld LCD game that was just as interesting and good as anything that Nintendo was putting out with the Game & Watch series.  I also remember "Galactic Man," how much I played with him while my dad and brother shopped, and how my friends (back then) wouldn't believe that Radio Shack had "Shockwave" well before the Transformers ever did.

While the rest of the world was getting (back) into consoles, I remember the first real computer in our household (my brother's) coming from Radio Shack.  A Tandy-1000, in all its glory.  With my parents having plundered my fledgling college fund to buy a new washer & dryer they couldn't afford, my brother took note and spent his on a brand new computer, a 1MB memory/clock card (pushing it from 128k to 640k + a RAM drive!), a 300 baud modem and a handful of games, leaving less than a dollar in the account.  My dad got kicked out of my brother's room and off of his computer pretty quickly (with Dad having the bad habit of playing games until the wee hours, keeping my brother up on school nights).  However, even as adversarial as we were then, my brother always invited me in to watch, "help" (quotes appropriate for the earliest days) or play on the system.  Thanks to that system (and the first of numerous copies of Pirates! we bought over the years), I learned to read a map, navigate via sun sight, and permanently recognize a large chunk of Florida, the Gulf region & Caribbean before most kids were willingly reading on their own.

Around the time I stopped working at the mall, a new manager had taken over my local store and shared with me the new (at that time) CEO's plans to turn Radio Shack back into the hobbyist destination that it had been in years past, bringing back the parts bins, de-emphasizing big, cheap, generic electronics (TVs, VCRs, even consoles around Christmas).  Unfortunately, as I heard, stockholders and the company's board disagreed with that idea and held the company to its fast track to oblivion.  I doubt it will happen, but I cross my fingers that some place will arise (nationally--I know places like Fry's exist which are similar, but are regional/non-national) to take the place of the Radio Shack of old.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

May 19, 2017 at 3:35:10 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
TRJ, those Best Buy pic brought back some memories, I worked there from Early 02-Summer 06. I worked the media dept. (Games, Computer Software, Music & Movies) and my store looked exactly like this for the time I worked there. Only real changes was dropping N64, PS1 and Gameboy Color as the new systems rolled in. We also updated our signage and displays changed to LCD around the launch of the Xbox 360.

Also as I side note, those middle 2 McDonalds pics are definitely dated wrong. The first in your hometown has a 92-94 Mercury Grand Marquis, and the Harlem one has a 92-97 crown vic taxi and a third gen Chevy Cavalier (tailights look like 93-94). My guess is mid 90s for both.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

May 19, 2017 at 3:43:02 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Based on what I was reading yesterday, they're supposed to officially close all locations by the end of this month, 5/31/2017, in less than two weeks.  This has hit me decently hard for several reasons, but not as hard as it would have had all of my local (within 200-miles) stores not closed during the first bankruptcy.

During my first "real" job (second job, but first one I really cared about), I worked across the hall from my local Radio Shack for ~4 years.  Used to see those guys daily when they'd come over to buy lunch, shoot the breeze or I'd wander over in their  direction to do the same.  That store's the one that "saved" my first LCD TV--my Samsung had bad caps and I was going to either replace them that night or just buy a new set while everybody was running sales; Radio Shack had the parts in the drawer, totalling less than $4, saving me quite a bit over getting a new TV.

Once I got into electronics repair (and moreso once I was actually trained), they were my go-to spot for components and solder accessories.  I still remember the shocked, blank look on an employee's face when I was out of town, my wife's car had blown a computer module, and after walking in, responded to the guy's innocent, well meaning "How can I help you" with a specific list of components and tools as long as my arm; he just pointed a shaky arm to the components in the back of the store while I zoomed off to get what I needed and my best friend's wife giggled and told him it was ok, I was like that.

Before that, I fondly remember stopping by every time I went to the mall.  Even as a teenager, I'd wander through, alone or with friends, and check out all of the newest, neatest doodads and gizmos (super accurate scientific terms there, but Radio Shack afficianados will know what I'm talking about).  Things definitely got more sugar coated as the years went by, with less and less of real interest showing up versus pre-packaged, ready to go items for the dumb masses.  I remember being fascinated by all of the various electronics kits and "experiments," the bins of various sizes and strengths of ceramic magnets, the free comics meant to show kids what electronics was all about and how cool they could be.  Remember the radiometers?  The breadboard learning kits?  The Armatron?  The toys in those days, sometimes licensed, sometimes not, were equally awesome to me.  They always had some sort of new handheld LCD game that was just as interesting and good as anything that Nintendo was putting out with the Game & Watch series.  I also remember "Galactic Man," how much I played with him while my dad and brother shopped, and how my friends (back then) wouldn't believe that Radio Shack had "Shockwave" well before the Transformers ever did.

While the rest of the world was getting (back) into consoles, I remember the first real computer in our household (my brother's) coming from Radio Shack.  A Tandy-1000, in all its glory.  With my parents having plundered my fledgling college fund to buy a new washer & dryer they couldn't afford, my brother took note and spent his on a brand new computer, a 1MB memory/clock card (pushing it from 128k to 640k + a RAM drive!), a 300 baud modem and a handful of games, leaving less than a dollar in the account.  My dad got kicked out of my brother's room and off of his computer pretty quickly (with Dad having the bad habit of playing games until the wee hours, keeping my brother up on school nights).  However, even as adversarial as we were then, my brother always invited me in to watch, "help" (quotes appropriate for the earliest days) or play on the system.  Thanks to that system (and the first of numerous copies of Pirates! we bought over the years), I learned to read a map, navigate via sun sight, and permanently recognize a large chunk of Florida, the Gulf region & Caribbean before most kids were willingly reading on their own.

Around the time I stopped working at the mall, a new manager had taken over my local store and shared with me the new (at that time) CEO's plans to turn Radio Shack back into the hobbyist destination that it had been in years past, bringing back the parts bins, de-emphasizing big, cheap, generic electronics (TVs, VCRs, even consoles around Christmas).  Unfortunately, as I heard, stockholders and the company's board disagreed with that idea and held the company to its fast track to oblivion.  I doubt it will happen, but I cross my fingers that some place will arise (nationally--I know places like Fry's exist which are similar, but are regional/non-national) to take the place of the Radio Shack of old.

When I usee to DJ we would boost needles formthe turntables from radio shack, they had stanton 500 cartridges with a realistic brand label, miles of speaker wire also

May 19, 2017 at 3:52:46 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

When I usee to DJ we would boost needles formthe turntables from radio shack, they had stanton 500 cartridges with a realistic brand label, miles of speaker wire also

LOL!  I never stole anything from Radio Shack, but that does remind me of when my boss let me take cash from the register, go to Radio Shack and buy up enough odds and ends (big spool of speaker wire, wire cutters & several deeply discounted speakers meant for installation in a car or building a stereo speaker from scratch) to add extra speakers all through the back of our store as well as out into the lobby.  If you saw what we rigged up, it looked terrible, but functioned fantastically in comparison to the horrid, failing speakers that came with the stereo we kept in back.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

May 26, 2017 at 1:41:14 PM
The Count (106)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
Here's a current picture of the former Circuit City in Coon Rapids, MN. It closed in 2009, I believe, and is still vacant.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:34:02 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Just wanted to let everyone know that I still have not given up on restoring this thread, I am still in the process of fixing all of the dead Photobucket links throughout this thread, and will fully restore everything eventually. Thanks to all who have shared in this thread, I've enjoyed everything that has been shared!

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:28:45 AM
MrFaust (27)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
K-Mart is on its way out. Just a few more years an it'll be no more.

We can't game here, it's Donkey Kong Country.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:13:07 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: MrFaust

K-Mart is on its way out. Just a few more years an it'll be no more.

Well, when the entire store looks like it is still stuck in the 70s, uhh yea...

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:46:15 AM
MrFaust (27)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
What's wrong with the 70's?

We can't game here, it's Donkey Kong Country.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:38:13 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Nothing, but when the computers are outdated the shelves are rusted like they were installed in the 70's then you start to have a problem.

I can understand if a business has a theme going, but they fix up the store and tech. The newest thing at the register for KMart are the little cresit card swipers. At least from the KMarts I have gone to. The computers/regiaters are still pretty old, clunky and seem like a hassle to use.

Edited: 08/13/2017 at 08:38 AM by Mega Tank

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:03:06 AM
zfleming54 (65)
< Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Nothing, but when the computers are outdated the shelves are rusted like they were installed in the 70's then you start to have a problem.

I can understand if a business has a theme going, but they fix up the store and tech. The newest thing at the register for KMart are the little cresit card swipers. At least from the KMarts I have gone to. The computers/regiaters are still pretty old, clunky and seem like a hassle to use.

I was discussing K-mart, when I was a child, with my wife a few days ago. She claims they always felt like a third-world country but I don't remember feeling like I was going to get cornered by a pack of rabid raccoons 20 years ago. Now I have to put on a go-pro and chronicle my whereabouts...

Switch Friend Code: SW-4911-9662-4119

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:22:26 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
K-Mart a third world country? This is how I remember K-Mart as a kid, it was the department store 25 years ago...

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:29:46 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

K-Mart a third world country? This is how I remember K-Mart as a kid, it was the department store 25 years ago...

Minus the video game section, Kmart is still very much the same.

I know I am pointing out its flaws, but I very much wish it could still be around 10 years from now revamped, but I don't see that happening.

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:57:31 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Still working on trying to revive this thread, the original post is about 50% recovered at this point

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:13:41 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: The Count

Here's a current picture of the former Circuit City in Coon Rapids, MN. It closed in 2009, I believe, and is still vacant.

this just looks like the southern third of Memphis to me.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:12:23 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
My local Kmart closed last month, although I'm surpirsed it didn't close 5-10 years ago. The only thing that seemed to keep it alive was Little Caesars and their Hot and Readys! lol
This thread is both exciting and depressing at the same time for me somehow. I love seeing all the old pictures of places that were a huge part of my childhood, but it's sad to know that so many of them are no longer around. I just hope that if I ever do have kids, that ToysRus is still around to some degree, so I can witness the joy and excitement that my parents witnessed in me.